Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 01:42 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Though I think those rare bookstores that have a coffee/snacks corner or cafeteria attached are more conducive. But still, it's rare to see those used as singles hang-outs. So much potential, going unrealized.
Buy a jigsaw puzzle and then go sit and work on it in the cafe. People may not comment, but they will most certainly look your way!

I find people tend to treat the book store like the library - very hush, hush like we'll get in trouble for talking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 02:09 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Buy a jigsaw puzzle and then go sit and work on it in the cafe. People may not comment, but they will most certainly look your way!

I find people tend to treat the book store like the library - very hush, hush like we'll get in trouble for talking.
It depends on the bookstore. Ones with some kind of coffee or food concession--less so. And if it has a music/disc section, even better. And then there are the bookstores that host events, book readings/signings, etc. More unrealized potential, but very ripe for discovery and utilization for mixing and mingling.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:10 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Eh, depends on where you go, a paperback is what $8-10? Less than most cocktails.

But honestly I never see guys just going and buying drinks for random chicks anyway. Never did at any age, in any state.
I have seen it for the last 40 years. Dive bars, neighborhood bars, lounges in nice restaurants, and even in discos in the 70's. I've bought my share over the years. Sometimes it worked.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:11 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It depends on the bookstore. Ones with some kind of coffee or food concession--less so. And if it has a music/disc section, even better. And then there are the bookstores that host events, book readings/signings, etc. More unrealized potential, but very ripe for discovery and utilization for mixing and mingling.
I'm starting to think bookstore meetups might be a heck of an idea!!!

Get all us nerds together in one place to mingle.

Or is there already something like this?

I'm not in the market for anything romantic but I would love love love to just have a group I could go hang out with in this way, discuss books or not (have belonged to several book clubs but they were so pretentious and restrictive), have a cuppa, exchange used books with one another, etc., etc.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:16 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I have seen it for the last 40 years. Dive bars, neighborhood bars, lounges in nice restaurants, and even in discos in the 70's. I've bought my share over the years. Sometimes it worked.
In the late 80s and into the 90s, if I went out with friends to a bar (this was pretty rare for me but there would be happy hour and so on), every so often someone would buy a drink for one or another of us..it wasn't common as in constantly or anything, but I do recall several times clearly that it happened...I remember the first time, I had no idea what I was supposed to do...my sister said you go over if you're giving a "yes," or you hold up the drink and nod to thank the guy if it's a "no" because you still want to be polite.

All of which only cemented how relieved, glad and grateful I was that I really never had to rely on bars to meet men. Just...not really into it!

I don't know if the same stuff goes on today. This was 20+ years ago.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:37 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Books are expensive! More than a cocktail, anyway. Plus then I just want to be alone and read the whole thing.
lol. This was my first thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Does anyone even read anymore, other than their phone or tablet? Sounds like a great idea circa 1975 but nowadays our youth are consumed with the electronic media, not print.
Of course there are. I visit bookstores most weeks, can easily spend hours in there.

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted); off-topic.

Sooo I don't think the OP is not a bad idea (not so much buying a book, but striking up conversation) but I'm often in my own little world in a bookstore. lol

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-07-2016 at 12:13 PM..

Old 04-06-2016, 06:07 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
I'm a big believer in looking for good body language before any approach in any venue. If a woman smiles at me when I smile at her, I'm usually set. No smile, no approach. No approach, no need to spend cash.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:59 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I'm a big believer in looking for good body language before any approach in any venue. If a woman smiles at me when I smile at her, I'm usually set. No smile, no approach. No approach, no need to spend cash.
So you're not a gambling man then mate?

Old 04-06-2016, 08:50 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
So you're not a gambling man then mate?
I like to put myself in situations where I can succeed. I have always done my best to avoid cold approaching with no indicators of interest. I look for good body language, then approach.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:09 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,472 times
You know, I've never had a random guy ask to buy me a drink. Although men have bought me food! Most recently a cop bought me a burrito at Chipoltle. I was trying to buy his lunch just to be nice because my boyfriend does that for cops and I think it's a good behavior to emulate. The cop ended up buying my burrito and his. Turns out the cashier knew him and didn't let me buy his burrito. Lol.

Dates, yes. All the men I've dated pretty much bought any drinks I ordered, but never a random stranger. Although a lot of that might be because I am not a bar or club person. So I'm rarely there.

Books would be cool! My boyfriend actually gave me a book on our first date. He said instead of flowers. He picked a really good scifi book for me. I like flowers, but the book really stood out and was more appreciated and appropriate for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships