Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 02:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times

Advertisements

Not at all a singles only activity. I go with my wife frequently, my work and former work places have it a few times a year.

Happy hour is merely a time when a selection drinks and/or food is lower in cost, as places compete for customers in what is normally/traditionally a low demand time, but has turned more into a custom in many places.

I do not know your husband's profession, but this is where those soft skills come in handy. Happy hour, the gold course, etc are where the deals are made, it is where the "who you know" gets you further than the "what you know".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 03:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
I went to one last week; it was a reunion get together with my old co-workers. Almost all of us are married or in committed relationships. So, I vote that Happy Hour is no more "for singles" than it is "for" anybody.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Also? I have a husband and a kid. I was home with the kid all day, and handed him off to his dad so I could attend the event. So, yes, people with spouses and children may indeed elect to attend the occasional Happy Hour.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:21 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
Thanks for the info. I guess I will be cool with it then. He goes to lots of get togethers with colleagues...welcoming parties, good bye parties, milestone parties, research groups (that are also parties, really), dinners, conferences...etc. This one just seems more "social" and a little weird. Oh well, baby bird is leaving the nest (I used to be the captain of his social life at his old job where no one ever got together so it was always getting together with my friends and groups).

Old 02-26-2016, 03:22 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,907,427 times
I used to go to happy hour with coworkers every Friday night, for at least 10 years. Sometimes I was single, sometime I wasn't. Some coworkers were married, some were attached, and some were not. Once in a great while one or more of us would invite our significant others, but mostly we wouldn't. No one, no one, was ever looking to hook up.

Since I never drank beer and would rather drink mid-shelf drinks over the cheapo stuff, I never really benefitted from the cheap prices of happy hour, but a lot of my co-workers did. To me the whole point was to decompress at the end of a high-stress week with a bunch of people who understood the same stress. We could vent about people or situations at work, laugh, and make jokes about the stressful stuff we'd gone through, and end the week on an up-note. We'd get a bunch of appetizers to pass around (which were also cheaper at happy hour) and eat and drink for 3-4 hours or so.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:01 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,408,576 times
This is the first time I've ever heard of this.

Happy Hour is NOT intended for singles.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:14 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,411,374 times
OP you need to get out more.

Have you ever worked a normal corporate job?

Old 02-26-2016, 04:25 PM

902 posts, read 1,106,121 times
happy hour is predominantly business people and CoWorkers meeting after hours....... who doesn't want to go get some 1/2 price drinks with their coworkers

It's a great time to network

not too many single ladies, they come out later it seems

Last edited by azsportpilot; 02-26-2016 at 04:51 PM..

Old 02-26-2016, 04:31 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Tonight my husband is planning to go to happy hour with a group from work. I told him I was uncomfortable with it. I am, even if I don't feel like he is going to cheat on me. It just feels wrong. To me its something single people do...who don't have a wife and kids to get home to. He said I was wrong, most of his department is married. I do know the woman organizing it is single.

What do you all think? Is it a singles type activity?

P.S. Before I get jumped on, he does several evening events with peers and friends. I don't mind. Something about this one feels different.
It's an inexpensive drinking activity.

[]

Old 02-26-2016, 04:33 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
OP you need to get out more.

Have you ever worked a normal corporate job?
Nope, I havent. Ive only been self employed as an adult. I was misinformed. I envisioned single people who worked together going out together after work...cause what else do they have to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships