Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 11:12 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotbloodedwoman View Post
Well we've talked about commitment. Can you also explain to me what real intimacy is? I feel like even though I love my husband, he doesn't let me "see him". I feel like he's opaque and I'm squinting to get a better understanding. Are some people just always going to be like that...keeping your at arms length? truly never letting you in?
Yes. Those are people I can't have relationships with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 11:16 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Well we've talked about commitment. Can you also explain to me what real intimacy is? I feel like even though I love my husband, he doesn't let me "see him". I feel like he's opaque and I'm squinting to get a better understanding. Are some people just always going to be like that...keeping your at arms length? truly never letting you in?
Some people are not wired to be that way. You can't force people to be like you and they are not doing it on purpose. There is nothing wrong with people like that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-03-2016, 11:26 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
This is me. I have been hurt in the past and I keep up the tough gir image so no one sees me hurting inside. I never let people into my emotions. Most people think I am
Just happy and fine all the time, because that is all They see.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:31 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Quote:
Can you also explain to me what real intimacy is?
There is no such thing.

There is no objective standard by which "intimacy" is measured, so therefore there is no such thing as "real intimacy".

Quote:

I feel like even though I love my husband, he doesn't let me "see him". I feel like he's opaque and I'm squinting to get a better understanding. Are some people just always going to be like that...keeping your at arms length? truly never letting you in?
Have you thought that this might be a compatibility issue between the two of you? That is, that it is something that is not just his issue?

I'm not the most open person in the world, by far. However, with the right person for me, I can open myself up quite a bit. How open I am with someone depends upon how compatible we are.

Perhaps you and your husband have just gotten to the point where you can no longer try to fit the square peg into the round hole?

Old 06-03-2016, 12:28 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Quote:

Intimacy is letting yourself be open and vulnerable to another person.

"There can be no intimacy—emotional intimacy, spiritual intimacy, physical intimacy—without vulnerability. One of the reasons there is such an intimacy deficit today is because we don’t know how to be vulnerable. It’s about being honest with how we feel, about our fears, about what we need, and, asking for what we need. Vulnerability is a glue that holds intimate relationships together." - Brene Brown

Old 06-04-2016, 03:03 AM

458 posts, read 329,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Intimacy is letting yourself be open and vulnerable to another person.

"There can be no intimacy—emotional intimacy, spiritual intimacy, physical intimacy—without vulnerability. One of the reasons there is such an intimacy deficit today is because we don’t know how to be vulnerable. It’s about being honest with how we feel, about our fears, about what we need, and, asking for what we need. Vulnerability is a glue that holds intimate relationships together." - Brene Brown
I love Brene' Brown!!! Thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships