Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 08:13 PM

220 posts, read 174,557 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is a long post but I can't get a good answer without explaining the situation.

I'll start this off with some background. I just graduated college with my (now ex) girlfriend. In my mind we were perfect together and I did and still do love her more than anything I ever have. We were the same major, had the same interests, and really connected. We were together for 2 years and rarely fought or had major disagreements and had a very healthy relationship. I was constructing my whole life so that we could be together and have a future. I literally thought this girl was the one.

Just over three weeks ago she broke up with me out of the blue. She said that she still loved me which made it harder for both of us. She just said that she had focused on me and school for so long that she lost her own independence and needed to figure out what she really liked to do that would make her the happiest she could be. Or something along those lines, the reasons were confusing but she did say that she still loved me but we just need space for now. Her friends moved away and I was pretty much who she had here which makes it more confusing.

I took the breakup badly and still am depressed. I was supposed to live with her temporarily while I found a new house to live in and to make things worse I dislocated my knee 2 days after and couldn't walk and had to stay in a hotel alone. Now I just moved into a new house with some friends and we are five blocks away so it would have been perfect.

None of us ever cheated if that helps too. I think that she was confused during her transition to the real world and ended it because of that.

Here's what I've done so far with the hopes of getting her back.

-I've given her a lot of space. I cut all communications for three weeks and than sent one warm text hoping she was doing well and that I'm living close to her so we might accidentally bump into each other once and a while and hope that we can be amicable. She responded pretty quickly and said told me that she would see me around and hoped I was doing well etc...

-I'm on the verge of getting a career job where we live. When that happens (hopefully in 2-3 weeks) I'm going to reach out again and ask to go to lunch or something. Nothing serious, just casual and not talk about relationship or anything like that.

-If she agrees to that I'll do it again maybe a week or so after and make that a reoccurring thing. Than I'll ask her out. Hopefully by than she will have sorted herself out and will want me back.

I'm prepared to move on after I try these things, and I'll never get her back if I don't at least try. My mom did the same thing to my dad, she up and left for a different state and look at them now...married for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 08:22 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
You don't. You learn and move on.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:22 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,335,831 times
It seems you've got a plan for trying to get her back. But whats your plan if she says no?

Old 09-23-2015, 08:29 PM

220 posts, read 174,557 times
If she says no than I move on but I wan't to try. I know how hard it will be to find someone like her again. I also know that I can definitely get more girls and I have a lot of good qualities.

She said when we were breaking up that it wasn't me and I was a perfect boyfriend who deserved someone better.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:31 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,029,891 times
Yep too young to limit your life experience this soon. I hate to say this but she has moved on. It's possible she has found someone else. It's not necessarily that the new person is better but just that it's made her possibly realize that she isn't ready to commit. Let her live her life by going about yours. Take what was good and carry it with you. Don't repeat any past mistakes. Experience makes good relationships not fear of change. Neither of you have the ability to not be affected by life changes. It's experiences like these that form your future self and afford you longevity within a relationship.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:38 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,335,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostandhurt View Post
If she says no than I move on but I wan't to try. I know how hard it will be to find someone like her again. I also know that I can definitely get more girls and I have a lot of good qualities.

She said when we were breaking up that it wasn't me and I was a perfect boyfriend who deserved someone better
Yeah, Ive heard that exact statement so many times. What it really means is 'goodbye have a nice life, see ya around'.

Try if you must, but don't be surprised if shes already dating another guy by now. Its been my experience (99.995% of the time) whenever that statement is made, there's someone already waiting in the wings. Of course, its just my experience.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:48 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
Your post was all about you. You are depressed, you aren't happy, so you are changing to get her back. Let her go.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:12 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostandhurt View Post
None of us ever cheated if that helps too. I think that she was confused during her transition to the real world and ended it because of that.
What world did she transition from?

Old 09-23-2015, 09:15 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,457,468 times
Move on. Find new women.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Long question, short answer:

No.

When they're gone, they're gone. They don't miss you. They've found somebody else, maybe even before they left you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships