Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 08:07 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times

Advertisements

People just want to be together.

Does there always have to be a purpose?

If they want to make it "official" with marriage, why wonder about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 11:32 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I know I can change my mind at any time. I'm just getting out while I'm young.
Like I said, that's fine. Just be aware all choices we make have both costs and benefits. The costs of this decision don't seem apparent to you at this point, but don't be surprised if they surface at some future date. You won't be able to say that nobody made you aware of it.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:34 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I think some people see their spouse as an opponent.
Yep, most likely because that's what they grew up seeing. And the whole battle of the sexes mentality is generally played up in mainstream media. I don't think that's an accident.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:12 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
To guard the welfare of the family. Unfortunately the single mothers group is the fastest growing group of those living in poverty in the USA and homelessness. It is important to consider carefully bringing children into this world and to do the best possible to provide for them.

This Week in Poverty: US Single Mothers

https://familyinequality.wordpress.c...-and-mobility/

Work, poverty, and single-mother families | Economic Policy Institute

Old 08-25-2015, 06:50 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,785 times
Long term marriage makes the concept of death more appealing...
It also keeps a crap load of divorce attorneys in Porsches and Courvoisier

Marriage is for families...peeps who want kids,,,so there is a contract protecting both parents rights to their kids, while they are kids,,,so if one dies or decides to take the kids to Taiwan, the other has a say in the matter

other than that...I don't see the point...some people buy into the fairy tale notion of happily ever after, and some even achieve it...but the divorce rates are high for a reason...marriage sucks...in so many ways

Old 08-25-2015, 07:05 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I know some people feel marriage is not for them. That is fine. However, for couples who want and plan to be together, there are many distinct and advantageous benefits for being married compared to just cohabiting. Many of them may not be immediately important, or important all of the time, but can and will come into play at times.

It is for many of these that people feel it is good for those who want kids or start a family, but even for couples without children, there can be distinct rights and advantages they can gain for their long term relationship that they would not otherwise have.

It is one of the big reasons why there has been such a fight over the civil recognition of gay marriage. Gay couples want civil/legal marriage recognized because of the legal rights granted under marriage.

Marriage Rights and Benefits | Nolo.com

Old 08-25-2015, 06:00 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Marriage is a business partnership.

You have different talents that you share focusing on how to improve the partnership.

Your working toward some goal. I think a common problem in marriages is that they never agreed to any goals.

When we were courting, I told my GF my life goals. She said that she could see herself focusing her life on obtaining those goals. After we were married, every hobby that either of us have taken up has been to further our goals. Our investments, pretty much everything has been to achieve those goals.

We have been married for 34 years.

Romance comes and goes. I have no idea how to hold on to romance. I am not sure if that is even possible.

It is a nice dream, a romantic dream, for a marriage to be based on sexual attraction. Of course it is nice when sexual attraction is present. But a marriage based on only that? I do not think those marriages last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships