Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2016, 09:04 PM

451 posts, read 466,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I have never used online dating in my life but what I have seen on this forum and heard in real life; You need thick skin to succeed in it.
It's a pure numbers game until you get the girl on a date/serious about knowing you.

A lot of people says things through email that they would not say IRL.

It's generally a poor ROI for men. On paid sites, you spend hours writing up creative emails when 40% of the women you message are not even paid members. The free sites are loaded with immature girls who got bored with their facebooks. Finally, after messaging 7 girls, you get one girl to respond with a "sup".

It's hard to make things organic even once you do secure an in-person date. Move too slow and they'll forget about you, think you're too soft. Move too fast and you're at risk of just having a hastily scheduled, awkward coffee date or two. You have to walk a fine line between promptly pursuing a girl via messaging to a date while still making things feel as if an organic meeting and potential relationship is happening.

This also goes for a lot of guys, but a lot of girls on dating sites are just sampling, just testing the waters, looking for an internet pen pal, etc. You have to get good at weeding these ones out without wasting your time on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 12:48 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,352,261 times
As others have mentioned, it is a numbers game.
IMO, it's also all about ego. Many, but not all women on OLD sites will have an occasional man IRL (not on OLD) throw himself at her feet! She'll either friend-zone him, or ignore him completely; in the former, she'll claim "I value our friendship too much...to sleep with you!" Or some such lame truck.
Now, on the OLD sites - and I don't care which site it is - that same woman will have ten men messaging her, wanting to chat, take her out on a date, etc. Anyone can do the math and know the ratio of RL pickups vs. OLD pickups. It's an ego booster for a woman, any woman, to have a stampede of men chasing her. Wouldn't you think?

Old 05-09-2016, 03:24 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,449,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
It's an ego booster for a woman, any woman, to have a stampede of men chasing her. Wouldn't you think?
Uh, NO, there is nothing ego boosting about OLD.

A sample of my most recent messages before I deactivated my profile"

"sup"

"hry" (which I thought was misspelled "hey" but actually is text speak for "how are you?" which means people are too lazy to even write how are you?

"Nice *******"

"Let me *** in you."

And a variety of cut and paste messages from men who are over 100 miles away from me or in other countries.

So no, no there is nothing ego boosting about this. At all.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:28 PM

169 posts, read 111,726 times
Do not date single mothers. You will mostly likely regret it.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:39 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,456,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post

"sup"

"hry" (which I thought was misspelled "hey" but actually is text speak for "how are you?" which means people are too lazy to even write how are you?

"Nice *******"

"Let me *** in you."

And a variety of cut and paste messages from men who are over 100 miles away from me or in other countries.

One of the last messages I got before I deleted my profile was "nice big eyes." Okay, my eyes are rather squinty and he had larger eyes so I wasn't sure who's he was talking about.

My favorite though was the one on OKC that started with "Hello and thank you for reading my Craigslist ad." If you're going to cut and paste, at least edit the site!

Most of my messages came from 20-somethings in Morocco who wanted to know if I was ever going to come back and visit again.

When I deleted my account, my average profile views per week was down to 6 and the few messages I was getting - one every couple of weeks or so - were filtered to my "other" box because they were out of my age range (35-48), location (within 50 miles) or both. My best friend talked me into deleting it rather than disabling it because he could see what a toll it was taking on me to have had friends pick out pictures for me, help me with my narrative, going through the process of rotating my pictures, answer more questions, message 3-5 men a day, etc and get absolutely no where. I even had an objective, unbiased profile review from a member of this board.

I'm sure there are some that do get 20 messages a day; I think it took me about a month to get that many, including all the "hi how are you" messages and the "oh, she's not getting any action, let's throw her a fake message for encouragement" messages.

Yep, I was totally in it for the ego boost.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:11 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,449,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadmike View Post
Do not date single mothers. You will mostly likely regret it.
Why thank you for that nugget of wisdom.

Well, it's a nugget of something.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:02 AM

914 posts, read 739,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post

"sup"

"Nice *******"

"Let me *** in you."

LOL.

Last 3 messages I received:

Guy A: "Finding you really alluring and attractive. I work down South but am in your city each week with work - including this week. Looking for a hot friend to go out with and if we click have some sensual fun/exploration" (my profile clearly states that I'm looking for a relationship. Guy's profile picture is just his naked upper body sporting a beer belly)

Guy B: "Let's go on a date and get DRUNK"

Guy C: "Hi My Dear. How are you My Dear?"

What an ego boost (NOT)

Old 05-10-2016, 02:04 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,227,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain View Post
LOL.

Last 3 messages I received:

Guy A: "Finding you really alluring and attractive. I work down South but am in your city each week with work - including this week. Looking for a hot friend to go out with and if we click have some sensual fun/exploration" (my profile clearly states that I'm looking for a relationship. Guy's profile picture is just his naked upper body sporting a beer belly)

Guy B: "Let's go on a date and get DRUNK"

Guy C: "Hi My Dear. How are you My Dear?"

What an ego boost (NOT)
Oohhh who's wants to see a six pack when you can see a beer belly instead? Sign me up for that ego boost lol!

Old 05-10-2016, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I noticed this too...and definitely that guys would put their range up to their age (sometimes!) but never above it...but starting waaaaaaaaaaaay younger.

So for instance, a 40-year-old man giving his target range as "22-39." Or even "22-35." (Please note: this was definitely not ALL guys! But a really pretty significant number, from what I had noticed just browsing.)

I heard the same reasoning for putting that maximum age gap on POF. Either this type of restriction doesn't apply to all dating sites or it didn't apply yet back when I was dating. I never tried POF specifically, though.

I feel this sort of thing only encourages guys to lie about their ages, frankly. The 1980s high school yearbook photo is sometimes a giveaway.
On POF men can't message a woman more than 13 years younger than him. Apparently young women were complaining getting messages from men from 40 years old and up.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Guys have all types of negs in their profiles, just because you didn't find them doesn't mean they don't exist.

You going to call women liars because you spent 10 minutes to check a microcosm of the dating pool?

Most women wear make up. That's being deceptive. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships