Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 04:57 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times

Advertisements

I suggest just quitting OLD cold turkey.

It doesn't sound like it's getting you anywhere. I don't think it has anything to do with you being "boring." You're just not really interested and I get this vibe that you think you SHOULD be, and that's why you're insisting on trying to date when in reality you could care less.

I don't consider myself particularly interesting. I rather stay at home and play a video game, draw, or work on my school work. The most I do is go to work and go to school. Despite that, I do have quite a bit of people I talk to at school and at work. Ironically enough, I haven't come across anyone that I "like" either. I believe that's just the way it's suppose to be.

It may be the same for you. Don't try to force yourself into doing something you have no passion for. It'll just make you feel bad. I believe everyone just "drifts" at some point their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 05:05 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I suggest just quitting OLD cold turkey.

It doesn't sound like it's getting you anywhere. I don't think it has anything to do with you being "boring." You're just not really interested and I get this vibe that you think you SHOULD be, and that's why you're insisting on trying to date when in reality you could care less.

I don't consider myself particularly interesting. I rather stay at home and play a video game, draw, or work on my school. The most I do is go to work and go to school. Despite that, I do have quite a bit of people I talk to at school and at work. Ironically enough, I haven't come across anyone that I "like" either. I believe that's just the way it's suppose t be.

It may be the same for you. Don't try to force yourself into doing something you have no passion for. It'll just make you feel bad.
The thing is, I have tried to quit. It usually lasts for about two months. But you are right. I'm not really that interested in dating in general. I don't enjoy socializing just for the sake of socializing. However, I do recall the feeling I had that one time I met someone who I really liked. It was years ago, but it was great and of course I'd like to feel that again, so that's what I keep looking for. Unfortunately, everything else pales in comparison and there's no in between for me. I'm either REALLY over the top into someone or I just don't care. But I feel like I have to be content with "Eh, he seems decent. Maybe I should try to get to know him" because that guy comes along way more often than the "Oh my god, I'm in love with him!" guy.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:40 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
The thing is, I have tried to quit. It usually lasts for about two months. But you are right. I'm not really that interested in dating in general. I don't enjoy socializing just for the sake of socializing. However, I do recall the feeling I had that one time I met someone who I really liked. It was years ago, but it was great and of course I'd like to feel that again, so that's what I keep looking for. Unfortunately, everything else pales in comparison and there's no in between for me. I'm either REALLY over the top into someone or I just don't care. But I feel like I have to be content with "Eh, he seems decent. Maybe I should try to get to know him" because that guy comes along way more often than the "Oh my god, I'm in love with him!" guy.
I know EXACTLY what you mean.

I felt what you're talking about as well about a FEW guys but I haven't felt it in years. There is no happy medium for me either. Either I'm attracted or I'm not. I've tried to force myself to like someone I don't really have any interest in just to give them a shot but it never worked. So I just left it alone all together. If a guy comes along, I'll deal with it then. I believe it's only frustrating because it is perceived as a deviation from the norm. That's why I suggested a break. You can try and get involved with other activities if you want to meet people.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I know EXACTLY what you mean.

I felt what you're talking about as well about a FEW guys but I haven't felt it in years. There is no happy medium for me either. Either I'm attracted or I'm not. I've tried to force myself to like someone I don't really have any interest in just to give them a shot but it never worked. So I just left it alone all together. If a guy comes along, I'll deal with it then. I believe it's only frustrating because it is perceived as a deviation from the norm. That's why I suggested a break. You can try and get involved with other activities if you want to meet people.
I don't really want to meet "people." I want to meet him. I know that it will be harder to meet him if I don't make an effort to meet people in general, but when I met him before it was easy. He sent me a really nice, non-boring message. I wrote him back and everything was just perfect...for a short while. Why can't that happen again???? I don't even need it to be a long lasting thing. Just that perfection even for a short while would be nice.

Anyways, I now have a time and venue set for the Friday meeting, so we'll see how that goes.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:51 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:
I don't really want to meet "people." I want to meet him. I know that it will be harder to meet him if I don't make an effort to meet people in general, but when I met him before it was easy. He sent me a really nice, non-boring message. I wrote him back and everything was just perfect...for a short while. Why can't that happen again???? I don't even need it to be a long lasting thing. Just that perfection even for a short while would be nice.

Anyways, I now have a time and venue set for the Friday meeting, so we'll see how that goes.
To be honest, you can't expect for something like that to happen again.

Something similar? Perhaps. Something EXACTLY like that? Unlikely.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
To be honest, you can't expect for something like that to happen again.

Something similar? Perhaps. Something EXACTLY like that? Unlikely.
But why not? Why does it have to be a once in a lifetime thing?

Old 01-05-2016, 06:12 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
Quote:
But why not? Why does it have to be a once in a lifetime thing?
For some people it may be. Because it depends. You sound like you don't form attachment & fondness too easily. So aside from rare exceptions, you may mostly be indifferent to people. So the number of men who just sweep you off your feet may be few and far between, if not a once-in-a-lifetime deal. Far as genuinely being excited and feeling that infatuation for someone.

So you may find it again. But it may be difficult. I wish you luck. But you'll probably have to be more social, deal with people more in order to find him. I know that's a chore for you, and I understand completely. But if you really wanna find him, you may have to really look and go to him.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
For some people it may be. Because it depends. You sound like you don't form attachment & fondness too easily. So aside from rare exceptions, you may mostly be indifferent to people. So the number of men who just sweep you off your feet may be few and far between, if not a once-in-a-lifetime deal. Far as genuinely being excited and feeling that infatuation for someone.

So you may find it again. But it may be difficult. I wish you luck. But you'll probably have to be more social, deal with people more in order to find him. I know that's a chore for you, and I understand completely. But if you really wanna find him, you may have to really look and go to him.
Thanks, you always make so much sense. I'm going to send you a message and we'll have a chat.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:28 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
This is why I prefer to meet sooner rather than later

Everyone's boring

Even Stephen Hawking would be as dull as ditchwater at times

Its whether your boring types match or not = both laying on sofa vs both wandering aimlessly about beaches or repetitively jumping out of airplanes or chasing a tiny ball about a field.

ETA: I'm deeply boring, being of the Passionate About Politics and Religion and Oppression and Underrepresentation Type of Dull.

Most folks eyes glaze over, I get excited

That's my kind of boring, Bonnie Jean! I can do a bit of small talk if necessary, but I like to cut to the good, meaty stuff, ASAP.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:31 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Married here, but never accused of being boring. I'm fact, I've been urged by many to write a book. That's how exciting I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships