Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 10:29 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,029,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No. You won't be looking for a place much after 5:00PM - 6:00PM so you still have evenings to go out and you won't be looking for a place all day/evening Saturday or Sunday.

Well I can't agree with this. Most apartment showings in my life were later than this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 10:30 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,010,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
You are right. You are in no place to be dating now.
You nailed it.

He shouldn't be dating if finding an apartment and paying for it is already a major challenge.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:31 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,244,637 times
After two dates? I'd wish you luck and be on my way; either it's a cowardly excuse to not date me anymore, or you think I'm going to wait in the wings until you get everything in order. If there was more of an investment in the relationship, I'd be more than happy to help you find a new place and get all settled in.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:31 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,313,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well I can't agree with this. Most apartment showings in my life were later than this!
You know what, if you do not want to date then don't but don't expect anyone to wait for you until June to go on a 3rd date. If you cannot handle more than a couple things going on in your life you really have no business dating anyway. Honestly, the only one losing out on anything is you so have at it.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You know what, if you do not want to date then don't but don't expect anyone to wait for you until June to go on a 3rd date. If you cannot handle more than a couple things going on in your life you really have no business dating anyway. Honestly, the only one losing out on anything is you so have at it.

Who said anything about that? I've lived in apartments for 25 years now. All I'm saying is that most showings for rooms or apartments, in my experience, are nights and weekends.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:49 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,632,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
Do you understand the challenge I'm faced with? Finding a new place that is affordable in a safe neighborhood?

Do u see how I need my mental energy to find the best place possible?
I know that more often than not, I get in my moods where I just want to focus on other things in my life and dating just seems like a hassle that I don't want to deal with. I'd like to think that I'd try to make time for someone who I had a genuine interest in though. I understand that this is a stressful situation for you and it takes priority over other things. Good luck with finding a place!

Old 01-15-2016, 10:54 AM

20,417 posts, read 14,714,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Who said anything about that? I've lived in apartments for 25 years now. All I'm saying is that most showings for rooms or apartments, in my experience, are nights and weekends.
CSD thought you were the OP there, methinks.

Thing is, it hardly matters what time the showings are, because even going and looking at them this far in advance is pretty silly in most areas I've ever been. I'd only be scoping out listings to get an idea how much I'd expect to spend at this stage. I would actually start making calls and looking at places 1.5 months before time to move, tops. Maybe even less. I can secure a new home within a couple of weeks if I have to, easy.

An affordable one, in a safe area.

Now, if the problem is actually that he had some special arrangment where he paid less than what his housing was worth, and now he's got to get on the REAL rental market and he can't afford what he wants (a safe place in a decent area)...that's a whole other problem, he needs to set the goal of increasing his income or decreasing his living expenses or both. And if his credit isn't good he's going to have to accept less than posh housing regardless.

Others are right. OP shouldn't be dating. Maybe not for a few YEARS. Dating leads to sex. Sex can lead to babies. If this situation freaks him out so much, imagine what would happen if he accidentally reproduced...OP ought to grow up some and get some life skills and goals met first.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
CSD thought you were the OP there, methinks.

Thing is, it hardly matters what time the showings are, because even going and looking at them this far in advance is pretty silly in most areas I've ever been. I'd only be scoping out listings to get an idea how much I'd expect to spend at this stage. I would actually start making calls and looking at places 1.5 months before time to move, tops. Maybe even less. I can secure a new home within a couple of weeks if I have to, easy.

Oh sure, unless it is a roommate thing a couple of months out, things happen fast. I'm on a month to month now so I need to give 30 day notice on or before the end of the month. The problem I was having when I looked for a new place was that very few places would contemplate waiting the 30+ days for me to give notice, so I'd need to pay for both apartments overlapping for a month. In a decent area, especially an affordable apartment, they go fast. Really fast. If you dont' take it, someone else will within a few days.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:05 AM

15,809 posts, read 20,568,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
I was informed that my building was sold and my lease is not being renewed. So now I have to find a new place to live before June. So I won't be able to see you until June if u want to wait but if not I understand. I need to be focused right now on finding a place instead of going on dates.

Her response was "there tons of free events". I explained to her that I won't be any fun to be around right now and she gets annoyed and ends the call.

Isn't my situation a good reason not to date?

Basically what you told her was that anytime life throws you a curve ball, you need to put everything on hold to focus on that one thing.

Sounds like an excuse

I met and dated my girlfriend while I was in the middle of selling my condo, having random showings at all houses, open houses, staging my place, moving out, storing my stuff in a storage unit, finding a short-term apartment apartment, moving in with parents when I couldn't find an apartment, and then going to open houses every weekend, random house viewings with short noticed, buying said house and then moving in...with my girlfriend. Not once in that 7 months of hell did I think of ending my relationship with my G/F to focus on that. If anything, she was right there with me the entire way and we had a blast.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:07 AM

7 posts, read 13,313 times
C'mon people it's only a few months of waiting. Haven't any of you gone on a fantastic first date and then told the person that you had a great time, but you've got some stuff going on and then you'll call within the next 2 years? Doesn't everyone do that?

Obviously, everyone is responding seriously when the OP put this post up as a joke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships