Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 02:38 PM

5 posts, read 11,046 times

Advertisements

I have known of CD before but only made an account now because there is an issue I am having but not sure what to do. First off both me and my gf are 28 and have been together 2 years and been living in an apt for a little over 6 months.

But to my main issue is my gf has a very bad habit of stealing things whether they be clothes, underwear or just little trinkets. She has been arrested for stealing multiple times and she has even told me she remembers the first time she stole something was when she was 12. I have talked to her and asked her why and she says it's because all her life growing up she was very poor, hardly had anything, lived in a trailer in a trailer park for her whole life. She doesn't talk about it much but I can tell her up bringing REALLY affected her.

She is amazing in all other ways she does work in retail but doesn't make much, never been to college either. She is very nice an attentive and is a great cook and fun to be around. She never steals real BIG items but like I said she has small items if she thinks she can get away with it. Like the other day we stopped at the gas station and she went in to pay, when she came out as we were leaving she pulled out a lighter and said she swiped it. I kind of just rolled my eyes and said she better be careful or she'll get caught again. But she has gotten very good at stealing and when we first got together she managed to get a collection of stolen undies and such from Victoria's Secret.

I know, I know you all are going to say "Are you crazy what does it matter what her other qualities are she's a borderline kleptomaniac!" but I don't think it's that simple. While I am not justifying her behavior I will say when she does steal she doesn't steal from friends/family or other people just big box stores and the like.

And believe me, I keep good track of what I have so if she ever did steal from me I'd know but I don't believe she ever has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 02:45 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMatt View Post
I have known of CD before but only made an account now because there is an issue I am having but not sure what to do. First off both me and my gf are 28 and have been together 2 years and been living in an apt for a little over 6 months.

But to my main issue is my gf has a very bad habit of stealing things whether they be clothes, underwear or just little trinkets. She has been arrested for stealing multiple times and she has even told me she remembers the first time she stole something was when she was 12. I have talked to her and asked her why and she says it's because all her life growing up she was very poor, hardly had anything, lived in a trailer in a trailer park for her whole life. She doesn't talk about it much but I can tell her up bringing REALLY affected her.

She is amazing in all other ways she does work in retail but doesn't make much, never been to college either. She is very nice an attentive and is a great cook and fun to be around. She never steals real BIG items but like I said she has small items if she thinks she can get away with it. Like the other day we stopped at the gas station and she went in to pay, when she came out as we were leaving she pulled out a lighter and said she swiped it. I kind of just rolled my eyes and said she better be careful or she'll get caught again. But she has gotten very good at stealing and when we first got together she managed to get a collection of stolen undies and such from Victoria's Secret.

I know, I know you all are going to say "Are you crazy what does it matter what her other qualities are she's a borderline kleptomaniac!" but I don't think it's that simple. While I am not justifying her behavior I will say when she does steal she doesn't steal from friends/family or other people just big box stores and the like.

And believe me, I keep good track of what I have so if she ever did steal from me I'd know but I don't believe she ever has.
Yeah...right now. She will.

Trust is a key factor in a relationship like sugar in a cake.

Not gunna be good man.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:51 PM

389 posts, read 426,498 times
She will get caught eventually. Better save up for bond money. People like her are part of the reason why things are so expensive these days.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:51 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
OMG, do you really have to ask? This is such a huge red flag. If you can't see it, then you are being willfully blind.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:52 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
My father likes to kill but makes fantastic pancakes!

You can justify killing but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to invovle yourself with a killer just for their pancakes.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:58 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
I feel your pain, bro. I once had this super awesome girl that I wanted to marry, and I struggled with her tendency to murder small puppies with a chain saw. It was very frustrating, dealing with that decision.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:59 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
My father likes to kill but makes fantastic pancakes!

You can justify killing but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to invovle yourself with a killer just for their pancakes.
Are they chocolate chip pancakes though?

Old 07-21-2015, 03:00 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Seriously? I'm not sure this is a real thread as it's inconceivable to me that this can even be a question but in case it is....

She's a criminal and making excuses for her criminal behavior. It IS that simple. Just because she had a rough time growing up doesn't give her the right to commit a crime. If she wants nice things she should get a better job, take some classes at a community college or do something to improve her life but that's hard work and it's much easier for her to steal and blame it on a rough childhood.

Just because she allegedly doesn't steal from friends and family or only steals small items from businesses doesn't make it OK. The rest of us pay for her behavior because stores have to factor in loss due to theft in their prices because of people like her.

Do you really want to spend the rest of your life or raise children with someone who thinks it's OK to take what doesn't belong to her? There are plenty of amazing women out there who can cook and are fun and who aren't thieves.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:20 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Thief? Run!!

Old 07-21-2015, 03:31 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Brand new poster. Hmmmmmmmm.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships