Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 07:23 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times

Advertisements

Some men (and maybe women, but I don't generally read their profiles) make a point of commenting on their gift for sarcasm in their profiles.

Do they think that is a cool thing that women are looking for and therefore they should brag about it?

Or are they aware that some women don't like it and are warning us if we can't take it, don't bother them?

I certainly appreciate a good sense of humor, and I love irony and I can be somewhat facetious and even snarky at times. When I use sarcasm, it is only directed at situations, not people. For example, if I am driving down the street and I see a tree has fallen on someone's car, I say "OMG< I hate it when a tree falls on my car" and then continue with genuine empathy for the plight of the car owner.

But I see sarcasm employed as veiled hostility and an attempt to keep other people in their place, so if a guy mention it in a profile, I keep looking. My ex constantly 'teased' me, esp in front of his family, as if I were his kid sister, and did a lot of damage as a result. He needed to maintain his position in the pecking order, and that did not include supporting his wife.

what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 07:25 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I agree with you. Words are weapons, sharper than knives.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:33 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Some men (and maybe women, but I don't generally read their profiles) make a point of commenting on their gift for sarcasm in their profiles.

Do they think that is a cool thing that women are looking for and therefore they should brag about it?

Or are they aware that some women don't like it and are warning us if we can't take it, don't bother them?

I certainly appreciate a good sense of humor, and I love irony and I can be somewhat facetious and even snarky at times. When I use sarcasm, it is only directed at situations, not people. For example, if I am driving down the street and I see a tree has fallen on someone's car, I say "OMG< I hate it when a tree falls on my car" and then continue with genuine empathy for the plight of the car owner.

But I see sarcasm employed as veiled hostility and an attempt to keep other people in their place, so if a guy mention it in a profile, I keep looking. My ex constantly 'teased' me, esp in front of his family, as if I were his kid sister, and did a lot of damage as a result. He needed to maintain his position in the pecking order, and that did not include supporting his wife.

what do you think?

Some women hate sarcasm. I would not want to date such a person.

Some women love it and dish it. I would like to date such a woman.

These profiles exist to help us find the right match for us. If it isn't your thing, don't bother with them. Both parties will be better off.

Thankfully I live now (again) in the Northeast where most everyone embraces the most refined form of humour in the world: dry humor.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:01 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,285,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Some women hate sarcasm. I would not want to date such a person.

Some women love it and dish it. I would like to date such a woman.

These profiles exist to help us find the right match for us. If it isn't your thing, don't bother with them. Both parties will be better off.

Thankfully I live now (again) in the Northeast where most everyone embraces the most refined form of humour in the world: dry humor.
The thing about sarcasm is that it can give the impression that you want to say what you want and when you want too. I like sarcasm too, but it can become tiresome after a while. It feels as if the person can't focus on ever being serious.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:17 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
In line with giving people the benefit of the doubt, this one. ^^^

BTW, don't assume that sarcasm will necessarily be directed at you. I knew a fellow who was a master at the art of sarcastic self-deprecation. He was comfortable enough to laugh at himself, which is entirely too rare these days. Nothing brutal, just funny and ironic. "Yes, I'm Ivy-educated and roam the halls of power, but God forbid I get through a meal without getting something on my tie. I should just take a bib everywhere."

Old 07-13-2015, 08:43 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
In line with giving people the benefit of the doubt, this one. ^^^

BTW, don't assume that sarcasm will necessarily be directed at you. I knew a fellow who was a master at the art of sarcastic self-deprecation. He was comfortable enough to laugh at himself, which is entirely too rare these days. Nothing brutal, just funny and ironic. "Yes, I'm Ivy-educated and roam the halls of power, but God forbid I get through a meal without getting something on my tie. I should just take a bib everywhere."
I don't mind this type of humor, but some forms of sarcasm are just boring.

I used to talk to a guy who thought he had a great sense of humor. He would comment that I don't get "dry" humor. Um, no; I don't get unfunny humor.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:00 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
I don't mind this type of humor, but some forms of sarcasm are just boring.

I used to talk to a guy who thought he had a great sense of humor. He would comment that I don't get "dry" humor. Um, no; I don't get unfunny humor.
Humor is subjective, so what you might find unfunny could crack someone else up.

I mean, come on. Your screen name is "MissClutterbuck." If this means you're an Isles fan, then surely you're used to a little misery.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:06 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I personally wouldn't use sarcasm as a selling point. I'm fine with it, depending on context, and am certainly a judicious user of sarcasm myself. But it's not such a big part of my identity that I'd play it up on what's basically an advertisement for myself. If it's a major enough selling point that somebody's highlighting it in their profile, I would likely assume that there is a definite possibility he's a more abrasive, caustic person than I would likely prefer. Also, I've noticed that those who bill themselves as "sarcastic" as a major personality trait are also often the same sorts of personalities who will write off their own rudeness as "What? I'm just being [honest/blunt/whatever]..."

Old 07-13-2015, 09:07 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,283 times
Quote:

I certainly appreciate a good sense of humor, and I love irony and I can be somewhat facetious and even snarky at times. When I use sarcasm, it is only directed at situations, not people.

what do you think?

I think exactly like this

Some people unfortunately disguise their evilness inside "humor".

Old 07-13-2015, 09:44 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,160 times
As with most other things, done in moderation is alright and there is a time and place for it. If it's on a constant basis, nope couldn't deal with that. I remember one person I very briefly dated she would take digs or make comments and then say "oh, can't you take sarcasm?" That got really old in a hurry. My response to that was she wouldn't have said it if she didn't really mean it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships