Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 01:19 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
What did you expect him to say especially if he felt it may not be enough for him? My bro and his gf fight about this all the time. She makes food, he asks if that's all, she gets mad cause she doesn't feel appreciated but it's not like he meant to diss her or her cooking.
The point is that if the man wants something in addition to the food prepared, then the man is certainly capable of preparing it himself.

When someone goes to the trouble of cooking something for you, you're supposed to say "Thank you" not "Is that all?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 01:26 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
But then you reach an age of being a well seasoned cook-man or woman- not only technically but emotionally in terms of relating to people. Not experimenting but touching their taste buds.

My uncle is the same when he cooks for the family but when I go home, both my step mother and mother know exactly what I like.

My stepmother prepares my traditional jamaican meal to the T for sunday brunch when I visit her.
When I am at my mother's she cooks my traditional haitian baked pasta, red beans w/rice, and baked chicken.

Before I go home, they both promise to make "my meal". There is no experimenting. So that is the point I am making. Some people get it and some don't.
I think its a different thing when you go visit, or someone has a special or traditional dish they make or you go get your favorite dish at a restaurant. Cooking nearly 364 days a year may require some experimentation if not down right artistic imagination.

There are times I just have to make chit up as I go according to whats in the pantry or what mystery left overs are in the fridge.

And sometimes people just like to try new recipes.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Something like consistency is great for weeks or lifestyles where you just don't have time.

You want to come home, you want to eat and you want to get on with life. You get a enough disturbances through out you day that by the time you get to unwind you just want to enjoy yourself and not have worry anymore.

Consistency becomes valuable becuase consistency means reliability.

Their is nothing wrong with wanting to experiment, but if your spouse values consistency it's probably not "just" about the food and you should take that in to consideration.

Small introductions to new things are the best way to acclimate someone to things out of the norm, youre giving them the best of both worlds and not just forcing an abrupt change on to them.
Even when we go to restaurants, he almost invariably orders the exact same dish no matter where we go. It's hilarious. We tend to get into eating jags, like the whole week we'll have (for example) nothing but Jamaican food; for some reason he enjoys new foods if it is preceded by a dish from the same geographic location. Primed palate, I guess.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:39 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
LOL-- when I experiment, I just tell him "don't worry you'll like it". If it were up to him, we'd be eating meatloaf every night. I do make a good meatloaf, but change is good.
It's funny because I cannot get enough of meatloaf! When I was growing up, my father absolutely hated American food. My brother and I did most of the cooking, but we never got have normal foods like meatloaf, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, casseroles, or anything he referred to as "Midwestern slop".

Old 10-08-2015, 01:40 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Then how did you come to know that you like the foods you do and dont like the foods you dont.
It took me a few minutes to figure out how to reply to this.
I guess what it comes down to is if I'm not reasonably sure I'll like something, I'm most likely not going to try it.
Reason: I can't hack being wasteful. Like in current locale, people think it's perfectly acceptable to load plates full or order a crapload of stuff in a restaurant, take one or two bites and say 'eww' and toss it in the garbage. I think that's horrible.
I've never been a picky eater, but I do prefer routine, unless a recipe or something catches my eye.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:43 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
LOL. That's a good one.

Actually, men saying the darndest things, just asking me whats for dinner after I just got home from work qualifies as one of those things. I'm like I give up, what?
With my cooking skills ( or lack there of) he knows he's safer with the "reservations".
I mean .. Who knew that that the smoke alarm wasn't designed as a timer?

Old 10-08-2015, 01:43 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Very true. I learned years ago to only introduce "experiments" as a non-threatening side dish, that way he's still got his usual man food to fall back on and is more likely to be a good sport. He grew up eating the same damn meals with little to no variety, so it's to be expected.
This. As a young child, I closely observed my parents. We had the same dang thing every single week. Pork chops one night, cube steak the next, meatloaf another night, spaghetti after that, chicken after that. Press rewind, replay. I hated it as a kid, but my dad sure was happy about it.

The only time anyone "experimented" was when my mom was off to summer school for her teaching job. Then we got waffles for dinner, and a whole lot of bbq....because of dad.

Every once in a blue moon, and I mean very, very, very rarely, would we get something like pizza or cheeseburgers. I can count on one hand how many times we got fast food for dinner.

Every single night after dinner, dad said the same thing: "Thank you, honey, that was delicious."

If you're going to introduce an experimental dish, I agree it should be a "non threatening side dish". My dad is a typical male...they absolutely do like their routine, whatever that routine may be.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:53 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Well, this thread has morphed into a therapy group for passive aggressive couples.

Just to circle back...has your husband ever said something to you that made you go, hmmm?

My DH came from a family where his mother worked nights, so nice family dinners were few. From the time we got married, he always said he was grateful to have whatever I chose to cook for him. He even came with a few food prejudices, which he didn't tell me about. He thought he didn't like white foods (white sauces) or foods mixed together, as in any casserole, and a few other things, but he now likes all those things. He has also gone from always ordering the same things in restaurants, to experimenting with new foods.
So, we have a sort of unspoken agreement. I make the things he likes, most of the time, but I get to experiment, in order to keep my sanity, whenever I feel like it.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:56 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This. As a young child, I closely observed my parents. We had the same dang thing every single week. Pork chops one night, cube steak the next, meatloaf another night, spaghetti after that, chicken after that. Press rewind, replay. I hated it as a kid, but my dad sure was happy about it.

The only time anyone "experimented" was when my mom was off to summer school for her teaching job. Then we got waffles for dinner, and a whole lot of bbq....because of dad.

Every once in a blue moon, and I mean very, very, very rarely, would we get something like pizza or cheeseburgers. I can count on one hand how many times we got fast food for dinner.

Every single night after dinner, dad said the same thing: "Thank you, honey, that was delicious."

If you're going to introduce an experimental dish, I agree it should be a "non threatening side dish". My dad is a typical male...they absolutely do like their routine, whatever that routine may be.
Let me guess- she had those ladies' home magazines that actually had menus in them?

Old 10-08-2015, 02:06 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Just to circle back...has your husband ever said something to you that made you go, hmmm?
Well my ex said a lot of stuff that make me go more than hmmm? Thus, ex.

I do remember my last bf wanted me to make some stuffed bacon wrapped jalapenos for a get together with his friends so I told him he would have to help. He did not cook, don't even know if he knew what appliance was the stove. After cutting and de-seeding several peppers hes like dang this a lot of work, this blows! well, yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships