Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 08:34 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owls19 View Post
I already pay for my phone and I bought myself my computer. I have met him face to face if Skype counts. As for the background check, when I first met him and started to develop feelings I googled his name and looked for things that would tell me to end things or it was a dangerous situation and I couldn't find any.
He may very well be a great guy but talking on Skype is not meeting him, it's just talking. Meeting in person will give you better idea and you should meet but going a long way against the express wish of your parents is a recipe for trouble - perhaps many kinds - and that will not help your relationship. Not sure your age, but when you start University you are free to manage your own time and then can decide what to do.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:36 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
I've been dating this guy for several months now long distance and I've been thinking about going to California to visit him. I'm 18 so I know I can do what I want but my parents are very strict. My fear is if I go to California to see my boyfriend my parents will take away my phone and computer and therefore I won't be able to talk to him for about a month until I go to college in August. I really love my boyfriend and I really want to meet him. So I put the question out to you guys. Do I take a risk and go to California to meet him or stay home and not go?

No you do not go and meet him and

how in the world do you believe that you "Love" someone without even meeting him face to face?

Old 06-22-2015, 08:38 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
I do have a job and I'm paying for it myself.
No, you're not. You're paying for it with the money that your parents let you have instead of charging you for all the stuff they give you.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:38 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
He may very well be a great guy but talking on Skype is not meeting him, it's just talking. Meeting in person will give you better idea and you should meet but going a long way against the express wish of your parents is a recipe for trouble - perhaps many kinds - and that will not help your relationship. Not sure your age, but when you start University you are free to manage your own time and then can decide what to do.

The original poster already said she is 18 but it appears her parents still hold tight of the money and what she is allowed to do on their dime.

Also, it is doubtful she will be free to manage her own time and actions when she goes to college since Mom and Dad are probably going to pay for that as well.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:52 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Skype doesn't count.

You need to wait.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:59 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,885 times
Lots of good advice here but you're not receptive to it. The guy is a stranger who you know through the computer and want to travel across country to meet. What could go wrong Don't do it.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:01 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
We Skype every night for hours and it's really hard to say goodnight because neither of us wants to. He's offering to pay for the flight also.
Invite him to visit you and to meet your parents. He can use that money for his plane ticket.

I bet that he will come up with a million excuses.

Ask him today and let us know what he says.

Hey, I bet he would love to come to your families July 4th picnic and meet Grandma, Grandpa and all the aunts, uncles & cousins. If he really loved you he would immediately buy the plane tickets.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-22-2015 at 09:12 AM..

Old 06-22-2015, 09:12 AM

780 posts, read 678,871 times
Go to college, experience the new life in college and if after the semester you still feel like seeing this guy, then maybe he can go visit you instead. Maybe your parents will be more comfortable if you meet a guy online when you are in your territory.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:49 AM

11 posts, read 7,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Invite him to visit you and to meet your parents. He can use that money for his plane ticket.

I bet that he will come up with a million excuses.

Ask him today and let us know what he says.

Hey, I bet he would love to come to your families July 4th picnic and meet Grandma, Grandpa and all the aunts, uncles & cousins. If he really loved you he would immediately buy the plane tickets.
We've talked a lot about seeing each other and he's more than willing to come visit me. I have a habit of asking him everyday when he's coming, and I know it's a bad habit. At this point I'm not ready to introduce him to my parents or to any family but he's ready to introduce me to his mom and sister. I just got off the phone with him and he said possibly in July he'll come visit me and stay a weekend. But when I go to college I'll have more freedom to come and go as I please.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:08 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
You're essentially meeting this guy for a weekend of sex - even he turns out to be ugly. Distance always gets worse after sex (or, better after bad sex! Lol.. ) Don't squander your resources and emotions. Find someone in your own city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships