Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 12:44 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,012 times

Advertisements

I have been a five lunch or dinner as first date and it's so awkward when you realize that it is not going work but food or check has arrived yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 12:47 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I don't want to eat on a first date.

You don't have to drink coffee on a coffee date.

Would like to sit comfortably and talk.

Guess a drink would be fine but not many quiet places to grab booze and chit chat.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:49 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
People listen in on obvious first dates in bars and restaurants, too. Been there, done that. It's often quite obvious when it's a first/blind date. Doesn't matter if it's a cafe or not.

hahah yeah exactly, I always try to listen in on dates

My fiance and I only speak Spanish so we can analyze people's dates and what they're thinking and we don't even have to worry about them understanding.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
All first/blind dates where it becomes apparent early on that it's not happening contain (at least) an element of the awkward, by nature. Doesn't matter where they take place, what's being served, or what the activity is.

If you identify prior to the end of date #1 that it's not happening, it's easier to walk away from a casual date that consisted of a cup of coffee/tea/whatever and feel like nobody's really out time or money or dignity than if you go out whole hog on some costly, elaborate date with a big bar bill, meal provided, etc. that sucked up a whole evening. At most, you're out maybe an hour and the cost of a cup of coffee. It's low stakes. Not all first dates are. This is appealing to some.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:21 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,620,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
I don't get why coffee date are hated.
I had two guys whine when I suggest it.
Guys hating coffee dates?? Completely new to me.

My guess is that these dudes are really using that excuse to cover up the
fact that they have poor conversational skills. Some guys cannot keep a conversation
going with a woman if their lives depended on it.

Makes no sense to me. Why would any man shy away from a date that costs him less than $5.

Ridiculous.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:30 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
All first/blind dates where it becomes apparent early on that it's not happening contain (at least) an element of the awkward, by nature. Doesn't matter where they take place, what's being served, or what the activity is.

If you identify prior to the end of date #1 that it's not happening, it's easier to walk away from a casual date that consisted of a cup of coffee/tea/whatever and feel like nobody's really out time or money or dignity than if you go out whole hog on some costly, elaborate date with a big bar bill, meal provided, etc. that sucked up a whole evening. At most, you're out maybe an hour and the cost of a cup of coffee. It's low stakes. Not all first dates are. This is appealing to some.

Being new to OLD it takes time to develop those skills to handle graceful rejection when you realize you're not a good fit.

What's tough for me is balancing getting to know someone to determine fit and feeling like you're being interrogated.

I don't like how some women are so direct and probing...........we just met don't expect me to divulge my entire life right off we are here to meet/date not screening for marriage proposal.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:36 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
IDK. If I'm into him, I don't care if we're at a tractor pull (although I'm not quite sure what a tractor pull consists of); I just want to get to know him better, and the setting is irrelevant.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:43 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
IDK. If I'm into him, I don't care if we're at a tractor pull (although I'm not quite sure what a tractor pull consists of); I just want to get to know him better, and the setting is irrelevant.
Good post. When a woman responds like you do I know we have potential and it shows their interested.

I hope some guys really struggling read this post of yours because it's a good qualifier IMO.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:47 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Personally, I'd prefer a coffee date. I can get to know someone without wasting too much money.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
What's tough for me is balancing getting to know someone to determine fit and feeling like you're being interrogated.

I don't like how some women are so direct and probing...........we just met don't expect me to divulge my entire life right off we are here to meet/date not screening for marriage proposal.
What do you think a first-time meeting should involve, information-wise, with somebody about whom you know very little, and wish to assess whether or not you should continue to see him/her? How do you get to know one another better without a lot of conversation time, which typically involves a good number of questions?

Honest question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships