Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 01:42 PM

39 posts, read 40,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I'm sure two adults that's been dating for several years can figure out a way to deal with this canine situation.

Time to brainstorm for a solution with your gf, OP.
We have reached an agreement. She needs training. We even found some literature.

This will help.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I think people are a bit upset with your g/f (admittedly sight unseen, I mean there's no way for us to know what's really going on here) because you describe her as encouraging a rescue dog, which has been through enough already, to fear and be suspicious of someone it is forced to regularly see...and yeah...to a lot of animal owners that DOES border on fiendish.

It is honestly pretty mean.
All under control now. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:10 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
All under control now. Thanks.
That was quick.

This thread has gotten really weird.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It's a passive-aggressive behavior. Your GF is disrespecting you
You are absolutely right.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:22 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
My take on this:

Your GF is an inexperienced dog owner.

The problem you have is pretty common. A dog needs to learn that you're the alpha dog in the pack and that it's the subservient dog in the pack. This is dog training 101. Any dog-oriented forum will have endless suggestions on how to train the dog. It's extremely common. You don't want to be the dog's friend. You want to be the alpha dog. That stops the yap dog behavior immediately.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:29 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My take on this:

The problem you have is pretty common. A dog needs to learn that you're the alpha dog in the pack and that it's the subservient dog in the pack. This is dog training 101. Any dog-oriented forum will have endless suggestions on how to train the dog. It's extremely common. You don't want to be the dog's friend. You want to be the alpha dog. That stops the yap dog behavior immediately.
Have you been reading the thread? Lol! Read the last couple posts.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My take on this:

You hit the nail on the head there buddy

Old 01-03-2016, 02:39 PM

6,419 posts, read 4,913,806 times
My wife is the same way with our cat. We didn't have it when we got married but her children adopted it and left and guess who takes care of it? She adores it. I wasn't really a cat person but I have learned to like it and it now likes me after a adjustment period. Try being nice to the dog and give it treats and hopefully it will learn to like/tolerate you. If not you have 2 choices. Find and new GF or live with the dog.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
My wife is the same way with our cat. We didn't have it when we got married but her children adopted it and left and guess who takes care of it? She adores it. I wasn't really a cat person but I have learned to like it and it now likes me after a adjustment period. Try being nice to the dog and give it treats and hopefully it will learn to like/tolerate you. If not you have 2 choices. Find and new GF or live with the dog.
Training has commenced.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:55 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
My girlfriend has this little yip yip dog that sits in her lap and it growls at me every time I try and get close. She eggs it on. She talks to the dog in a baby voice and it really has become a problem when I visit her house. We've been dating for several years and I feel like moving in is the next logical step, but I'm not interested in keeping the dog.

It's her first pet and she's a rescue dog with a lot of problems. How do I handle this?
I had a gf like this passive-aggressive lady you're with.

Take the hint and the warning sign.

Nobody ever wants to take the warning sign. Do the red flags have to hit you in the face or whack you in the butt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.