Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 09:31 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,307 times

Advertisements

Wife and I have been married for 10 years. 2 kids, ages 2 and 5.

Our older kid goes to bed at 8 (reads for awhile and lights out later), but essentially 8-10:30 (when we would go to bed on average) is available free time (say 17.5 hours total). I have hobbies (soccer, computer games, etc.) and my wife generally doesn't, though she does yoga once every week or 2 and goes out with friends once or twice a month (only the friends thing impacts this time window).

What percentage of this "free time" is fair for me to allocate to individual hobbies vs. things we would do together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 10:34 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
Wife and I have been married for 10 years. 2 kids, ages 2 and 5.

Our older kid goes to bed at 8 (reads for awhile and lights out later), but essentially 8-10:30 (when we would go to bed on average) is available free time (say 17.5 hours total). I have hobbies (soccer, computer games, etc.) and my wife generally doesn't, though she does yoga once every week or 2 and goes out with friends once or twice a month (only the friends thing impacts this time window).

What percentage of this "free time" is fair for me to allocate to individual hobbies vs. things we would do together?
It's not a mathematical equation. It's something that only the two of you can figure out.

Pay special attention to how much your wife thinks is ok for you to "allocate."

You do want to spend time with her, right?

Old 07-23-2015, 11:26 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It's not a mathematical equation. It's something that only the two of you can figure out.

Pay special attention to how much your wife thinks is ok for you to "allocate."

You do want to spend time with her, right?
Agreed.

It's important to have me time, but your family trumps that now.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:31 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
There isn't a definitive answer. There's only what you and your spouse can agree on.

If you can't agree, that's a compatibility/expectations issue.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:25 PM

248 posts, read 342,954 times
Everyone is different, so there is no "right" answer. If your wife thinks you aren't spending enough time with her, well, it seems you aren't. What does the "together" time consist of? If it is sitting there staring at the TV together it probably isn't very satisfying to her. Try giving her your undivided attention, talking, etc...you'll probably find that "less" time is "more" that way.

And, yeah, if something has to be cut back, I'd go for the computer games...it's way too easy to lose track of time with those things and get sucked in.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Yeah, I would say that "wife is home doing her own thing, and I'm on the computer gaming" doesn't necessarily count as everyone's idea of "quality time together. Best to get those expectations out in the open.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:31 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I don't consider things like watching TV or gaming "hobbies."

17 hours of free time a week is not a lot, spend it wisely.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-23-2015, 12:33 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
There is no correct answer here, but you have to do what it takes to enjoy and share together to grow as a couple. If that includes helping her discover a hobby she may like to enjoy with you, then so be it.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:01 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
My wife and I have downtime after 8 too when our 6 year old is in bed. By this time of the day, we usually do something together but not a lot. TV, conversation, etc. It is more just downtime at the end of the day.

For us, quality time for individual hobbies or joint things are done at other times. For "me" things one of us watches our daughter while the other does their thing. Quality time together is done with date nights, babysitting, etc.

I do not track it, or calculate out how much each of us gets, or make ratios to the best allocation. We do things as we want or need and work together to make sure everyone gets in what they want, and is happy and content with the outcome.

That said, if I had only 17 hours in a 168 hour week to spend with my wife, I would likely spend most of it with her doing something. She's my best friend, and we love each others company.... which is kind of really why we got together in the first place.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:08 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yeah, I would say that "wife is home doing her own thing, and I'm on the computer gaming" doesn't necessarily count as everyone's idea of "quality time together. Best to get those expectations out in the open.
Yeah, these are separate things (not sure if my post was clear). Basically I have soccer 2x a week and play computer games (generally) late after one of the soccer times and 1 other evening per week after the kids go to bed.

On the other days, we'll work out together or watch TV, or both. That's not as "quality" as she'd like, but things are limited when you have to be at home with sleeping kids. We are going to try and do other things to improve that aspect.

My main intent was to get a sense of whether or not my perception of the individual vs. together balance within that free time was out of wack. Everyone's different, obviously, though a general consensus (bell curve of opinion or something) would be good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships