Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 04:53 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Some women are curvy. They have big legs but not fat, big butt but not fat, rounded body but not fat.
Yup this is how I am. I'm not thin, and not plus size, and not fat or chunky. If I posted a picture I would by all accounts look like how you described-shapely and not overweight looking. I don't do old but i do refer to myself as curvy because up until the last 10 years curvy typically was associated with women that had curves-either in hips, butt, or bust that stuck out(visibly prominent) from the rest of their body. These women were sometimes overweight but most were what would be defined as average-Beyoncé when she was a size 6, Jessica Simpson, Selma Hayek, etc.

Then somehow in this last decade curvy and thick are now terms that are used to describe plus size women. It threw me off at first, because I used to believe that curvy meant shape not weight. I don't know I suppose women that are very overweight may refer to themselves as curvy because they do have shape despite their excess weight. But I definitely don't believe that a woman that calls themself curvy should automatically be linked to being plus size or fat. Then again like I said I don't do Old so I have no clue how often people lie about their body with old pics.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:56 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,225,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Does it really matter what a women labels herself if she has full body photos up?
Agreed! If there are full body shots then go by those. I see myself as average but to some people I'm slender. If you read previous threads on this topic, then you'll find that descriptions can be very subjective. Curvy to me, can be interpreted as thin with curves, or bigger with curves. Someone else will have their own interpretation.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:57 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,878,376 times
"Noticeably fluctuate" would involve 10 pounds or more, I believe. We're not talking water weight from time of the month. And you just touched on why I don't like women who wear much makeup

Aren't there guys here who fear the "curvy" label? How about a story of a guy taking a chance with a "curvy" woman with pics? Camera angle too could disguise a stomach bulge, right?

You know, another option would be for "curvy" women to list dress size as reassurance, but that's almost like listing weight, which is weird.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:21 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,952,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
(OLD = online dating)

Lately I've seen women listed as "curvy" look not fat in the full pictures but actually shapely. That makes me, not open to overweight women, hesitate. Are they using old pics? (There's no easy way to quickly receive newly taken pics before a date, huh?) Do normal-weight women with big curves actually tend to list themselves as "curvy"? Don't they worry about that label's stigma? Such women are not a major dilemma for me - many clearer deal-breakers exist - but I'll put it out there because the issue probably affects many in online dating.
After reading the page, the question that comes to mind is: how old is this guy.

Curvy women obviously come in all ages, but how old is a man who is still trying to figure out the meaning of "curvy"?

Rubenesque women are "curvy". Maybe consider an art history class in your spare time.

Peter Paul Rubens - The complete works

Old 12-18-2015, 05:26 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,476,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Does it really matter what a women labels herself if she has full body photos up?
Exactly who cares she is being more honest than most on OLD let's hope the full body photo is recent

Old 12-18-2015, 05:38 PM

912 posts, read 914,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
More than a few of my lady friends use the term when they're busty, but still have narrow to proportional waists (sometimes booty, sometimes not). It is one of the things I often have to coach friends that are new to OLD about (that curvy = fat to lots of dudes). Some are shocked at that tidbit, others think those guys are just dopes and no loss to have them pass over their profiles anyway.
^^^ This.

I have listed myself as curvy because I have large breasts. I didn't mind if I missed out on people finding my profile because they think curvy = overweight. Someone that shallow isn't someone I would want to date.

Weight is also such a subjective thing (and women often think they look heavier than they actually are -- if men knew anything about women, they'd know that). If someone is going to limit their options based on a radio button selection on something as subjective and trivial as weight, well, I'll leave it at that.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Exactly who cares she is being more honest than most on OLD let's hope the full body photo is recent

How about those MEN that show up and look NOTHING like their photos? It happens more times that not, to my surprise.

If looks are that important to the OP, he can request a photo with a datestamp no older than a week or a Skype session before taking her out. That will help save the majority of women with a decent moral compass from going on a date with him.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
"Noticeably fluctuate" would involve 10 pounds or more, I believe. We're not talking water weight from time of the month. And you just touched on why I don't like women who wear much makeup

Aren't there guys here who fear the "curvy" label? How about a story of a guy taking a chance with a "curvy" woman with pics? Camera angle too could disguise a stomach bulge, right?

You know, another option would be for "curvy" women to list dress size as reassurance, but that's almost like listing weight, which is weird.
Here's an idea: if looks are so important, do speed dating or go to the block so the goods are seen real time.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:50 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times
It sounds as if you don't like women that are curvy regardless of if they are overweight or not - so why does it matter? I've always described myself as curvy, voluptuous, hourglass, etc. I guess all those things are synonymous with overweight now but I don't think that I've ever really been overweight. But I do have an hourglass figure - so that's how I describe myself. But it seems that you still wouldn't be interested in someone like me (around a size 6 - used to be a 4) because there's a chance that I might get bigger once I hit menopause. So - why does it matter? Just stay away from everyone who doesn't describe themselves as thin or whatever your preference might be.

But just to warn you - nobody looks the same forever.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:01 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
If there is a full body shot it doesn't matter.

I met guys like you online. Demanded to know whether pics were recent. I'm thin so I'm not sure why, but they were so obsessed about that, I chose not to meet them.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships