Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 11:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
You'll all end up in the same nursing home, dribbling into your soup.
That said, in the intervening years, it's certainly preferable to choose a partner with whom you are compatible, with whom you share values, experiences, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLeeza
Plenty of school teachers draw low salaries, probably lower than a lot of waiters or waitresses. But I think that most would say that that is a very respectable job.
Oh, there are plenty who wouldn't deign to partner up with a lowly educator, believe me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 12:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
A McD franchise is more expensive to start than most restaurants.

However, if you've been making a consistent 100k until you're in your 40s .. you very well should have the money to start a restaurant unless you're bad with your money.
Or some other venture that interests you. If you've made good money and saved it up, you're not beholden to whether or not employers are interested in hiring you, you can fund your own self-employment ventures.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:44 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Where I live, its rude to talk about money, count other peoples money, etc.

No one knows what the income of the other is.

You could be a truck driver and earn 100k+ so its pointless speculating. I know a guy who cycled around the area on a chopper kids bike collecting rent from the gazillion properties he owned, who looked like he didn't have 2 cents to rub together.
Being a truck driver myself, it's a bit on the difficult side to date anyone in the same profession.
What few women that do perform this job are either already married, or after side-chatting a few times, no matching interests what-so-ever(that country folk stereotype they all adhere to again).

Like I've mentioned in other threads, it may involve having to move again.
But I've found some "near matches" when it came to riding my bicycle along trails and downtown bike lanes.
Most all of the brief conversations I've managed to conjure up had me chatting with many women with some sort of college education.

Something about pedals, cranks, and two wheels that just eases people up and brings them together.
I don't say too many positive things on these forums, but that could be one of them.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:54 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I think if you don't get hung up on money, it can be fine.

I grew up middle class, with a working class tilt to my extended family, but then I attended private schools all my life. I have friends all over the socioeconomic ladder.

I'm white collar, but tend to date working class or at least guys who were born working class. I've always dated very smart men. I appreciated their difference in perspective, and our friends have never had any trouble getting along.

However, I have a huge issue with guys who grew up comfortably middle class and never pushed themselves. I went out on a date with a guy who was 40 and working a crap job despite having a college degree. He blamed his choice of major. I blamed the fact that he admitted to taking off several years to follow a band. He had two kids and was still relying on his parents for help. I'm not a particularly ambitious person, but that kind of stupidity irritates the crap out of me.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:37 PM

709 posts, read 766,220 times
Why wouldn't you date a cashier? No more Target or grocery store bills.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:10 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
This sort of thing probably works better if the man is the major earner. Male lawyer introduces his Hooters waitress girlfriend to his colleagues - OK fine. Female lawyer introduces an equally hot waiter boyfriend - probably won't go over as well.

As they say, a man's wealth is his beauty, but a woman's beauty is her wealth.

Of course it depends on what the intended relationship is - if a traditional marriage with kids and a stay at home parent is desired - might work OK. If someone wants a more or less equal partner who brings as much to the table as they do - not so much.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:27 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
I have a friend...ex Navy officer (Annapolis grad), high ranking HR professional in the software industry pulls in the comfortable 6 figures....when her marriage ended years ago she started dating a bartender..it's been years now...they are still together...he's still a bartender.

It's really not about the job one holds....it's about the people in the relationship they have.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:15 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLeeza View Post
Is it really about the salary that a waiter/waitress or cashier makes or is it about the job itself? Plenty of school teachers draw low salaries, probably lower than a lot of waiters or waitresses. But I think that most would say that that is a very respectable job. Besides, plenty of waiters/waitresses and cashiers are putting themselves through school or just trying to get by in between other jobs. It isn't always a career objective to hold these positions.

I suppose that if I was embarrassed by someone's job, I wouldn't date them. But lower salary doesn't automatically mean embarrassing. I'm sure many adult film actors make tons of money, but I would definitely be embarrassed to date one of them (not that there is anything wrong with that).
Very true. Nor is it an indication of education, intelligence, culture, class, respectability, or anything like that. People seem to forget that crack dealers and pimps can make oodles of money, however that doesn't make them intelligent or worthy of respect. Then there are legitimate professions that pay ridiculous amounts of money, in my opinion wholly undeservedly - I'm looking at the entertainment industry, models, rap stars, pro football players, and various Kardashians.

And then there are teachers, social workers, talented artists, writers, classical musicians, historians, those with graduate degrees in arts or social sciences, and various other pursuits that require significant intelligence, focus, dedication, skill or talent, and yet pay miserable salaries or are simply impossible to find jobs in at all, relegating the individuals to working as Starbucks baristas and retail employees. Would someone with, say, a philosophy or art history degree who is working as a waitress because she's unable to find work in her field be considered 'beneath' a lawyer or engineer in standing? As opposed to a stripper who earns almost as much as said lawyer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships