Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 06:40 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,848,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
This is just plain cold. She ruined this poor guys life!
Rejection is apart of life .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 06:46 AM

474 posts, read 384,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Does it matter? She knows how she feels and this dude can't respect that.
It probably matters to him, and she should respect that too. I believe empathy and communication is an important part of all human interactions.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:49 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
I had a similar scenario years ago; awesome guy, always had a great time together, and on paper we should have been a good match... but there was just no chemistry on my end. He was really hurt and offended, but I wasn't willing to cross that line and meddle with the emotions of someone I knew I wasn't attracted to. But, time was a healer and 20 years later we are still good friends.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:13 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Given that he implied that he's hanging around in case you change your mind, this isn't exactly a real friendship. I'm not AT ALL saying that just because he admitted his feelings for you and you didn't return them, there's no chance of a friendship. I have a very good friend who used to have feelings for me that I did not return. He met the woman who is now his wife shortly after, and a few years ago he basically thanked me for having the good sense to know that we weren't a good fit.

And for myself, once I know someone doesn't have feelings for me, my own basically evaporate instantaneously. If it's not there, it's not there.

But if this guy's premise is that he's going to be your friend in case you change your mind, well, that's almost a conflict of interest.

I'd just say you can't maintain the friendship if he's thinking there's going to be a change of mind on your part.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:58 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
If you two are genuinely friends, and not just buddies, acquaintances, etc., then why would you end the friendship? The poor guy worked up the courage to declare his feelings and you already had to let him down on that. Now he's losing the friendship over it?

Whether you meet someone down the road is irrelevant - this guy may or may not still be interested in you by then. As for knowing absolutely you will never want to be with him, well, as they say "never say never."

It's your call, but IMO you're being terribly unfair.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:09 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,444,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
If you two are genuinely friends, and not just buddies, acquaintances, etc., then why would you end the friendship? The poor guy worked up the courage to declare his feelings and you already had to let him down on that. Now he's losing the friendship over it?

Whether you meet someone down the road is irrelevant - this guy may or may not still be interested in you by then. As for knowing absolutely you will never want to be with him, well, as they say "never say never."

Unfortunately, but that's how it is. At least for me.
How can I be 100% comfortable around a man who I know is probably undressing me in his mind? It's beyond my comfort zone knowing that in the back of his mind he's waiting for a chance to get physical.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:13 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,444,112 times
Thanks for replies everyone.
Unfortunately, this is not the first male friend that I've lost because they develop feelings for me. I keep on hoping that opposite sex friendship is possible but so far trial and error has proven otherwise. Sign.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:15 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
There is no easy way.

Tell him exactly what you said in you last post.
That you cannot be comfortable being friends with someone you know has romantic feelings for you and you need to take yourself out of the friendship for your own reasonings.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:18 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post

The guy made it KNOWN he was only remaining friends with her in hopes of her changing her mind. No healthy friendship can operate with that over her head. Better she cut bait now.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:20 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune_It_Lower View Post
It probably matters to him, and she should respect that too. I believe empathy and communication is an important part of all human interactions.
I think you can be empathetic and avoid someone who has ulterior motives for befriending you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships