Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 12:12 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
there's nothing I really want to ask these guys about themselves.

It sounds to me like OLD isn't for you. Why can't you meet guys the old-fashioned way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 12:13 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,332,943 times
Quote:
It hasn't always been this way, but I'm becoming increasingly apathetic about dating. Yet I have an online dating addiction and can't really stop browsing.
People like you make online dating a bad experience for many people. You're apathetic yet addicted, so to quench your addiction you probably tend to waste people's time. Do yourself a favor and step away from online dating, get your addiction under control, and become a better person.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:14 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
And those three things are? ...

Old 01-05-2016, 12:23 PM

19,717 posts, read 20,244,680 times
That's one reason I don't waste my time trying to meet men online. A person's energy & essence is really in their voice & their presense. People generally keep a guard up to some extent, but then add to that the many walls, layers, and filters of technology and you end up getting (and being) a completely watered down version of a personality. You're not meeting a person; you're meeting a persona. ~ Imagine how redundant that whole charade gets..

Old 01-05-2016, 12:29 PM

150 posts, read 172,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It sounds to me like OLD isn't for you. Why can't you meet guys the old-fashioned way?
You don't ask people you want to date about themselves in the old-fashioned way?

Old 01-05-2016, 12:35 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
That's one reason I don't waste my time trying to meet men online. A person's energy & essence is really in their voice & their presense. People generally keep a guard up to some extent, but then add to that the many walls, layers, and filters of technology and you end up getting (and being) a completely watered down version of a personality. You're not meeting a person; you're meeting a persona. ~ Imagine how redundant that whole charade gets..
I agree!

Old 01-05-2016, 12:45 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke2611 View Post
You don't ask people you want to date about themselves in the old-fashioned way?

She said quite specifically that she doesn't even care to ask anyone about themselves. She's just addicted to being online and picking out guys, then she stops communication.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:46 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Yup. But I don't care. I am who I am.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:47 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post

No no no. OLD is about meeting real people. The profiles are just a way to connect. Within a week or two and after a few messages back and forth you meet. The profiles just tell you that you're both single and looking and if you have some things in common. Then you meet and take it from there. It is 1000% more efficient than real life. I'll meet, when I'm actively doing it, more eligible single women in a month on OLD than I do in years of going about my daily routine. And good profiles ooze with personality. Focus on the good ones.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:49 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Nah. I'm not boring. I don't say that to be arrogant or conceited, I just don't think I'm boring.

Quote:

Does anyone else feel like trying to get to know people via online dating is really boring?
Not at all, at least not when it came to men I was highly matched with (90+%). I'm an excellent conversationalist, and I don't do small talk but in rare, specific situations as a way to break the ice (I did this on few occasions when I did OLD, but it was done in a salty/cheeky way).

For instance, I remember sending a message like this to a Marine a couple years back. He was new to OKC and didn't have a lot of details in his profile, but he stated he likes to read. So what did I message him?

"Marines can read!? Color me surprised. I don't think picture books count. " or something to that effect.

The conversations flowed nicely if there was some compatibility and a lot of shared interests.

Quote:
If not, what kinds of things are you talking to potential dates about?
Religion
Politics
OLD experiences
Shared interests - movies, books, music... other hobbies
Details mentioned in profile
Current events
Past relationships
Family
Kids (a lot of the men I talked to/dated are fathers)
Goals
Upbringing/background
Relationship intent/what they're looking for
On OKCupid, answers to the survey questions

Just whatever came to mind. Within 10 minutes of IMing with my husband on OKC he asked why I identified as "agnostic." He scored serious points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships