Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Traffic and schools: peak commuting times, construction projects, over-crowding, additional classrooms

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:39 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,660,312 times

Advertisements

I've been on these forums for close to a year now. There always seems to be two topics which seem to garnish a lot of discussion, for reasons that I don't get. A little background first:

I've lived in NC for 12 years. The first eight were in the Triad region, and the last four have been in Huntersville. I have been around most areas of the state except for the areas East of Raleigh.

The two recurring topics I'm talking about are traffic and schools.

Many posters talk about traffic being bad. Outside of normal congestion during peak commuting times, where on a consistent basis is traffic all that bad? It's certainly improved greatly since the opening of I-485 and the completion of the construction projects on I-77 and I-85. I can drive from Concord Mills to Huntersville, at 5:00 on a week day, in just about 20 minutes. I don't think that's really all that bad.

There seem to be lots of concerns about school over-crowding. I don't have kids, so I'm not completely up-to-speed on why having the portable classrooms is a bad thing. Way back when when I was in school, it too was literally bursting at the seams. They had an extremely hard time scheduling all of the students for lunch time in the cafeteria. Instead of cramming students 30-40 to a class, I think I would have preferred to have the additional classrooms, even it it meant walking outside to get to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 11:45 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,556,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I've been on these forums for close to a year now. There always seems to be two topics which seem to garnish a lot of discussion, for reasons that I don't get. A little background first:

I've lived in NC for 12 years. The first eight were in the Triad region, and the last four have been in Huntersville. I have been around most areas of the state except for the areas East of Raleigh.

Many posters talk about traffic being bad. Outside of normal congestion during peak commuting times, where on a consistent basis is traffic all that bad? It's certainly improved greatly since the opening of I-485 and the completion of the construction projects on I-77 and I-85. I can drive from Concord Mills to Huntersville, at 5:00 on a week day, in just about 20 minutes. I don't think that's really all that bad.

There seem to be lots of concerns about school over-crowding. I don't have kids, so I'm not completely up-to-speed on why having the portable classrooms is a bad thing. Way back when when I was in school, it too was literally bursting at the seams. They had an extremely hard time scheduling all of the students for lunch time in the cafeteria. Instead of cramming students 30-40 to a class, I think I would have preferred to have the additional classrooms, even it it meant walking outside to get to them.
My traffic is horrible. It takes me about 10 minutes to walk about 8 blocks. If I drive, the heat on my car doesn't even get warm before I get there so I might as well walk (unless it is raining).

Only thing I have to look out for when walking is the terrible drivers in Charlotte that run red lights and think they have the right of way over a pedestrian when my sign says "WALK"

Old 01-17-2008, 11:55 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post

Perhaps your understanding of what we mean by terrible trafffic would be enhanced if you were to go uptown one day and then try to leave uptown heading up either interstate at 4:30 Worse yet, leave at 5:30. It's not just "congestion", it is gridlock in some places.

Additionally, try heading down Providence Rd toward south Charlotte, especially once it crosses I485 and becomes two laned - it ain't a pretty picture.

And those are just rush hour times...traffic may move better at other times of the day, but it is still very heavy in places where just a few years ago you would never have been stuck in any kind of traffic other than at rush hour - which is very frustrating to those of us out driving around the city.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:01 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,953,609 times
Superk,

I agree with you somewhat. I have lived in Huntersville for what seems like forever now. 20 years to be exact. I still think traffic is ok! Obviously you know not to try to go down Sam Furr around Staples at 4:30pm on a Friday but take the back roads. It could be a lot worse that's for sure!

Old 01-17-2008, 12:02 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Perhaps your understanding of what we mean by terrible trafffic would be enhanced if you were to go uptown one day and then try to leave uptown heading up either interstate at 4:30 Worse yet, leave at 5:30. It's not just "congestion", it is gridlock in some places.

Additionally, try heading down Providence Rd toward south Charlotte, especially once it crosses I485 and becomes two laned - it ain't a pretty picture.

And those are just rush hour times...traffic may move better at other times of the day, but it is still very heavy in places where just a few years ago you would never have been stuck in any kind of traffic other than at rush hour - which is very frustrating to those of us out driving around the city.
Yep.

And people can mean several different things when talking about "the traffic." The biggest complaint I hear is - merging traffic. This causes congestion when merging a line of continual traffic into 2 lanes. People also get frustrated and will not let others merge.

WHen you are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, others are trying to merge, there is gridlock . . . and you are only 5 miles from your home but it takes you 35 minutes to get there . . . you tend to get discouraged.

I cannot speak to the school issue - last one is in college, LOL.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:21 PM

379 posts, read 645,554 times
I visited Charlotte about once a month from 1995-1998, moved here in early 99. I have to admit, the traffic lately is driving me nuts. You are right though, its not the highway traffic I have an issue with. It is the fact that I used to be able to get around (most places) in 20 min or less. Now it takes me at least 30-45 min.
I really cannot understand why everyone is in my way all the time.

I agree with you on the port classrooms. Only negative I see there is, they may feel cut off from the rest of the school (better than having double the students in one class though). I guess its not the most attractive option either.

Other school issues...maybe another day.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:51 PM

870 posts, read 3,529,612 times
I went to public school in the 1960's and we had trailers. It was kind of neat back then to be in a different building away from everyone else. When kids were standing in the hall outside their classroom doors waiting to get in, I would just keep walking to the end of the hall, make a quick right and head outside. Every once in a while it got cold and the snow was deep but we had snowball fights back then. Didn't even get in trouble for that. Kids being kids.
The quality of education is no different in a trailer than being in a permenent building. The kids are taught the same cirriculum and use the same books.

Traffic is another issue. The drivers in Charlotte suck. Don't care if you are from the north, south, east or west but for some reason when you are in Charlotte, all common sense and courtesy go out the window. Cars not letting merging cars in. Gotta get there first mentality, even if it is by 10 seconds. Must be a NASCAR thing! For some reason there is always an accident on the roads I travel on. Right on red, left on red, speed through the red, makes no difference.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
I went to public school in the 1960's and we had trailers. It was kind of neat back then to be in a different building away from everyone else. When kids were standing in the hall outside their classroom doors waiting to get in, I would just keep walking to the end of the hall, make a quick right and head outside. Every once in a while it got cold and the snow was deep but we had snowball fights back then. Didn't even get in trouble for that. Kids being kids.
The quality of education is no different in a trailer than being in a permenent building. The kids are taught the same cirriculum and use the same books.

Traffic is another issue. The drivers in Charlotte suck. Don't care if you are from the north, south, east or west but for some reason when you are in Charlotte, all common sense and courtesy go out the window. Cars not letting merging cars in. Gotta get there first mentality, even if it is by 10 seconds. Must be a NASCAR thing! For some reason there is always an accident on the roads I travel on. Right on red, left on red, speed through the red, makes no difference.
Loved your last sentence! LOL!!! That is how I feel! I am always watching, expecting someone to do something really, really stupid (such as run through a red light).

My Yankee hubby says "It must be a NASCAR thing - everyone here thinks he is Dale Jr." Hee Hee Hee. No it isn't a NASCAR thing. I think it is an anger thing. People get so fed up w/ the bumper to bumper mess - merging traffic that can't merge - so instead of letting others merge - it is this mental attitude - "I was here first - to heck w/ you." You can look at people's faces and they are scowling, gripping that steering wheel, eyes slit in anger, Hee Hee.

I just put on the Ipod and chill. No use to get all stressed. OH, I assure you, it aggravates me . . . but I combat it w/ letting everyone merge . . . three or four cars at a time to make up for all the meanies in front of me . . .I figure . . . surely there is some good karma in showing some courtesy, even when I am in a hurry myself.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:12 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,432,819 times
485 inner loop between 7am and 9am Mon-Thurssday, all day friday.

485 Outer loop 3-7 pm M-Th all day Friday.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
485 inner loop between 7am and 9am Mon-Thurssday, all day friday.

485 Outer loop 3-7 pm M-Th all day Friday.
Yeah, and what about I-85 and I-77?

Like I said - charge up your Ipod. And think happy thoughts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte