Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 09:31 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,160 times

Advertisements

It is to me, and no it's not because I'm leaving my options open for something else. I've never wanted kids, and marriage has just never been a priority to me. I could change my mind, but at this point nothing has swayed me so far. I'm just happy I've reached the stage where marriage is as unimportant to women my age as it is to me. Makes life simpler. Now to others it is very significant and I respect that. Another case of different strokes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 10:03 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
I consider it as a big commercial moneymaker most of the time. Marriage is big business, big money.

For some it's just to satisfy elders who're still locked into customs and religions.
For others that piece of paper is like a security blanket...it's the proof that they require...the proof that shows that they've made a commitment to be with another.
If there were no more rights given to the married than are given to the just living togethers I sometimes think a lot of people wouldn't bother.
To me, and my significant other of 40 years...yes, it really IS just a piece of paper....that's evidenced by the 50% divorce rate I think.
We've enjoyed our lives together and raised 4 children, and a marriage certificate {really} had nothing to do with it.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:06 AM

371 posts, read 543,657 times
It isn't for me. I have been in a few long term relationships. The guys never asked me to marry them. I was not important enough I suppose... most of them have all gone on to marry the very next woman they dated. To me, if a guy does not want to marry me, then I will be kicking him to the curb because I have wasted too much time for the guys who had me for a right now and not a forever. So to me, it is more of a show of they actually really want to be with me for the reason I want someone to be with me. Not a convenience.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:07 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I consider it as a big commercial moneymaker most of the time. Marriage is big business, big money.
Eh. It's only as big a moneymaker as you let it be.

Here, a marriage license is $58. Officiant fees vary.

Marriage isn't a big business. The wedding/event planning industry sure is, but "marriage" and "wedding" are not the same things, although they are often used and thought about interchangeably.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:10 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFiftyFour View Post
It isn't for me. I have been in a few long term relationships. The guys never asked me to marry them. I was not important enough I suppose... most of them have all gone on to marry the very next woman they dated. To me, if a guy does not want to marry me, then I will be kicking him to the curb because I have wasted too much time for the guys who had me for a right now and not a forever. So to me, it is more of a show of they actually really want to be with me for the reason I want someone to be with me. Not a convenience.
Aww. Sorry to hear that. I have experienced that too and I walked away. To be in a relationship for years and it to not progress further was not something I was looking for. And I was also told "it is just a piece of paper, you can have commitment without it." And then I realized he wasn't committed to me either but I was to him.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:12 AM

371 posts, read 543,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
Aww. Sorry to hear that. I have experienced that too and I walked away. To be in a relationship for years and it to not progress further was not something I was looking for. And I was also told "it is just a piece of paper, you can have commitment without it." And then I realized he wasn't committed to me either but I was to him.
That is EXACTLY what they would tell me!!!! Here I am, 30 years old, and still single!

Old 06-23-2015, 10:29 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,860 times
Quote:
That is EXACTLY what they would tell me!!!! Here I am, 30 years old, and still single!
I decided to no longer drop years into someone once I can see writing on the wall. Someone that loves you will make you first; they will know pretty early on if they want to be with you long-term. The mistake I made before is I bought all the BS excuses on why my prior relationship could not go to the next level. I wanted to believe that you did not need to be married to prove you are committed, but to be honest, I really did want that commitment regardless of what others kept saying. I do not see marriage as a piece of paper at all.

I was simply just a placeholder while that person continued to look. He had someone to hang out with, sleep with and cook for him in the meantime. I am now engaged to someone that treats me well and has made it very clear how he feels for me. It is a completely different experience from that dead-end relationship from before.

I am sure there is someone out there for you. 30 is still young; I am actually slightly older than you. Keep your chin up. Cut people off that waste your time.

What it boils down to is if you are both wanting the same things. There are couples that never marry and that is fine for them, I am just not one of those people is all.

Last edited by jabber_wocky; 06-23-2015 at 10:55 AM..

Old 06-23-2015, 10:31 AM

914 posts, read 766,191 times
Quote:
Still a spring chicken

Old 06-23-2015, 10:41 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,283 times
It was clear for both of us that we are going to make it official via "piece of paper" . It is piece of paper in negative meaning , it is easy and fast to divorce if there is a need for it. But it is valuable commitment and has influence for some legal rights, in positivive meaning this litle piece of paper has big influence in things. It is not just commitment between me and my hubby but it is also commitment with society, laws and rules. And it is nice to mark this box "married" in documents, lol

Old 06-23-2015, 10:48 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
I do not see it as "just a piece of paper" nor do I think a longterm, unmarried couple lacks a commitment.

My SO and I have considered marriage before for various practical reasons (mainly stemming from the fact that we are of different nationalities) but I do not think it would change--any by that I mean improve or degrade--our already long, mostly happy union. Our relationship is the commitment--our intertwined lives, our share home, our love for one another and our sticking it out through the rough patches. No one is looking for an easy out here. Others prefer to be legally wed as a sign of commitment and that's fine too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships