Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 03:52 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,716 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have a question to those who have experience with OLD (I'm pretty new to it)

I registered on a couple of websites (one free, one paid), had some NICE pictures taken (dressed up to the 9s ) and so far it hasn't yielded many results. A get a few messages daily but so far people the instant I mention talking over the phone or meeting up in real life.

So I'm wondering if my pictures are too nice maybe? Maybe it sends the message that my expectations are really high and I need to be wined and dined? Should I throw in some pictures with me just rolling out of bed with messy hair and all?

Or is this pretty typical for OLD?

I've been on it for just about a week and it feels like a full-time job. I feel like I'm spending all my time screening, replying, making talk - and nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 03:58 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Post some pics and we'll get to the bottom of this

Old 12-23-2015, 03:59 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Making a dream come true can be a full-time job. When it happens, you'll say it was worth it.

Generally, it's good to have a variety of pix. One showing you're just a regular gal (I assume you're female), and enjoy the outdoors, or whatever. Something that shows a couple of different sides of your personality, you know, to give the impression of a well-rounded person, like--something to give the impression you have a fun side. And I don't know what "dressed to the nines" means for you, but they say that one photo should show a little skin, like in a sleeveless number, but tasteful.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:00 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Post some pics and we'll get to the bottom of this
Don't mind him, OP; this is his constant refrain on threads like this.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:01 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,178,804 times
It shouldn't matter - but do you also have some "ordinary" pictures showing you doing things (e.g. whatever outdoor activities you enjoy or hanging out with friends or at some other venue, like a social gathering or event of some sort)?

For the few profiles I've seen with nothing but professional/studio shots, I wondered if I was looking at a real profile - it seems a little odd to have noting but studio shots, and makes my guard go up just a bit.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:03 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Photos for online dating is much like photos for a home listed for sale online.
You have to have the right person at the right moment looking at those photos to sell that house and sometimes that can take a while.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:04 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
What do you mean by "too nice"? Like professional-looking?

I'm a photographer, and I used a variety of photos, from professional quality to well-composed selfies, and had no problem attracting attention, messages and dates.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:06 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Professional studio shots? Dressed to the nines with lots of makeup? What did you wear?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-23-2015, 04:08 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Take into consideration that at least half the responses you get are from scammers...learn to identify them and just disregard them.(such as they disappear when you ask for a meet up...they can't since they're who knows where...like Nigeria)

Realize pretty soon that most responses aren't what you're looking for and either amuse yourself with them or ignore but DON'T...DO NOT....figure it's anything you might being wrong.
That's just the starter lesson.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:14 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Take into consideration that at least half the responses you get are from scammers...learn to identify them and just disregard them.(such as they disappear when you ask for a meet up...they can't since they're who knows where...like Nigeria)

Realize pretty soon that most responses aren't what you're looking for and either amuse yourself with them or ignore but DON'T...DO NOT....figure it's anything you might being wrong.
That's just the starter lesson.
To my surprise, I did not deal with scammers. Never once did I have date plans fall through or a guy ghost on me when I brought up meeting.

If, over a period of time, someone isn't getting the kind of messages or matches they want then it makes sense to evaluate their profile, both the words and photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships