Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 06:16 AM

374 posts, read 393,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Well, I'm not in a relationship because I know a woman is gonna force me to do things I don't like. I'd rather be alone than be controlled. My mother tried this on me as a child and I nearly resented her for it. So, she gave me the choice and I have never celebrated Christmas because that's my right and she respects that. Why is it ok for a woman to do what they want but a man can't?
My opinion wouldn't change if the roles were reversed and she was the gringe. It has nothing to do with man vs woman, it has everything to do with a relationship.

Whether it's an intimate relationship, friendship, or a family, there are gives and takes to everyone of those. Sometimes you don't always get what you want or do everything you want.

You call it controlling, fine, call it that all you want, but to most people that's called being selfish and not holding up your end of the relationship.

I do things for my wife that I can assure you I don't want to do, in fact i have inlaws coming into town today to celebrate Christmas late, the last thing I want to do is have company in my house. Guess what? My children want to see their grandparents and my wife wants to see her parents, I'm a total jackass if I tell them not to come or I leave the house. My wife does things for me she doesnt want to do either, but at the end of the day doing things together and being there for each other is what makes us happy.

If you call that being controlled, maybe it's a good thing you arent in a relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 11:11 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Panthers View Post
My opinion wouldn't change if the roles were reversed and she was the gringe. It has nothing to do with man vs woman, it has everything to do with a relationship.

Whether it's an intimate relationship, friendship, or a family, there are gives and takes to everyone of those. Sometimes you don't always get what you want or do everything you want.

You call it controlling, fine, call it that all you want, but to most people that's called being selfish and not holding up your end of the relationship.

I do things for my wife that I can assure you I don't want to do, in fact i have inlaws coming into town today to celebrate Christmas late, the last thing I want to do is have company in my house. Guess what? My children want to see their grandparents and my wife wants to see her parents, I'm a total jackass if I tell them not to come or I leave the house. My wife does things for me she doesnt want to do either, but at the end of the day doing things together and being there for each other is what makes us happy.

If you call that being controlled, maybe it's a good thing you arent in a relationship.
It is. My own mother doesn't tell me what to do anymore because I'm a grown man. You think I'm gonna let a random woman do that to me? Not a chance.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:20 AM

62 posts, read 50,031 times
Quote:
It is. My own mother doesn't tell me what to do anymore because I'm a grown man. You think I'm gonna let a random woman do that to me? Not a chance.
I think you are confusing compromising for the sake of someone you love and being controlled against your will. In a relationship you compromise if you love someone because you know it makes them happy.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:28 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Dude, I usually agree with you but you gotta realize if you want to keep a woman happy, sometimes you have to do like this. If you go into a relationship refusing to do anything she wants, you won't be with her long.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Dude, I usually agree with you but you gotta realize if you want to keep a woman happy, sometimes you have to do like this. If you go into a relationship refusing to do anything she wants, you won't be with her long.
I think in my case when you get used to doing things on your own and doing whatever you want on your own terms. You get stuck in your ways. That's one of the core reasons I haven't dated in half of a year. If I got into a relationship my independence is gone.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:41 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
I think in my case when you get used to doing things on your own and doing whatever you want on your own terms. You get stuck in your ways. That's one of the core reasons I haven't dated in half of a year. If I got into a relationship my independence is gone.
I totally understand where you come from. I know if I get into a relationship I have to use the dreaded c word; compromise. But, please believe, I have a strict limit.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah123 View Post
I think you are confusing compromising for the sake of someone you love and being controlled against your will. In a relationship you compromise if you love someone because you know it makes them happy.
Hmmmm.. I haven't met a woman who has made me felt that way before if I did my stance would probably change. Some days I think I am too independent because I shut women out thinking they'll control me.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I totally understand where you come from. I know if I get into a relationship I have to use the dreaded c word; compromise. But, please believe, I have a strict limit.
One of the things I'll have change about myself for the new year. I gotta stop treating women as villains who are out to get me.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
One of the things I'll have change about myself for the new year. I gotta stop treating women as villains who are out to get me.
It's not a bad thing to have your guard up, because it can protect you from getting involved with the wrong women... but you also have to be careful not to shut the good ones out.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:50 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
And let's not forget there are kids involved, here. This really isn't a "couple" issue, it's a family issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships