Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 04:16 PM

179 posts, read 295,550 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are going on 6 months of officially being bf and gf, although we started going out about 9 months ago. The process has been slow, primarily because he’s slow to trust after getting hurt by his last girlfriend, but our relationship has definitely been progressing. He has become more emotionally intimate with me (he used to not cuddle after sex, and now he does), much more open, and much more comfortable around me. We used to see each other only on the weekend and used to only communicate every other day in between dates, but after I let him know that I needed daily communication and would like to see more of him, he started communicating with me daily. We also now see each other 4 days in a week (we both have busy schedules, with side gigs on top of our day jobs, so this is the most doable). He said he wants us to work, so if more communication and more frequent dates will make me happy, then he’s happy to do it. And the biggest step he has made so far is that just last weekend, he introduced me to his parents. He was hesitant to do this a couple of months ago. But last weekend, he took me to his parents’ place and also introduced me to his uncles and aunts. His parents invited me to spend Christmas with their family.

What I still have an issue with, though, is that he has yet to say the words, “I love you.” I know I shouldn’t harp on it, and I really try not to, but I admit that after 6 months (9 months if you count the time we weren’t official yet), I wonder why he still can’t say the words. He has mentioned “love” a couple of times. He often teases me, and he told me that teasing is how he shows love, giving as an example how he teases his little sister, whom he “loves to death.” And one time he joked about “the power of love” in reference to our relationship. But he has yet to come out and say the three words.

Is this something that could be cause for concern? Or given how slow his progress has been in opening up, should I not expect it yet at this point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 04:17 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Have you said it to him?

Old 09-30-2015, 04:27 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl10000 View Post
My boyfriend and I are going on 6 months of officially being bf and gf, although we started going out about 9 months ago. The process has been slow, primarily because he’s slow to trust after getting hurt by his last girlfriend, but our relationship has definitely been progressing. He has become more emotionally intimate with me (he used to not cuddle after sex, and now he does), much more open, and much more comfortable around me. We used to see each other only on the weekend and used to only communicate every other day in between dates, but after I let him know that I needed daily communication and would like to see more of him, he started communicating with me daily. We also now see each other 4 days in a week (we both have busy schedules, with side gigs on top of our day jobs, so this is the most doable). He said he wants us to work, so if more communication and more frequent dates will make me happy, then he’s happy to do it. And the biggest step he has made so far is that just last weekend, he introduced me to his parents. He was hesitant to do this a couple of months ago. But last weekend, he took me to his parents’ place and also introduced me to his uncles and aunts. His parents invited me to spend Christmas with their family.

What I still have an issue with, though, is that he has yet to say the words, “I love you.” I know I shouldn’t harp on it, and I really try not to, but I admit that after 6 months (9 months if you count the time we weren’t official yet), I wonder why he still can’t say the words. He has mentioned “love” a couple of times. He often teases me, and he told me that teasing is how he shows love, giving as an example how he teases his little sister, whom he “loves to death.” And one time he joked about “the power of love” in reference to our relationship. But he has yet to come out and say the three words.

Is this something that could be cause for concern? Or given how slow his progress has been in opening up, should I not expect it yet at this point?
If everything else is fine and you FEEL loved, I wouldn't worry about it. I would more worry about a guy who says it too early on, doesn't show it and doesn't introduce you to his family.

Why don't you say it first?

Old 09-30-2015, 04:28 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:

What I still have an issue with, though, is that he has yet to say the words, “I love you.”
How far into the relationship did YOU say 'I love you' to him?

Old 09-30-2015, 04:31 PM

507 posts, read 443,026 times
A. Teasing a partner is not showing love. Teasing is passive-aggressiveness, especially if it's not countered by kind words of affection.

B. If a grown man hasn't declared his love after seeing someone for 9 months, he's not in love. I'd move on if I were you.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:35 PM

179 posts, read 295,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennia View Post
A. Teasing a partner is not showing love. Teasing is passive-aggressiveness, especially if it's not countered by kind words of affection.

B. If a grown man hasn't declared his love after seeing someone for 9 months, he's not in love. I'd move on if I were you.
It is countered by kind words of affection. He is very affectionate towards me and is often sweet in words and gesture. Just no "I love you."

Old 09-30-2015, 04:38 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Quote:
It is countered by kind words of affection. He is very affectionate towards me and is often sweet in words and gesture. Just no "I love you."
As I and others have asked - have you told him you love him? If not, why does he have to be the first to say it? And I don't agree that 6-9 months is necessarily a long enough time for him to say the "L" word. If he's been hurt before, it would be very scary for him.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:42 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Then he does not love you.
Or, he does not know he does.
Or, he does not know what love is.
Please, do not feel offended with what I'll say next. But I come from politically incorrect country and don't really have politically correct language in me.
So you gave a guy what he wants - and now, 6 months down the road, you wonder why he didn't say "I love you"?

Old 09-30-2015, 05:16 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,225,806 times
People have different ways of expressing their love. As you said he might just be scared of being hurt again so he is a bit more measured and trying not to get carried away. Actions speak louder than words! His actions certainly seem very loving so maybe give him a bit more time.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:23 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Talks cheap. Theres people in highly abusive relationships who's husband tells them all the time that they love them. So what?

How he treats you is far more important than saying "I love you". He may not say the words, but it sounds like he is saying it in other "words". You just have to listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships