Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 11:29 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,445,659 times

Advertisements

If you are satisfied with your decision then that's really all that matters. What other people think is not important. I'm in a very good relationship now, but I have spent a good portion of my life on own and have zero regrets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 11:35 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,612,862 times
Nah, not necessarily.

If you are happy and satisfied with your life, and not being in a relationship or involved with somebody is something that really feels right to you, where's the problem?

Old 06-24-2015, 11:38 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,357,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallcrisp View Post
I don't believe that would ever happen...women have better instincts for this and they can easily sense when someone is not available. But if that happened I would show signs I'm not available in a discreet manner.
I admire your resolve, OP. I couldn't do it at your age; passing up all the hot tail.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:43 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,532,604 times
Since you are asking...., yeah I find it odd. Primarily because I believe you express the opinion "that nothing good could come out of a romantic relationship with someone like myself". That strikes me as very sad. That rather than trying to work on emotional issues that prevent you from dealing with frustration, other's expectations, you choose to deny any possibility of an intimate relationship. Friends are great but if you can maintain friendships, what prevents you from a deeper relationship? If I felt that way, I would be inclined to seek some therapy to explore my feelings and beliefs. I'm not saying that people who choose to be single are mentally ill. I'm saying that you define yourself as someone who is incapable of an intimate relationship. Could it be that you fear intimacy and that fear is so difficult to face that you choose a life alone? That is a bit different than having zero desire for one.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:45 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,003,083 times
Quote:
I don't believe that would ever happen...women have better instincts for this and they can easily sense when someone is not available. But if that happened I would show signs I'm not available in a discreet manner.

Oh don't worry, you won't have to.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:50 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,643,246 times
Default single ag 24

Quote:
I'm a 24 year old man. I've never had a girlfriend or any kind of intimate contact with a woman. I'm currently taking my master's in mechanical engineering.

Apart from being busy with my studies, I grew up in a difficult home environment and have a lot of trouble dealing with frustration, anxiety and other people's expectations, especially on a more intimate level (friendships and so). I also have a difficult temper at home which makes domestic life rather hard when I'm around.

So with all this in the mixture, it seemed like the natural choice to decide to stay single for life. I have absolutely nothing against women...there are the good and the bad just like everything else in life. I have nothing against relationships, all of my friends are in one and fortunately most of them happy. My own brother has a terrific girlfriend as well.

I have many good friends, both male and female. We always have plans for weekends, I exercise a lot as well and have plenty of hobbies (cinema, music, reading, plane spotting, etc).

Simply nothing good could come out of a romantic relationship with someone like myself so I invest a lot in my friendships...I believe friends can be for life.

Obviously this is also an easy decision for me because no woman has ever shown any interest in me...I have a few friends that could never keep such a decision because all women fall at their feet.

Is this a very odd choice in my generation?
You sound totally fine to me. Whether you ever choose to marry or not is your choice and think your knowing yourself this well is a plus in your column. At some point you may change your mind but honestly,24 is way too young to marry. Get your degree, and work and live anywhere in the world that will benefit you.Good luck

Old 06-24-2015, 12:02 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,994,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I admire your resolve, OP. I couldn't do it at your age; passing up all the hot tail.
Based on his first post, hot tail is not exactly something he deals with daily.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:05 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,849,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
No. Sounds smart.

Congrats on knowing your limitations.
I second this.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being single for life, and it's certainly smart at the age of 24. Having said that, you're very young. You might change your mind in the future if you feel in a better emotional position. Then again, if you don't, that's cool, too. There are no rules.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:13 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,451,854 times
Quote:
Could you explain why do you think so?
In MY opinion it is socially strange, unusual. It isn't bad, just unusual.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:13 PM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
OP, you're in college. So you have access to free counseling. Please consider getting some to help resolve your family-background issues, the anxiety, etc. This is the only time in your life when you'll have access to FREE counseling. It would be wise to take advantage of it. Once you get over the difficult emotional history, you'll naturally make different choices. You won't have to self-isolate. Life will become richer and more rewarding. Think about it. You deserve happiness in lieu of anxiety, frustration, and a temperamental nature. You really can turn this around, with the right therapist. This does not have to be the status quo for the rest of your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships