Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 08:56 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times

Advertisements

One of my friends posted this on her timeline. I know it's written by a man seemingly directed at men - but I think it really applies to everyone. And my friend that posted it is a woman - and she posted it because it resonated with her about her own life. It's not completely about relationships - but I think it's definitely fitting to this forum.
Six harsh truths which will make you a*better person
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 10:43 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
"If you want to know why society seems to shun you, or why you seem to get no respect, it’s because society is full of people who need things. They need houses built, they need food to eat, they need entertainment, they need fulfilling sexual relationships. You arrived at the scene of that emergency, holding your pocket knife, by virtue of your birth — the moment you came into the world, you became part of a system designed purely to see to people’s needs.

Either you will go about the task of seeing to those needs by learning a unique set of skills, or the world will reject you, no matter how kind, giving, and polite you are. You will be poor, you will be alone, you will be left out in the cold
."

So very true.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:50 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,286,066 times
All very true from reading the article. Life is ULTIMATELY what you make of it. The amount of sacrifice necessary to create change can and is hard and quite taxing; however, the results cannot be denied. A big part of most people's problem is that they want instant gratification. That doesn't require an unknown amount of time in order to complete a goal.

I really liked the article, because quite honestly, it was the VERY HARSH TRUTH ABOUT LIFE. Some people get it easier and some people get it harder, but ultimately, we're all trying to make a better life for not only us, but the people around us as well.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:07 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
All very true from reading the article. Life is ULTIMATELY what you make of it. The amount of sacrifice necessary to create change can and is hard and quite taxing; however, the results cannot be denied. A big part of most people's problem is that they want instant gratification. That doesn't require an unknown amount of time in order to complete a goal.

I really liked the article, because quite honestly, it was the VERY HARSH TRUTH ABOUT LIFE. Some people get it easier and some people get it harder, but ultimately, we're all trying to make a better life for not only us, but the people around us as well.
I think, for me, it's very motivational. I can think all the great things that I want to but none of it makes any difference unless I actually DO something!

Old 10-18-2015, 01:48 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
In honesty, this is why I try to find something I can do better than most people. I just want to find something I can say, I offer better than most in society before I leave this earth.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:55 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,286,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
In honesty, this is why I try to find something I can do better than most people. I just want to find something I can say, I offer better than most in society before I leave this earth.
Very true. I have a tendency to not compete or participate in things publicly that I know I'm not going to excel at. One thing I know that I'm really good at his bowling. I can not bowl for a year and still bowl 160-180. It's all muscle memory at this point, so I know that's something that I'm pretty certain I excel at.

I like to mountain bike ride, but I've only done one race so far, because I'm not competitive enough to really want to push myself to be ahead of the pack. My desire is to ride for fun and exercise, not to compete.

I would say that I am pretty confident in most activities that I do. I've never been that guy who was so competitive that I had to feel as if I was better than anybody else in any sport. Those kind of people truly drive me crazy. Everything to them is a sport and they have to come out on top. Those people make me just want to put a bullet in my head.

I'm also proud that I can say that I do suck at some activities and I'm not shy to admit it either. At 31, I'm only looking at doing things that I feel I have a competitive advantage at, because life in general is enough competition as is. I would love to pick up a couple of other hobbies like drums, but the few times that I've tried, I just haven't been as good as I think I am. I'll just let Rockband be all the drums I need in my life! Haha.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:58 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
That was pretty powerful. I think that should be handed out in schools.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-18-2015, 02:02 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,713,798 times
That article has been kicking around for a while now. I've read it in the past a couple of times actually. It's a good compliment to Dale Carnegies' stuff.

I agree with it completely and I've actually spouted some of that stuff here on the forum.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:04 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Trying to decide if it's too much for 14 year old. Think we will have him give it a read.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-18-2015, 02:06 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,057,359 times
Life is all about value exchange. "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours". Basic business concept. That's pretty much the takeaway from the article, without the rest of the fluff. Nothing particularly ground breaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships