Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:42 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,950,511 times

Advertisements

Is love just a chemical that has evolved over time that allows humans to better bond with each other. In this crazy world a group is better than one. Are the chemicals in the mind just really advanced defenses for the cells that are in the human body. What is the difference between thought and feeling............................Do chemicals in the mind cause feeling, and electrical impulses cause thought. We experience love within the confines of the human mind, but guess we have a vague concept of what a creator being or energy would conceive of love being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 07:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
I have no idea but this is what Wiki has to say about it.
There is evidence in a variety of species that the hormones oxytocin and vasopressin are involved in the bonding process, and in other forms of prosocial and reproductive behavior. Both chemicals facilitate pair bonding and maternal behavior in experiments on laboratory animals. In humans, there is evidence that oxytocin and vasopressin are released during labor and breastfeeding, and that these events are associated with maternal bonding. According to one model, social isolation leads to stress, which is associated with activity in the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis and the release of cortisol. Positive social interaction is associated with increased oxytocin. This leads to bonding, which is also associated with higher levels of oxytocin and vasopressin, and reduced stress and stress-related hormones.[15]
Human bonding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-19-2010, 10:11 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
It's the effect that matters, not the processes brought into play that caused it. Love is still love, and it transcends the chemical and electrical processes that determine how we feel it.

Being human is really about transcending mere biological processes. We feel we are more than the sum of our parts because when all the millions of little things happening in our bodies add up, we actually become something transcendent, i.e. a sentient and intelligent being.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,922,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Love is still love, and it transcends the chemical and electrical processes that determine how we feel it.

Being human is really about transcending mere biological processes. We feel we are more than the sum of our parts because when all the millions of little things happening in our bodies add up, we actually become something transcendent, i.e. a sentient and intelligent being.
Funny: I tried your lines late one night on a cute girl in a pub in northern Canada many years ago. She still wouldn't come back to my wall tent, and I even had buffalo robes to lay on!

"Love is just a pile of buffalo robes!"

Old 03-19-2010, 11:59 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Funny: I tried your lines late one night on a cute girl in a pub in northern Canada many years ago. She still wouldn't come back to my wall tent, and I even had buffalo robes to lay on!

"Love is just a pile of buffalo robes!"
did you smell like a musk ox too?

Old 03-19-2010, 04:23 PM

200 posts, read 308,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissus23 View Post
Is love just a chemical that has evolved over time that allows humans to better bond with each other. In this crazy world a group is better than one. Are the chemicals in the mind just really advanced defenses for the cells that are in the human body. What is the difference between thought and feeling............................Do chemicals in the mind cause feeling, and electrical impulses cause thought. We experience love within the confines of the human mind, but guess we have a vague concept of what a creator being or energy would conceive of love being.
I really love this post. My mind has also traveled down the same path. It is possible (in my mind) that there may be a bridge between the physical and the non physical. If love is the result of a chemical reaction (or thought being chemical) the reaction may be physical but the result may not be.

A chemical reaction needs "stuff" but is a thought composed of "stuff"?
Is love composed of "stuff".

And can a finite mind understand an infinite universe?
Do things exist in thought first? If it does "non stuff" becomes "stuff".

Old 03-19-2010, 10:02 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Of course love can't literally be a chemical. If that was so, you'd be able to bottle it.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:24 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
It's obvious you don't read the classified advertising in Popular Mechanics or Home Handyman type magazines.

H

Old 03-20-2010, 01:31 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
no more than the ocean is nothing but a pile of drops.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:08 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,617 times
I think yes and no.

Yes, because feelings of love triggers our pleasure sensors. Love is what make males stick with the females after the dirty deed. I would imagine if there was no love, the males would hit it, then quit it

No, because love is something that is cannot really be explained--only experienced. Love brings a couple much more than just the safety net of being together, but also something sacred and secretive that allows two souls to harmonize into one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality