Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 04:02 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It's a piece of paper that endows certain rights and privileges. That to me is worthwhile, though the term "marriage" doesn't mean anything more special than a committed partnership.
Apparently it does, or a so-called "committed partnership" would come with that worthwhile piece of paper too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 05:28 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
Yes and no. I think that piece of paper affords you more rights in certain (most?) states than a long-term relationship. I also know several couples who are in very long-term relationships that don't include that piece of paper. I had been planning that (long-term relationship without marriage), but turns out getting married actually made me feel *more* committed to the relationship than I expected. So there is something special about that piece of paper

Old 06-24-2015, 05:46 PM

13 posts, read 8,706 times
It's not just a piece of paper to me. Those words are often spoken by people who have no belief in marriage . It's okay if they are happy, but that's not me.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:57 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
It is to me, and no it's not because I'm leaving my options open for something else. I've never wanted kids, and marriage has just never been a priority to me. I could change my mind, but at this point nothing has swayed me so far. I'm just happy I've reached the stage where marriage is as unimportant to women my age as it is to me. Makes life simpler.
We felt this way, too. We started dating in our 40s, neither of us had ever been married, knew we weren't going to have kids, and were pretty content living together and knowing we would be life partners. Then we started thinking about the future -- protecting and providing for one another financially, making decisions in the event of a medical situation, etc. We realized the practicalities of marriage were too great to ignore. So we went ahead and tied the knot at age 45. And as it turns out, marriage does bring with it a sense of deeper commitment, just like Brad Pitt said.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:38 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,434,030 times
No! It is not a piece of paper. If you were married with a minister or pastor and you said vows and God was part of your wedding, it is much, much more than just a piece of paper, with or without children!

Old 06-26-2015, 06:55 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
I have spoken to several people that have children that feel "marriage is just a piece of paper". They have no intentions of marrying the mother/father of their children, even though they have been together for years. The people I speak of are under the age of 35 and never been married.

Do you also feel this way and why?

I am not passing judgement, just asking a question, so please do not bite my head off.
Marriage is whatever two people make of it. The idea that it has some blanket definition is nonsense. Given the vast differences in people and their relationships, how could it?

So the notion that my marriage is 'just a piece of paper' because someone else has no use for the institution is just an exercise in self-absorption by that person.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:43 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Congratulations to the gay couples who are finally able to get that little piece of paper.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:31 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
No! It is not a piece of paper. If you were married with a minister or pastor and you said vows and God was part of your wedding, it is much, much more than just a piece of paper, with or without children!
I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of people married without a pastor or God being part of the procedure who also feel that it's more than a piece of paper, too. For people to whom marriage is meaningful, it's meaningful no matter their faith background or spiritual traditions or individual beliefs.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:01 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Yes there is, but can we agree that mainly the benefits of marriage are to the woman? Children are protected by an evolving set of financial safety nets that secure ongoing support from men that have left their families.

Let's ask why that is. Could it be because of all the deadbeat fathers out doing the F and run? Leaving the woman to take care of the kids By themselves.. There were a lot of women up to the 80s when the laws changed that were single moms taking care of kids by themselves. (Hell there still are a lot of roman doing it and still lots of deadbeat fathers put there still today. And the dad showed up once a year with some toys to profess their love of their child. Yet the other 364 days he was not heard from. Sure there are some fathers who love their children and would support no matter what. Those aren't the ones I'm talking about

In 33% of American married households women out-earn their male partners.

Women joined the work force. They had to so their kid had food on the table or a myriad of other reasons. Either way so what? Women are still paid less than men to do the SAME job.

In only 5% of divorce decrees is a woman partner directed to pay any form of spousal support or alimony to a male plaintiff.

Because men make more money, they usually do not get the kids either. Women have been ordered to pay spousal support when they make more money

Ironically it is often a man pushing hard for that legal validation of a long term relationship. Even when children are not planned on.

Says who?

You talk about marriage as if there is only one person that benefits out of it. If you look at marriage as a business arrangement these yeah it's gonna fail. I seem to benefit out of my marriage just fine for the last 20 years. I have no complaints.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:38 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
Hmm. Maybe the piece of paper symbolizes the fragility of marriage as it is torn and crumpled so easily. And perhaps it represents the pain when it ends (as so many do), as that marriage certificate is folded until it's all sharp corners and shoved up your anal sphincter by your former loved one and the court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships