Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:52 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,510,627 times

Advertisements

A comment in the "minimum wage dating" thread got me wondering...

If minimum wage employment is a relationship dealbreaker, what about jobs which pay a little better but are considered sorta shady or disreputable?

Like would you date a used car salesman at the shady "buy here pay here" car lot? Or someone working in an adult video store? Or a stripper / dancer? A bouncer? A weed dealer or grower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 09:57 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,045,818 times
I won't say disfavored in general, but there are professions that attract certain personalities that I've found make them not ideal for me.

I've never had any luck dating accountants or lawyers. I'm sure there may be some good ones out there for me, but I've dated 3 lawyers and 3 accountants, and worked with many more of each, and they just don't seem to jive with who I am. I do tend to jive well with teachers, nurses, project leaders, and creative types.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:59 AM

48,581 posts, read 34,980,811 times
Well, no, I would not date someone into illegal activities.

I generally do not like car salesman types, I can usually tell the type in a social setting.

Others? Law enforcement and pilots come to mind.

If I was single and I met one of those types I would give them the benefit of the doubt. LOL. My husband is kind of two of those.....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-09-2016, 10:01 AM

15,076 posts, read 10,136,586 times
Define shady and disreputable. Stripper, dancer, adult entertainment, bouncer, and used car salesmen are all legal occupations. Weed dealer in certain states is also legal. There exists shady individuals working as business owners, lawyers, etc.. too...

I don't believe minimum wage is capable of sustaining an individuals living expenses much less a family.. thus entering a relationship with a "dependent". A used car salesman, for example, can possibly support oneself and family. Even a stripper can for a period of time.

As for me. yes.. and I have had a relationship with someone in one of the occupations listed. We ended the relationship for other reasons; I wanted children and she already had 2 with no aspirations for more was one of the reasons.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:04 AM

930 posts, read 701,572 times
If they do not possess a strong moral character, that is a deal breaker to me. If their ethics do not align with mine, that would be a deal breaker as well.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:06 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,553,269 times
The moral/danger aspect of the said jobs would be the biggest drawback for most regardless of the £££ being earned.

It's better to have someone on minimum wage and know they were safe and not at risk.

With the " car salesman " type, one that's constantly lying and earned from it would put me off for the obvious reason .

Old 02-09-2016, 10:10 AM

Hehehe... let's not pick on the used car salesman only.. many in marketing and sales "bend" the truth a bit as well. It is often part of the territory. Shady? I'm not so sure.. undecided

Me.. I'm too transparent.. I would suck a those jobs.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:12 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,553,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Hehehe... let's not pick on the used car salesman only.. many in marketing and sales "bend" the truth a bit as well.
I'm just going of the first post mate

No harm intended.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:13 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,708,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
The moral/danger aspect of the said jobs would be the biggest drawback for most regardless of the £££ being earned.

It's better to have someone on minimum wage and know they were safe and not at risk.

With the " car salesman " type, one that's constantly lying and earned from it would put me off for the obvious reason .
I agree that the moral/danger aspect is a major drawback. I would add to that any job that makes it really hard to actually spend time together/date (AKA someone who is away a lot on business).

I think it's important to note that these things don't make a person undatable, but it would make them less desirable to date (all things being equal).

Old 02-09-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
I'm just going of the first post mate

No harm intended.
None taken...

I've been told that I extend trust to easily... but a sales guy? One of the few situations when my guard is automatically on full alert. No offense to sales people.

But again... shady? nah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships