Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 04:36 PM

458 posts, read 329,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So if he is a "functioning alcoholic" why are you reinforcing his drinking by drinking WITH him and having sex? Is his drinking okay with you as long as you get something out of it? Maybe you need to figure out what it is that you really want.

BTW, making one counseling appointment is hardly progress - not until he has KEPT that appointment and a good number more, as well as exhibited new behaviors can you say he has made real progress.
Neither one of us are alcoholics. I've never said that he had a drinking problem. We drink sometimes...recreationally, but its never been an issue.

I agree with you on the counseling appointment though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 04:45 PM

833 posts, read 657,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotbloodedwoman View Post

Did I mess up?
Only if the act of sleeping with your husband led you two to holding hands and then dancing afterwards.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:19 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
It happens. It's easy to forget for an hour (or seven or eight minutes, or whatever) all the many things that drove you crazy, and drove you apart. DH was acting fabulous and you had temporary amnesia about the state of your marriage and you both went for it.

There's also the "Is this REALLY over?" factor.

If it was a one-and-done and you're sure of that, make sure he knows it too, and isn't thinking this means the two of you will get back together.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:13 PM

458 posts, read 329,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
It happens. It's easy to forget for an hour (or seven or eight minutes, or whatever) all the many things that drove you crazy, and drove you apart. DH was acting fabulous and you had temporary amnesia about the state of your marriage and you both went for it.

There's also the "Is this REALLY over?" factor.

If it was a one-and-done and you're sure of that, make sure he knows it too, and isn't thinking this means the two of you will get back together.
Honestly, I don't think I will really know that until I move out. I can't see anything clearly right now. I know that I love him and I wish more than anything our marriage could/work, but he hasn't taken me seriously. I feel like the only thing left to do is leave. If I look at the facts

1. Initial condition to work on the marriage was if he set up counseling for us (he didn't)
2. I set up counseling (he didn't go)
3. Sex stopped
4. He took $8000 out of the account and moved it to his without telling me (He claims he though I was going to spend it, he did end up paying bills with it though)
5. He stopped sleeping in the bed with me by choice
6. He made other appointments instead of counseling
------------------------------------------------------------------
Now...he claims he loves me and he has made a counseling appointment to help him with his commitment issues and we had a great day yesterday and had sex. He thinks because of that he can work on changing my mind with his charm and giving nature. As much as I want to believe him, I have to look at the facts. That's what I told him.

He just looked so sad when I told him that. It kinda broke my heart a little. He said what am I going to do without you? I really felt for him, but the only thing I said was...you should've took me seriously.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:20 PM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
You want a good country song refrain?

How about:

He didn't mean to hurt me, so he broke my heart instead.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:34 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
The cause of, and solution to, most of life's problems
These beers taste like Ill be sleeping with you later

@anyrate...OP, after reading several of your response, I have a feeling that ending your marriage is going to be really really difficult for you both. Its always a bad idea to have 'one for the road' sex when trying to separate.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:53 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Neither one of us are alcoholics. I've never said that he had a drinking problem. We drink sometimes...recreationally, but its never been an issue.

I agree with you on the counseling appointment though
So sorry - I was confusing your post with someone else's. But yes, if you are trying to detach from someone then drinking is not a great way to do that. If you're just messing around, casting about for any reason to stay then keep going - this will prolong the agony.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:04 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Quote:
Honestly, I don't think I will really know that until I move out. I can't see anything clearly right now. I know that I love him and I wish more than anything our marriage could/work, but he hasn't taken me seriously. I feel like the only thing left to do is leave. If I look at the facts

1. Initial condition to work on the marriage was if he set up counseling for us (he didn't)
2. I set up counseling (he didn't go)
3. Sex stopped
4. He took $8000 out of the account and moved it to his without telling me (He claims he though I was going to spend it, he did end up paying bills with it though)
5. He stopped sleeping in the bed with me by choice
6. He made other appointments instead of counseling
------------------------------------------------------------------
Now...he claims he loves me and he has made a counseling appointment to help him with his commitment issues and we had a great day yesterday and had sex. He thinks because of that he can work on changing my mind with his charm and giving nature. As much as I want to believe him, I have to look at the facts. That's what I told him.

He just looked so sad when I told him that. It kinda broke my heart a little. He said what am I going to do without you? I really felt for him, but the only thing I said was...you should've took me seriously.

That first step is the hardest. Move out, but count on him finding out where you live and him stopping by. Just dont drink with him anymore. It does kind of smooth out the bumps on the rocky road of marriage. Feelings change though when one of you see the other one out with some one else. Then even the beer wont heal those hurt feelings.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:37 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,732 times
A great book named "Uncoupling" was written by Diane Vaughn in 1990. It still applies today and to this circumstance. I would get it, in the library, through a bookseller, or wherever you can find it. It remains a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/Uncoupling-Tur...=1&*entries*=0

Keep straight to your plan and begin to create a life outside the marriage now. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships