Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 12:00 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times

Advertisements

In the early stages, multiple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 01:12 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
It depends on how busy I am at the time but I prefer to date multiple. To me, dating is like a job interview. If I'm looking for a job I fill out more than one application or send in multiple resumes to find out which job fits me best. Same with dating.

I found that if I'm dating one person at a time, I'm more hung up on small details of it like if that person likes me, why they didn't call at the time they said etc. While dating 2 or 3 people, I'm not so hung up on the smallest details. So if guy 1 doesn't work out or disappears.... oh well. I still have guy 2. The key is to be honest about it with your dates.

I'll never date more than 2 or 3 at a time. Just dating though....

Old 02-20-2016, 01:17 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
When I was dating, it was one at a time. I expected that from the other person as well.
I always gave it until the second date. If both of us weren't hooked by date two, it was over. If I didn't like him enough to want to focus on a relationship with him, chances are it was never going to happen.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:56 PM

957 posts, read 1,060,564 times
Multiple in the early stages as well, I used to be a one at time type guy but I got sick of women ghosting on me after seemingly decent dates. It's a poor attitude to carry with me I guess, but if they're constantly looking for something better I will too =)

Old 02-20-2016, 03:06 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,911,025 times
I have known a few women that have always seemed to be dating multiple guys at the same time.

It's basically tactical-calculating & strategic hypergamy.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:07 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
It's an interesting conundrum. On many of these threads it sounds as though guys rarely will hang around for more than 2 or 3 dates if there's no sex. So what are the odds that there's really that much overlap? I mean you can say one thing in theory but I think in practice it's probably not a big deal. And if you're just TALKING, then I'd have no problem at all with multiple dates during the same time period.

Kind of like job interviewing - if you only have one, how do you compare? ha

Old 02-20-2016, 03:30 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
I wouldn't recommend one at a time unless you finally decide that you want to see if this is "the One". It doesn't mean you have to have to hot and heavy relationships going at the same time. Keep it casual and light. Once you're exclusive, the other starts to think they own you.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:04 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,289,482 times
It really depends on what you want. If I am not interested in a serious relationship, I date many. If I start getting close with one or two of them, I phase out the others. If you can single one out, then you stop dating the other one. If they are not into having a relationship, then keep dating and look for another. I don't understand the reasoning behind dating one person at a time...especially when you aren't even exclusive. People put themselves in that exclusive category, and may be missing out on someone, for nothing.

Of course doing it my way can **** some off, and they decide to bolt. It's happened, so it's nice to have the backups so you don't dwell on it. IMO, one woman is as difficult, if not more difficult to date than four. With one, you have expectations. With more than one, you don't have as much. As long as you are upfront, there is no more hassle dating more. With more women on your plate, you tend to be more focused, and less complacent, at least I was.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:41 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times
I always dated multiple until one came along that I wanted a LTR with, then I'd drop everyone and focus on building that relationship.

I too learned the hard way about having relationships with more than one, I wouldn't ever jeopardize something good thinking the grass is greener ever again. Its almost always never worth it.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:30 AM

914 posts, read 738,060 times
When I can be arsed with online dating, I tend to chat with several guys at a time. Sometimes that will result in multiple "first dates" with different guys. I don't multidate beyond the first date though. It's not that I necessarily think there is anything wrong with that but as an introvert, meeting new people all the time is not my favourite thing in the world. So if I like one guy during the first date, I will drop the others to focus on the person I got on with best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships