Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 12:28 PM

19 posts, read 56,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Get it over with. Ask Him to Marry YOU. Then, then yes or no, you'll have your answer, once and for all.

If you don't know, marriage is a huge risk for men in the USA. Once a man is married, as the years go by, and they have children, the financial risk is greater and greater. If the wife divorces him, he can be left with child support, alimony, he can lose his house, part of his pension if he has one, and still be left without the kids. In your case, you could potentially take the kids back to your home country and he would never see them again. I can understand why he hasn't asked you.

We don't live in the States and rules are different here. Plus, I have more money saved up than him and we earn about the same. No need to be scared about finances.
And about the kids, it also doesn't work that way here.it is impossible to leave the country with the kids if not BOTH of the parents allow it. You cannot just take the kids and leave. They won't even let you on the plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 12:32 PM

19 posts, read 56,073 times
Thanks for all the answers! I think I will discuss it with him one more time to see what his thoughts are and to make it clear again how important it is to me. I won't be able to do that in the next two weeks because I'm going on a business trip.. After that for sure.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:06 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Good Lord, get a grip! Wasting years and years of your precious youth on the wrong guy is a rite of passage into womanhood.. Lol

You make it sound like yet another "hoop" a woman is called to jump through in order to achieve validation. Pass.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:09 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,273,295 times
I would probably move on. Especially if this man is 30 or above. I don't like putting a timeframe on when a man should propose but if you both have careers and your in your late twenties/early thirties then yes by the third year marriage should be a topic of discussion. This doesn't mean he has to pop the question but it should be something he's mentioned and something he can see happening pretty quickly. Most people, that are old enough and experienced in relationships, know by the first year if they can see that person being a wife or husband in the future. Definitely by the third year they know as well. You don't want to waste too much time on someone that isn't interested in what you want--if your goal is marriage then ideally you need to find someone who wants the same thing instead of sticking around with someone who is unsure.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I absolutely do. It's why I have no intentions of ever getting married. I've been around the block enough to know that I would never be happy living with my BF, or any other man for that matter.
But you would, presumably, not pair off with a person who truly values and desires cohabitation and/or marriage, then, no?

Old 08-06-2015, 11:58 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,686 times
Couldn't agree more you are not this guys soulmate,the one etc etc - most people when they meet that person they just know,there's no doubt.he is full of doubt that's why he won't discuss it and delays.

And I agree about not living together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
In my experience, a man who wants to get married will push things along, not drag his feet.

At this point, even if he reluctantly proposes to you, your feelings about him will forever be tainted by the fact that in three years, he didn't want you enough to marry you.

Trust me on this. I was with my first husband for 4 years before he reluctantly proposed. We were married for 9 years after that, and through that entire time, I couldn't get it out of my head that he didn't really want me enough to marry me, he just did it because he was getting pressure from his parents.

My second husband proposed to me after we had known each other for a month. I had no doubt whatsoever that this man wanted me, right now and for good. We've been married for 24 years now, and although we've had the normal ups and downs, I have never had that nagging doubt about whether I was really the one he wanted, or if he just settled or gave in to my nagging.

BTW, for any single women reading this, I would sincerely recommend NOT moving in together if you want to marry the man at some point. Living together kills the romance--I don't know why, but it does.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:23 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,686 times
Marriage is an incredibly ancient and important pact,it is not just a piece of paper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I was about to ask the same thing. Obviously, I am clueless, but I don't see how a legal agreement changes anything. In the OP's case, however, she is only a temporary resident and marriage would change that.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 959 times
Default Update?

Would love to hear an update on this. I am in a similar situation approaching 3 years but no visa situation. Thanks!!

Old 08-14-2016, 04:18 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiesophie View Post
Would love to hear an update on this. I am in a similar situation approaching 3 years but no visa situation. Thanks!!
I was in this situation and we've mutually broken up as of July 27th. I don't want to nag the man. If he doesn't want to get married, he just doesn't.

We were going on our fourth year.

Now I'm newly single and going to work on myself.

I'll get back into the dating world when I'm ready.

Maybe after my 31st birthday in a few months.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:58 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,760 times
People think living together is a commitment and a path to marriage. It is not. Move on. Keeping this real.

Mae
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships