Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 11:23 AM

12 posts, read 3,941 times

Advertisements

My name is Tim. I just got out of college for the summer. This past year, there has been a girl (Ann is her name) that's been talking to me and complimenting me frequently. About a month into the year, I got into the classroom, sat down, and was playing with my phone. I heard a voice ask, "how are you so witty?". It was Ann. I thought to myself, "what? Is she talking to me?". I had been making little jokes and quips in class, and I'd hear her laughing off to the side, so it started to make sense in my head that yes, she was talking to me. I turned towards her, and she said, "like seriously, you make me laugh every day".

So throughout the rest of the year, she was quite often talking to me and saying things like:

"Tim, you're funny"

"Tim, I love being in class with you, you're so funny”

"Tim. how are you so witty?

"Hey Tim, you look really nice"

One time in class, I had to do a presentation in front of the room. I don‘t really take things like that seriously. so I just tried to make it real light and humorous. Two days later (I had forgotten about it by this point), Ann told me, "Hey Tim, I really liked your presentation the other day". I thought it was really interesting that she thought enough to tell me that. I realize the possibility that it could've just been a good presentation, but who knows...

One time, I had said something funny that the entire class heard. A female student was walking by Ann's desk while I said this, and afterwards, I heard her say, "freakin Tim....". I then heard Ann say, "he's so witty...it's the best thing ever"

Whenever I'd pass by her in the halls, she'd usually say hi to me, every time without me saying it first, and a couple of times without us even making eye contact (I'd happen to be looking a different direction from her).

Speaking of eye contact, there was one instance where I got in class, sat down at my desk, and she said to me, "so how are you doing, Tim?". I wish I would've come up with something cooler to say, but I was caught off guard, so I just said, "great... and you?". She then said, "good...". We held each other's gaze for a little while, but I broke kind of quicker than I wanted to; prolonged eye contact has always made me uncomfortable, and that really hurt me in that case. I wish I could've stared back at her forever.

Sometimes she'd say hello to me when I'd walk in the room, and sometimes even long after we'd both been in the room. One time we had a nice little playful conversation where she asked me, "so are you ready for the weekend, Tim?". I replied, "of course, Ann". She then said jokingly, "what, you don't like hanging out with me?". I played back, "well Ann, on a scale of 1 to 2, I give you a solid 1. She giggled and said, "ok, I see how it is".

There were times when I'd be talking to a male friend nearby, and she'd eavesdrop on the conversation. Sometimes she'd laugh at something I said, other times she'd comment. For example, one time when I walked into class, Ann told me, "you look nice, Tim", referring to my attire that particular day. When the professor's lecture was over and class was about to end, I was talking with my male friend, and when there was a point of silence in the conversation, Ann asked me, "so is there a reason you're dressed like that?". I said back to her, "this is kind of an everyday thing, Ann" (it was). She then said, "I mean, I've seen your vests and stuff....but yeah....you look really nice". I thanked her, and went back to talking to my friend. I asked him if he was going to the school dance the next day. Ann (still listening to the convo) then asked me if I was going. I told her I'd be out of town, as I was traveling to go to the Pro Bowl that weekend. Funnily enough, she remembered that the next week, and asked me how it was and if I had fun.

My favorite little story (the one that gives me the most confidence) went down like this: there were about 8 of us in the classroom. The professor was out sick, but we still had to come to class. We all were just playing around with our phones, very silent. About halfway in, Ann broke the silence and asked all of us as a group if we were going to prom. Everyone answered at once, except for me; don't really have a reason as to why, maybe I just subconsciously wanted to see if she'd notice. Indeed, she did. She then asked, "Tim?", waiting for my response. I just said "no", and she was like "wha....?" (not overly dramatic) like she couldn't believe it and/or thought I was missing out on something. The room started to get silent again after that. As the seconds ticked on, I thought to myself, "you idiot, you should've jokingly asked her to prom, just to see what her reaction would've been". Five or so minutes went by, and she said to me, "that's a nice color you have on, Tim". She was referring to my aqua blue dress shirt. I said to her, "thanks Ann.....you know...I would say the same to you, but you know you look good no matter what you wear". I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but the way the room reacted, you'd have thought I said the most Casanova-esque thing ever. I kinda blacked out in that moment, but I do recall hearing the words, "smooth", "suave", and "got game". I don't immediately recall Ann's reaction, but I think it was pretty in line with the shocked laughter of the rest of the group. Interestingly, the room wasn't quiet anymore after that; Ann became really talkative. I thought there was something telling about that. I know that when I'm super happy about something that just happened, I get really talkative as well. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but who knows...

So anyway, I hope all these stories were coherent and not extremely boring. I just wanted to paint a full picture so you could make an informed evaluation when I ask you this question: do you think she was into me? Do you think all these little occurrences come together to mean that she too had a crush on me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 11:30 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Welcome to the forum Tim

Sounds good mate

Of course there is a way to find out for certain.......

Old 06-11-2016, 11:43 AM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Over a year you've observed these things and you never thought to do the most basic and most simple of things to determine if a girl is really interested in you, ask her out on a date or the like?

Good things come only to those who dare to take risks.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:48 AM

109 posts, read 65,389 times
Tim, from your descriptions, I'd say she's definitely into you, man.

First of all, has she ever mentioned a boyfriend or have you seen her with another guy constantly?

If not, then good.

Let me make this really simple for you. Ask her to go and hang out with you somewhere (not too busy coffee shop, out of the way in a park, etc.) where you can have some basic privacy and away from the usual crowd of people you are in with her. Somewhere at least a little intimate. And then get to know her better. Good things will happen

Oh and if you want to be a little more direct in showing your interest, you can ask her if she's single.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MergerArbitrage View Post
Tim, from your descriptions, I'd say she's definitely into you, man.

First of all, has she ever mentioned a boyfriend or have you seen her with another guy constantly?

If not, then good.

Let me make this really simple for you. Ask her to go and hang out with you somewhere (not too busy coffee shop, out of the way in a park, etc.) where you can have some basic privacy and away from the usual crowd of people you are in with her. Somewhere at least a little intimate. And then get to know her better. Good things will happen

Oh and if you want to be a little more direct in showing your interest, you can ask her if she's single.
As far as I know, she's in a long-distance relationship, so that's why I haven't tried anything. I know where she works, so maybe I'll pay a visit in the near future and see what happens

Old 06-11-2016, 12:10 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormeaglex1 View Post
As far as I know, she's in a long-distance relationship, so that's why I haven't tried anything. I know where she works, so maybe I'll pay a visit in the near future and see what happens
Well, the fact that she's in an LDR isn't stopping you from basically asking us if you should ask her out.

If she IS in a relationship, please steer clear. Don't pay her a visit, don't try to get between her and her boyfriend. Don't look for little signs that she's into you, or anything like that. Focus on some other girl instead.

If she isn't in a relationship, then ask her out.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, the fact that she's in an LDR isn't stopping you from basically asking us if you should ask her out.

If she IS in a relationship, please steer clear. Don't pay her a visit, don't try to get between her and her boyfriend. Don't look for little signs that she's into you, or anything like that. Focus on some other girl instead.

If she isn't in a relationship, then ask her out.
Well the thing is, if she is into me, that's really enough for me to feel good; I wouldn't need to ask her out, I would be completely fine with the confidence boost from knowing that an attractive girl is in some way interested in me. I'd never try and step on her boyfriend's toes.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:21 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormeaglex1 View Post
Well the thing is, if she is into me, that's really enough for me to feel good; I wouldn't need to ask her out, I would be completely fine with the confidence boost from knowing that an attractive girl is in some way interested in me. I'd never try and step on her boyfriend's toes.
Of course it's a great feeling when a fit bird is interested or finds you attractive but if she's into you and with a boyfriend that's not wise mate

It's exciting I know the thought but it would cause unnecessary drama even if you don't ask her out

Old 06-11-2016, 12:21 PM

109 posts, read 65,389 times
If she's in a relationship, long distance or not, she's off the market, if you ask me.

I take it you guys are pretty young?

If I were you, I'd stay friends with her and keep yourself updated on how that long-distance thing works out. You'll probably know pretty quick if she breaks it off

Old 06-11-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Of course it's a great feeling when a fit bird is interested or finds you attractive but if she's into you and with a boyfriend that's not wise mate

It's exciting I know the thought but it would cause unnecessary drama even if you don't ask her out
I definitely understand. It's just...you know....I could use the confidence boost from knowing that she likes me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships