Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 11:51 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times

Advertisements

Personally as much as I've sucked at it, OLD is easier for me because the intent is more clear and I don't have to worry about being shot down in public or in person and the rejection just stays in secret:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 01:42 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
As others have said, nobody dates online. Despite the name, online dating is just another way to be introduced to people--the dating part happens in person.
Is that why I see an occasional woman's profile that is "willing to lie about how we met"? Do guys have that hangup spelled out on their profiles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post
Online dating is just a form not the intention, unless you want "chat pals" the intention is to get dates in real life.
One would think that, but oddly enough, I could check out a typical dating website and most of the women's faces would probably be familiar to some months or even years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Personally as much as I've sucked at it, OLD is easier for me because the intent is more clear and I don't have to worry about being shot down in public or in person and the rejection just stays in secret:
Unless you happen to message on of those gals that has a site detailing the follies of the guys that message her...then, it's not any more private.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:08 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
Is it easy for you to approach and talk to women? If so, then offline approaches are better.

If not, online is "probably" better, keeping in mind that your success rate will not be good. The type of person for whom it would, wouldn't be asking.

Then again, there's no law that says you can only use one.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:16 PM

123 posts, read 120,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Is that why I see an occasional woman's profile that is "willing to lie about how we met"? Do guys have that hangup spelled out on their profile?

Yep. I saw one guy's say "Let's tell them we met at Olive Garden." I wondered if that was a joke because that would almost be more embarrassing than OLD.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:17 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
Meeting women in real life is worth it. There is no substitute for the in-person experience right away.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:51 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Read some of the older threads. These discussions come up often. I never struggled to get dates offline. I just didn't have any interest in pursuing this route for meeting potential dates. I knew myself well enough to know it was highly unlikely I'd meet my people/type offline. There's no way to screen for basic criteria and compatibility, and I had no interest in wasting my (and anyone else's) energy and time going through this sort of screening process that can take several dates or longer -- it is wholly inefficient for me. Ain't got no time for that.

I was very selective, and given my personality, busy schedule with three kids, and lack of social circle with available men that met my criteria (99% of my friends are married women), online was the most efficient, convenient and effective way to meet and screen potential matches.

It worked fabulously for me.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:06 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Meeting women in real life is worth it. There is no substitute for the in-person experience right away.
For someone who is, say, decidedly child-free, in-person interaction can be rather fruitless if that individual doesn't meet this criteria, which already narrows an individual's dating pool. Yep. Meet a nice woman at a meetup group/bar/social event, chat, sense some chemistry, grab drinks one evening, enjoy some conversation, dinner, etc. Then realize the woman is not child-free. Deal-breaker. Full stop. Waste of time. Rinse and repeat. This would become monotonous, costly and frustrating.

At least with online there are various, many, details you can assess from the get-go without having to go through the whole process of fleshing out key details that are typically NOT first or second date conversation topics for most people (I tackled the big issues within the first few online and phone conversations with high matches). It cuts down on the "Damn. I really liked her." feeling.

No amount of chemistry is going to turn deal-breakers into not-deal-breakers. Best to get those issues out of the way from the very beginning.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:54 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
I thought jigglypuff, puffy marshmallow was the one that you "wuv".

Did she jiggle on down the road?

Old 02-07-2016, 04:01 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,225,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I thought jigglypuff, puffy marshmallow was the one that you "wuv".

Did she jiggle on down the road?
Puffy marshmallow melted under the warmth of his lurve!

Old 02-07-2016, 04:06 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,811 times
Real life is generally better, ONLINE is only good as a side option and not the main vehicle to meeting people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships