Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 11:22 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
I can't believe you're still looking. You are a nice looking man. Too bad I can't take you up on your offer -- I'm good at matchmaking. Matched up 3 couples and all three are going on 15 years of marriage now
Thank you for saying that. It took me a while to get back on my feet post divorce and recession. Now I'm just in an undesirable part of the U.S. It is what it is I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 11:51 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Thank you for saying that. It took me a while to get back on my feet post divorce and recession. Now I'm just in an undesirable part of the U.S. It is what it is I guess.
Were you ever on OKC? Some of your photos look awfully familiar, especially the last one. Yep. If you were on OKC or another dating site I've seen your profile/photos.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:59 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Forgive me if there is already a thread like this, I did try to search around and didn't find anything.

Honestly, I only dabble in online dating, and by that I mean I look at POF and find about 98/100 guys that I think are either ugly, not my type, too good looking for me, too fit for me, etc., etc.

So yesterday, I actually messaged two guys, and I have done this is in the past as well. And here's what happened, and always happens.

Guy #1: Start a conversation with him. Wonder if I'm saying the right thing. I kind of treat him like I know him already by asking how he likes the weather (is that too cheesy, boring, stupid??? I don't know!) (however, it was raining yesterday and we are in CALIFORNIA, where Folsom Lake is now Folsom Valley!!)But I digress. So we exchange couple get to know you questions back and forth and then he just stops talking to me. Maybe I said something he didn't like?? I really didn't get to say a whole lot at all. - ????

Guy #2: Start conversation, exchange couple pleasantries, and then he breaks out with, "Send me your address please." WTF??????? What is that crazy crap about???

Makes me just want to throw in the towel for another 6 months!

Do you literally have to get through several of these types of guys to get to your prince???
Patience and luck

My aunt found her now husband on match.com. (pretty much the third man she talked to) She just finished her chemotherapy, and she posted her photos without makeup and hair, she received maybe 10 messages (one was a guy who was at the time, 20 years younger)

Her husband is also a cancer survivor. He is a software engineer, with a pretty decent net worth (Not like it really means anything, but financial security is important, let's be honest)

When I was dating online, I met several really nice guys (nice and hot). I didn't take online dating seriously, so it worked well for me.

With that being said, my now fiance is somebody I have known pretty much my whole life. He is my childhood friend, I think he is about the only man (besides my dad, my grandpa, and my two brothers) who can really accept me for me.

The physical attraction is very intense, too. Can't lie about this either.

You just have to be patient. It is a numbers game for a lot of people (women included).

I always liked somebody older than me (5 years older at least), but I received many messages from guys who are in their very early 20s. At the time, I was 24 or 25. (this is several years ago) No men in their mid 30s or early 40s even wanted to send me a message. So I had to make the initial contact (like send them a like)

You don't need to email the guys, just sending them "likes" will do, in my most humble opinion.

Online dating is so fun if you don't have much expectations.

Best of luck to you.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:58 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Were you ever on OKC? Some of your photos look awfully familiar, especially the last one. Yep. If you were on OKC or another dating site I've seen your profile/photos.
Yep. Hoping to eventually move back to Atlanta. I need to so I can have a real personal life.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:14 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
How in the world does a woman find anyone on POF??? All I see on there are losers who look like meth heads. Maybe thats just Oklahoma. Good Lord!
Well it's not all dregs. I met the music professor I'm dating right now on there. I'm not sure yet if I'll continue to date him as I'm not all that convinced that he's into me, but I still won't think he's a loser. And believe me, this is rural MO so it can't be all that much better than the OK state lol.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:32 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
My experience has been this..

Christian Mingle: on for about 8 months total with a paid membership off and on in this time.. Mostly nothing local.. those that were never answered messages.. those I had conversations with were on average 500 miles away from me.

EHarmony: Was only on for about a month. Paid membership. No response.. Got tired of the never ending questionnaires attempting to find the perfect match.. I'd rather just start a conversation as opposed as sending little I like you cues to someone. Made me feel like I was a child again passing little hearts with love you messages for valentines day.

Match: Was on before.. paid member.. no response.. many emails out.. Just recently signed back up with a paid membership.. luckly I did have a discussion initially with a real girl. We met up at Dairy Queen for a slushy to talk. By far the most success I've had with OLD. After the date; however, I apparently wasn't what she was looking for. An attractive 29 yo girl that worked as a Veterinarian. Surely she's got her pic of the litter.. but I appreciate her taking the time to talk.

Also one match, as I've recently posted here, I had a chance to meet a scam artist posting as a professional nurse working oversees. Very talented in drawing you in and very patient in working to establish your trust.. Be careful what information you are telling people.

POF - Here generally what I get is a number of girls that are looking at my profile, but never really conversing.. I guess I'm not what they are looking for.

Here is my POF profile

MLee81 Guitar, Performing, Bonfires, Camping, Hiking, Canoeing

Out of all the dating sites, what I find generally is I'm spending a lot of time attempting to initiate discussion with very little to no response.

I'm about ready to hang the whole thing up altogether.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:58 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Here is my POF profile

MLee81 Guitar, Performing, Bonfires, Camping, Hiking, Canoeing

Out of all the dating sites, what I find generally is I'm spending a lot of time attempting to initiate discussion with very little to no response.

I'm about ready to hang the whole thing up altogether.
Mike you're cute as can be but too young for me lol. Since you posted your profile I'll give my 2 cents worth. Love the guitar pic but the other one looks too intense though it's not terrible. Just not a good one. Your profile is a little too generic. I teach English and I have a thing for what I call the writer's voice and yours doesn't really come through--maybe if you wrote your profile in the "voice" you use on here, women would get a sense of you and what you're like. I don't get a sense of you from your profile and that makes it hard for people to know where to start talking. You probably have some great stories from your life and maybe you could use one or a teaser for one. Also, no humor there, though if you are more serious it wouldn't be good to fake it.

Also, and this is a big one--you said you're willing to date as young as 18, even though you're 34, and I steer well clear of men who are willing to date that much younger--I get the idea that what he really wants is someone that young but might consider dating someone his own age if no one "better" happens to be around. That may not be a fair assessment but women can be pretty sensitive about that sort of thing. Of course if an 18 yo is really what you want to date then have at it, but you may just be posting that young so as to have a wider age range and if so you should narrow it up a bit. Anyway, hope I don't sound too critical--yours isn't bad but you seem to be wondering why not enough action on there and I hope this helps.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:18 PM

282 posts, read 219,408 times
Quote:
Your pics all look like staged. And the one where it said, at restaurant... more like a dive bar? I am brutally honest (#SILYMI ) and having said that, I agree, you are good looking. What's wrong with you that you can't find someone?

Oh, you were divorced... I see.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:22 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergirlygirl View Post
Your pics all look like staged. And the one where it said, at restaurant... more like a dive bar? I am brutally honest and having said that, I agree, you are good looking. What's wrong with you that you can't find someone?

Oh, you were divorced... I see.
Wtf!? What does that have to do with it? It's not uncommon to be divorced in your late 30s to 40s, nor is it some social taboo.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:23 PM

497 posts, read 696,636 times
Quote:
Yep. Hoping to eventually move back to Atlanta. I need to so I can have a real personal life.
Didn't you complain about dating in Atlanta? I was living there at the time and remember you complaining about the women and how horrible dating was. Why do you think it will be any different if you move back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships