Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Some cultural norms of yesteryear More conducive to long term relationships?
I'm a man and I say yes 23 46.00%
I'm a woman and I say yes 11 22.00%
I'm a man and I say no 5 10.00%
I'm a woman and I say no 11 22.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 04:33 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Hypergamy is a fact of life, not sure why this is even a debate. Not all women are materialistic, but most women prefer to marry up as evidenced by statistics. I dont exactly blame them for it, its part of their makeup - they have the need to make sure there will be resources available for themselves and their future offspring. Lets just not pretend this isnt the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Only for men who can't handle a little competition.
I think everybody will have some sort of competition in one way or the other. For example, a guy can be so nice and caring but it won't get him far pursuing a girl that has another nice and caring guy interested BUT the difference between the two is that one is unemployed or has a low-paying job, no car, living with the parents, etc. while the other nice and caring guy has an attractive job, makes a lot of money, has a cool car, etc. No matter what, the second guy will have a higher possibility to attract woman. Doesn't necessarily make a woman a gold-digger unless money was the only thing she looked for.

Women will also face some kind of competition with other women who are more attractive and younger than her. Hence, the beauty industry getting richer every day (make up, beauty products, so called anti-aging products, plastic surgery, etc.). A guy looking for an attractive young slender woman doesn't necessarily make him a jerk unless that is all he looked for in a relationship.

Generally speaking, each gender places importance on certain characteristics that the opposite gender doesn't.

Last edited by onihC; 07-29-2015 at 04:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 05:19 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
But wait, OP... YOU live in this area, and YOU'RE not materialistic, I presume.

Odds are pretty good that if you're living in this "very materialistic area," despite not being "very materialistic" yourself, so is your female equivalent.
I am sure you are right, but its a needle in a haystack odds are not in my favor.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Those women are interested in men similar to them. If you aren't a materialistic person, then go for a woman who isn't materialistic either. Yes there are women (and men) who are all about keeping up with the Jones', but there are just as many who are not interested in it. You need to hang around "those" people (and therefore run into "those" women). I honestly think it's the crowd you are running with (or living around as you are saying).

You might need to do what I am doing and date out of your immediate area. The person I am dating is a lot like me when it comes to values and the way we view the world. We live a good 2 hour's drive apart though. So we don't get to see each other much (just a few times a week), but I will take quality over quantity every time.
I went that route it was depressing, I don't do long distance well. nothing worse than being into someone you hardly get to see, which is also why I avoid women with young children, or workaholics.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:31 AM

316 posts, read 214,619 times
Cultural normal can make or break relationships. Anyhow, you must be aware women were considered property of their father a long time even short as 60 years ago and taught to depend on a man. It was almost a cardinal sin not to be married. I think still there is too much social pressure to couple up if you ask me. The terms 'spinster and 'old maid' are sexist to me. Not every single person is unhappy and I dont believe these 'studies' saying women are unhappier .They seem biased toward singles. Many single people are very happy.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:42 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,848,444 times
Come to the Midwest.
Much more down to earth.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddma View Post
Cultural normal can make or break relationships. Anyhow, you must be aware women were considered property of their father a long time even short as 60 years ago and taught to depend on a man. It was almost a cardinal sin not to be married. I think still there is too much social pressure to couple up if you ask me. The terms 'spinster and 'old maid' are sexist to me. Not every single person is unhappy and I dont believe these 'studies' saying women are unhappier .They seem biased toward singles. Many single people are very happy.
But many aren't happy being single, like me for instance. one night stands get old, I like stability. I am happier when i have someone to share life with. even people who were happier single are a little hapier in a relationship thats going well.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:41 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Yeah, taking care of the children and the house, instead of slaving away 9-5 in a cubicle, sounds really aweful. Its a bit odd that women report their happiness has decreased dramatically in the last 50 years. 25-30% are on SSRIs and anti depressants, so they can get out of bed every morning. Sounds like great advancement.

While part of your post may be true, some parts are strictly based on what you have been taught by feminized modern society. Its rewritten history has a purpose, much like destruction of marriage has a purpose of destabilizing western civilization. Im not asking you to take my word for it, im just asking to seek out the truth and make your own judgments, not believe what youve been fed.

Ok.

I've done both. I had a career until my 40s, I worked hard and got ahead in my field.

I now stay home with no children (13 year old here part time).

They both have drawbacks and strengths. I worked a little harder when out of the home, but I am very busy now and there really isn't a lot of leisure time. I could take leisure time, but I don't. I view it as a job and I know what I will be doing the next day, I have long term projects and short term.

It's not much different then when I worked in an office. I'm up early, I manage finances, food, organize the home, plan social activities, I work in the yard.....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-03-2015, 11:42 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
Remember back in the day when women didn't have any choice at all and were married off to whoever her father chose?

Good times, good times.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Remember back in the day when women didn't have any choice at all and were married off to whoever her father chose?

Good times, good times.
people knew who they were then. girls were girls and men were men, maybe we could really use a guy like Herbert Hoover again.......

Old 08-04-2015, 12:00 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
Oh, and it's "Were" not "Where."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships