Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:53 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times

Advertisements

Just what it says. This thread is specifically for posting your humorous or "wtf?" moments from relationships. I'll start, since I seem to have a talent at being a Loser Magnet.

About 13 months ago, I was in San Diego for a couple days and I randomly met a nice Australian gentleman who was there on business. He seemed really interesting and nice, so we exchanged contact information, but that's as far as it went, since our socialization was a mere few hours due to both of us being on rather strict business schedules.

He contacted me by email a couple days later, after he'd returned home to Sydney and we struck up a very active email/phone/IM/texting friendship. We seemed to have a lot in common, and after about four months of daily communication he suggested we take a trip together. I said I wanted to think about it for a couple days and he said okay.

Wary of just going off and taking a trip with someone I'd "known" for that short of a time, I decided to check things out. I just happen to have three close personal Australian friends who are in law enforcement down there, one of them actually in Sydney, so I forwarded the gentleman's name and address to my cop friend. I told him what I was considering and asked him to check the guy out, which he did. Everything came back just as I'd been told, with no nasty surprises, so I told my Aussie friend that I'd go on the trip with him.

We decided to go to Asia -- Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia -- and sit on the beach and do a bunch of sightseeing (the trip was scheduled about 6 weeks in advance). I paid about $2300 for my share of the trip, and all seemed well.

Two days before I was scheduled to fly out and meet him in Bangkok, he texts me and says he's met someone else, that he's going on the trip with her instead, and that I shouldn't show up.

Well, needless to say it took some time and effort to get partial refunds on the money I'd spent, but I took it like an adult and just wrote it off as a bad decision on my part. I didn't hear back from him and I didn't try to contact him after that.But wait...it gets better...

Two days ago, in the wee hours of the morning, I get a phone call. Guess who it was? Yes...it was him. He was drunk and crying and said he'd made a terrible mistake by blowing me off and that he was sorry and wanted a second chance. Seven months with no contact and you call me out of the blue? Now that, my friends...is a true "WTF?" moment!! Anyway, I told him I accepted his apology but that I wasn't interested anymore.

So that's my OMGWTF what was I thinking story...feel free to point and laugh, and post your weird or humorous moments too.

Last edited by RoaminRed; 02-06-2008 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: Meh...typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 07:57 AM

120 posts, read 127,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Just what it says. This thread is specifically for posting your humorous or "wtf?" moments from relationships. I'll start, since I seem to have a talent at being a Loser Magnet.

About 13 months ago, I was in San Diego for a couple days and I randomly met a nice Australian gentleman who was there on business. He seemed really interesting and nice, so we exchanged contact information, but that's as far as it went, since our socialization was a mere few hours due to both of us being on rather strict business schedules.

He contacted me by email a couple days later, after he'd returned home to Sydney and we struck up a very active email/phone/IM/texting friendship. We seemed to have a lot in common, and after about three months of daily communication he suggested we take a trip together. I said I wanted to think about it for a couple days and he said okay.

Wary of just going off and taking a trip with someone I'd "known" for that short of a time, I decided to check things out. I just happen to have three close personal Australian friends who are in law enforcement down there, one of them actually in Sydney, so I forwarded the gentleman's name and address to my cop friend. I told him what I was considering and asked him to check the guy out, which he did. Everything came back just as I'd been told, with no nasty surprises, so I told my Aussie friend that I'd go on the trip with him.

We decided to go to Asia -- Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia -- and sit on the beach and do a bunch of sightseeing (the trip was scheduled about 6 weeks in advance). I paid about $2300 for my share of the trip, and all seemed well.

Two days before I was scheduled to fly out and meet him in Bangkok, he texts me and says he's met someone else, that he's going on the trip with her instead, and that I shouldn't show up.

Well, needless to say it took some time and effort to get partial refunds on the money I'd spent, but I took it like an adult and just wrote it off as a bad decision on my part. I didn't hear back from him and I didn't try to contact him after that.But wait...it gets better...

Two days ago, in the wee hours of the morning, I get a phone call. Guess who it was? Yes...it was him. He was drunk and crying and said he'd made a terrible mistake by blowing me off and that he was sorry and wanted a second chance. Seven months with no contact and you call me out of the blue? Now that, my friends...is a true "WTF?" moment!! Anyway, I told him I accepted his apology but that I wasn't interested anymore.

So that's my OMGWTF what was I thinking story...feel free to point and laugh, and post your weird or humorous moments too.
Hey Sweetie! Do you have a "Bum leg" or a cleft lip?? just kidding that's terrible!

Old 02-06-2008, 08:04 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmover99 View Post
Hey Sweetie! Do you have a "Bum leg" or a cleft lip?? just kidding that's terrible!
I don't know, let me check...hmmm...nope, not that I can see. But really, I didn't post it for sympathy -- I find humor in it now, and thought it might be a funny thread for people to post their oddball stories.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:15 AM

857 posts, read 4,879,081 times
Many years ago I met a handsome doctor and we started dating. He was very good company, with a very urbane wit. He was also a complete gentleman. Now, I have to preface this by saying that I spent 4 years in Art school in Manhattan, so I have spent a lot of time around gay men. I had this idea in the back of my mind that he fell into that category... the beautifully decorated home, the keen fashion sense, the hilarious observations about other people... yet he never said anything about it.
One evening we were dining in a lovely restaurant and talking shop and I asked him if he could go back in time and choose a career path not for the money but for the sheer enjoyment of it, would he still become a doctor? He answered no, and then he said that what he really would like to be was a ballet dancer. It was one of those "AHA!" moments. I'm sure there are straight ballet dancers out there but it isn't an answer that most straight men would give on a date.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:49 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post

He contacted me by email a couple days later, after he'd returned home to Sydney and we struck up a very active email/phone/IM/texting friendship. We seemed to have a lot in common, and after about four months of daily communication he suggested we take a trip together. I said I wanted to think about it for a couple days and he said okay.

I was thinking of a few but you've got me beat.
Sorry you had to deal with a jerk like that.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:10 AM

397 posts, read 1,025,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
Many years ago I met a handsome doctor and we started dating. He was very good company, with a very urbane wit. He was also a complete gentleman. Now, I have to preface this by saying that I spent 4 years in Art school in Manhattan, so I have spent a lot of time around gay men. I had this idea in the back of my mind that he fell into that category... the beautifully decorated home, the keen fashion sense, the hilarious observations about other people... yet he never said anything about it.
One evening we were dining in a lovely restaurant and talking shop and I asked him if he could go back in time and choose a career path not for the money but for the sheer enjoyment of it, would he still become a doctor? He answered no, and then he said that what he really would like to be was a ballet dancer. It was one of those "AHA!" moments. I'm sure there are straight ballet dancers out there but it isn't an answer that most straight men would give on a date.
I personally think that you made a bit of a quick judgment on that one. These days, many straight men are living more "meterosexual" lives, taking care of themselves, with good taste in decor, dining etc. In fact, I have many business associates that are like that, and yet they are very much straight. This kind of lifestyle is certainly catching on with many straight men, and I for one like it.

Also, there really are straight male ballet dancers out there. I know two personally. Ballet, although not so in the popular mind, can be a very masculine sport - those men have to be very strong and fit.

While I am not saying your friend is NOT gay, I would not necessarily assume that he is. Do not put people in a box. If he likes you and he is into you, then it is what it is.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:38 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
Due to your stereotypes you may have missed out on a wonderful relationship! However, under the stereotypes it sounds like you were "reading" him and figured it out.

I'm a gay man and he sounds perfect for me! Still got his number? LOL!

Old 02-06-2008, 08:34 PM

754 posts, read 1,449,186 times
I was set up on a blind date years ago by a friend. She'd just started dating this guy and met one of his friends, found out he was single and thought she'd set us up. I had nothing to lose so I told her to give me his number and I called him. We talked on the phone all week and decided to meet for dinner that weekend and afterwards we'd go to the party being thrown by my friends new beau. Well, he picks me up we go out and it was actually a pretty good date. I thought he was cute, kind, sort of charming and during dinner I decided that I'd definitely go on another date with him. After the date we went the the party. The four of us were sitting around a table on the patio when he'd decided that his leg hurt. So he proceeded to take it off. I was in shock, I mean that was the last thing I expected. Right there on the table his prostethic leg. Never once did he mention this, and my friend and I just sat there looking at it. While we were both young at the time and I can sympathize that it must be something that's hard to say but come on don't just take it off in front of me. Anyway, I never went out with him again. Maybe if he could've told me ahead of time I may not have reacted that way. Or like I said I was young and we're all looking for perfection in our youth. But to this day, my friend and I still laugh about it (she didn't know either).

Old 02-06-2008, 09:01 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Its unfortunate that background checks can't pick up that someone is a jerk.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:16 PM

857 posts, read 4,879,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Due to your stereotypes you may have missed out on a wonderful relationship! However, under the stereotypes it sounds like you were "reading" him and figured it out.

I'm a gay man and he sounds perfect for me! Still got his number? LOL!
He has since moved away. I wish I still had his # to give you because he was quite a catch and, yes, I did read him right. He eventually admitted that even though he was gay he really liked my company, so I suggested that we call it "hanging out together" instead of "dating", and then everybody would be happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships