Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 01:32 PM

102,258 posts, read 108,238,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeNSoCal;42906059[B
]I prefer to date women who are my age or slightly older. I have dated younger women before, only by two years. [/b]I know it is in the norm for a male to be older than the female in a relationship, but I am picky on that.

I do go out to parties and bars with my remaining unmarried friends. But I am having difficulty in finding women I am interested in as of late, it seems to correlate with my increase in age. I've been trying to think of other events or places to go to. I am pretty fit, so I've been thinking of yoga classes. I met one girlfriend at a mall years ago; may try that again too. Any other ideas are welcome.

I have not tried online dating. I have looked, but I worry that the person behind the profile would be the fat guy from Borat posing as a beautiful woman.
That's all I had in mind. You just turned 30, but there are plenty of single 28- and 29-year-old single women in Chicago, their cut-off date hasn't arrived yet, lol. And I have no doubt that there are single women your age and slightly older who are single and looking.

Get out of the bar scene and get involved in community activities. There's a huge variety of options (see the page of your newspaper that lists clubs, and other weekly activities): various dance lessons (salsa, folk, ballroom, swing and more), Chicago has a booming co-ed soccer league run by the Parks Dept., not sure if you're the sports type; a couple of people have mentioned cooking classes; there may be a film society, if you're a film buff; travel seminars through the local travel bookstores or outdoor recreation orgs; charitable groups like Habitat For Humanity (women get involved, because they know that's where the men are, and some women have home-improvement/carpentry skills); theater improv workshops and other workshops of all kinds, etc. A big city like Chicago has a lot to offer; you're 30, and you haven't checked out that whole world of possibilities? What are you waiting for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeNSoCal View Post
Yes, I used to live in Chicago. I am in the suburbs now though. Most of my friends (even single ones) either have children or want them, but that is even from people I met in the city itself. I believe a UN statistic I read awhile ago stated that ~95% of people end up having children at some point. So I am aware of how difficult this is to find. I worry I may be forced into celibacy at some point. Of course, these are UN statistics I am talking about, so who knows. From life experience so far, I see potential truth in such a result.

Good point. Darn biological clocks and all...
Your username is something about WannaBe and Cal. I think you should give Chicago a good try, which you haven't yet, since you've only been going to parties and bars. You haven't even scratched the surface of what your city has to offer dating-wise. But I'm also wondering, in view of your preference for women who don't want kids, if there's any chance in the future you could relocate to the W Coast. A preference to not have kids, IME, is not that unusual out there.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:49 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,476,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The only reason, eh? Bosh. Sometimes a man just likes long, long legs wrapped around him.
I stand corrected. There's reason #2.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I stand corrected. There's reason #2.
Some guys, actually a lot of guys, are into the statuesque look. Some guys don't even know they're into that until a tall, slim woman enters a room. Tall, elegant women automatically command attention.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:11 PM

214 posts, read 176,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's all I had in mind. You just turned 30, but there are plenty of single 28- and 29-year-old single women in Chicago, their cut-off date hasn't arrived yet, lol. And I have no doubt that there are single women your age and slightly older who are single and looking.

Get out of the bar scene and get involved in community activities. There's a huge variety of options (see the page of your newspaper that lists clubs, and other weekly activities): various dance lessons (salsa, folk, ballroom, swing and more), Chicago has a booming co-ed soccer league run by the Parks Dept., not sure if you're the sports type; a couple of people have mentioned cooking classes; there may be a film society, if you're a film buff; travel seminars through the local travel bookstores or outdoor recreation orgs; charitable groups like Habitat For Humanity (women get involved, because they know that's where the men are, and some women have home-improvement/carpentry skills); theater improv workshops and other workshops of all kinds, etc. A big city like Chicago has a lot to offer; you're 30, and you haven't checked out that whole world of possibilities? What are you waiting for?
I am not sure where to start. I have found some hiking groups and may try to volunteer with something. Those are some good ideas. I can already cook, but I guess I could act incompetent to get a girl's attention or assistance.

Quote:
Your username is something about WannaBe and Cal. I think you should give Chicago a good try, which you haven't yet, since you've only been going to parties and bars. You haven't even scratched the surface of what your city has to offer dating-wise. But I'm also wondering, in view of your preference for women who don't want kids, if there's any chance in the future you could relocate to the W Coast. A preference to not have kids, IME, is not that unusual out there.
I need to change my screen name. I created this account when I was looking to move out there. After my last visit to Los Angeles, I have decided LA is not for me. Love to visit, not to reside out there. I will look into changing it now...

Small update: No luck in the mall today. (Haha)

Old 02-06-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I am not sure where to start. I have found some hiking groups and may try to volunteer with something. Those are some good ideas. I can already cook, but I guess I could act incompetent to get a girl's attention or assistance.

I need to change my screen name. I created this account when I was looking to move out there. After my last visit to Los Angeles, I have decided LA is not for me. Love to visit, not to reside out there. I will look into changing it now...

Cooking classes aren't about the basics. They usually feature a certain type of cuisine: Chinese, French, fancy desserts, whatever. They're an opportunity for people to expand their repertoire.

Hiking is popular in a number of cities, and some of the groups have singles hikes. Some hiking orgs also sponsor winter social events where people show their photos of travel hikes and so forth.

BTW, I agree: LA--GAH! NorCal & Central Coast Cal, Oregon and Western WA can be nice, though.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:01 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,476,346 times
Quote:
The mall is one of the tougher venues. I don't like the mall as a venue for meeting women. Some people do better with that venue. I have had better results at the grocery store for meeting women as I have to pick up groceries. Some grocery stores are better than others and venue selection is key what that, as it would be for choosing stores to find eligible women. I need to go to the grocery store more than I actually need to go to the mall stores.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
The mall is one of the tougher venues. I don't like the mall as a venue for meeting women. Some people do better with that venue. I have had better results at the grocery store for meeting women as I have to pick up groceries. Some grocery stores are better than others and venue selection is key what that, as it would be for choosing stores to find eligible women. I need to go to the grocery store more than I actually need to go to the mall stores.
I agree with this. Don't overlook the potential of the grocery store, OP. Practice making chit chat in the cashier line, and asking women for advice on products, in the aisles.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:13 PM

214 posts, read 176,785 times
Quote:
Quote:
I agree with this. Don't overlook the potential of the grocery store, OP. Practice making chit chat in the cashier line, and asking women for advice on products, in the aisles.

Yes, I have tried grocery stores before. Sometimes it is tricky finding the right time to find single women at the store; they don't always restock in time. (Hah!)

Old 02-11-2016, 01:51 PM

405 posts, read 241,682 times
Quote:
Wanting a woman who does not want children is probably too stringent of a criterion. While you won’t have issues finding women who do not have children, taking it one more step to not wanting children is going to be an issue. For childless men who are lukewarm about kids or don’t want kids, the best policy is to keep your mouth shut as much as possible on this. You can easily get away with telling a childless woman that you are not interested in having kids in the short term, and this will fly as she won’t be either. Keep using condoms. You will be able to get a couple years of a relationship without the kid issue coming up.

how is that too stringent?, he doesn't want to have kids, why should he waver on that. If it is an issue for the woman then she is not the right one, I myself feel the same I do not want any kids and any woman who is uncomfortable with that is not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships