Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 12:59 AM

9 posts, read 5,467 times

Advertisements

I'm 24 (turning 25) and have been married 1 1/2 years now, and I can't stop arguing with my husband to stop saying he won't "let" me do something, especially go out with my friends. I have very strong Caribbean roots, and I like to go dancing a lot and wear fun clothes. Last year at Christmas my husband bought me a lot of clothes, it was like a new wardrobe, but NONE OF IT was in my taste, and I was confused, until I realized he didn't want me dressing the way I like to.

I'm a kindergarten aide and my job is okay with my outfits. On the weekends I might wear something a bit riskier, but never 'slutty'. I bought a sexy bunny Halloween outfit, and was planning to just use the ears and tail and stuff for my house party and office party with a black skirt and shirt, but then in the bedroom wear it with lingerie I bought, but he accused me of just using Halloween as an excuse to dress too sexy outside, thinking I'm mad enough to wear lingerie around my coworkers! When I told him, no, I just wanted to do something fun, he says he'll discuss it with me later like I'm one of his subordinates at work. He thinks my dressing is the reason I still sometimes get asked out with a ring on, or that my smile is "too flirty", but I am not flirting with people or being too friendly, I just like having a lot of friends, but he won't let me have any male friends. He'll ask why I need them.

If I start talking about another man too long, even if it's a hot celebrity, he gets angry, or if he hears me talking on the phone with my faculty friend who teaches fourth grade, he gets violently angry because the guy is sweet on me. I don't like the guy back, never have, and he's clearly not my type, but my husband won't care about that stuff, he'll just break things and buy a new one, but why break things??

We talk compromise all the time, but they're mainly my compromises for him. We moved to Virginia because his family is part owner of a corporation and we need a nice place to have kids. I let slip some of the things about us to a colleague of mine when she wondered why I always leave on the dot right after work, and it's because my husband doesn't see why I have to take my time coming home. It's like he wants to be all of my world and mine all of his, and that sounds nice until it makes me feel stranded on an island with just him. My friend thinks it's just "growing pains" of marriage, but I'm not sure.

This isn't even all of it, sorry if I ramble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 01:15 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,586,954 times
This type of controlling behavior almost always gets worse over time. You both need counseling for your marriage, especially your husband. If he refuses, you may have to leave him.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:29 AM

61,795 posts, read 87,269,132 times
To answer your question: Yes, you do.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:25 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,552,505 times
'This isn't all of it'?

If you're leaving out details like you establishing friendships with other men and getting texted by guys you meet while you're out wearing 'risky' clothing, then I can see his concerns.

Otherwise, yes, he's controlling. He should've realized who he was marrying and that we are not here to change one another.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:39 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,609,571 times
This could be either a little concerning, or a LOT concerning.

If he's not letting you have friends, that's a major concern. It's one thing to be jealous of a man you talk about, but another to limit your contact to just him. That's something that abusers do. I'm not saying he's abusive, but it's worrying.

Thing is, what's the point? Are you going to leave him over this? Insist on counseling?

And how long were you with him before marriage? How did you not iron all of this out beforehand?

Old 10-27-2015, 08:09 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,699,480 times
Yes, he is controlling. On the other hand, your behavior is also a concern.

I would be upset if my wife was continually flirting with a guy who she knew "was sweet on her". Couple that with the idea that you tend to dress the same way you did when you were dating and it would tell me that you are still in dating mode. You are actively working to attract other mates.

So, yeah, counseling for the both of you. Anytime conflict turns physical (throwing things, etc.), it's time to get help.

It's likely you are leaving out some key parts of the story to shine a more favorable light your direction. That's not necessarily a criticism - we all do that. I'm just pointing out that we are only getting half the story.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:15 AM

565 posts, read 433,283 times
Cant blame a guy for not wanting his wife to dress slutty. Party time and getting attention from other men shouldn't be more important than the vows you made at the altar.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:31 AM

20,770 posts, read 19,995,431 times
I think your husband is in over his head with a hot and wild Caribbean wife that doesn't want to be tamed nor grow up.

You are a wife now, act accordingly if you want to keep your marriage. Quit the flirting and texting to other men and why would you talk about other guys all the time? Talk about other guys to your girlfriends, not to your husband, it just makes him even more insecure.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:36 AM

150 posts, read 172,315 times
Seems that you like the attention. Maybe you should have stayed single.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:44 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,019,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafferty28 View Post
I'm a kindergarten aide and my job is okay with my outfits.
That's all well and good- fact is he's not.

Quote:

If I start talking about another man too long, even if it's a hot celebrity, he gets angry, or if he hears me talking on the phone with my faculty friend who teaches fourth grade, he gets violently angry because the guy is sweet on me. I don't like the guy back, never have, and he's clearly not my type, but my husband won't care about that stuff, he'll just break things and buy a new one, but why break things??
I do not condone the breaking things, but why not respect that he doesn't like you being friendly with a guy who likes you romantically?

From what you've said, it seems like there are some severe boundary issues going on here, on both your parts.

Quote:

We talk compromise all the time, but they're mainly my compromises for him. We moved to Virginia because his family is part owner of a corporation and we need a nice place to have kids.
So moving to where he would have a good job and a nice place to raise kids was a compromise on your part how?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships