Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 08:10 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Like maybe theirs something mentally off with them that other people don't like or they chose to not make the most of their lives.

If a person is over 40 years old and has no kids could it be said that something's wrong with them?
What?? Why?! Especially if they're single, it means they've had their act together. And how would you know whether they made the most of their lives or not? Why would that be defined as having kids? That sounds awfully limiting, if you ask me. There are plenty of child-free individuals and couples out there who are over 40 and have had fascinating careers that took them to unusual parts of the world where they were able to make a real contribution to humanity. Some have had several careers, in some cases--concurrent ones, that others can only dream about. Are you meaning to tell us that people like that are somehow deficient compared to the average ho-hum person who endured a job s/he hated, living a life of quiet desperation while raising a kid? You have odd and all too narrow values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 08:27 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What?? Why?! Especially if they're single, it means they've had their act together. And how would you know whether they made the most of their lives or not? Why would that be defined as having kids? That sounds awfully limiting, if you ask me. There are plenty of child-free individuals and couples out there who are over 40 and have had fascinating careers that took them to unusual parts of the world where they were able to make a real contribution to humanity. Some have had several careers, in some cases--concurrent ones, that others can only dream about. Are you meaning to tell us that people like that are somehow deficient compared to the average ho-hum person who endured a job s/he hated, living a life of quiet desperation while raising a kid? You have odd and all too narrow values.
Well put, well said!

Old 06-13-2016, 09:58 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
I know many moms who had their first child after age 40. I have met moms who adopted their child after are 40. Older parents generally make great parents IMO. Do I judge child- free people over 40 negatively? Of course not. Many people should not be parents but are breeders, not parents. Children are not accessories. Thankfully some people decide to not have kids and I respect that decision.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Not having kids by forty (or any other age) isn't always something a person has chosen, and it is poor form to assume that it's the result of conscious choice. Maybe it is, maybe it's not.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:12 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,763 times
Seriously, what kind of planet are we on where someone who not only managed to not get pregnant/get someone pregnant with whom the relationship clearly didn't work out, but also managed to avoid marrying one or more of the wrong person ending up divorced and those are the ones that get judged for allegedly having something wrong with them? Really? So being married multiple times to the wrong people and/or having one or more baby daddies/mommies is the normal thing? Yea ok. That makes sense.

Anyway that's my response to the questions I get being over 40 and never married with (thankfully) no kids. I much prefer pets over kids. So much less expensive and way more loyalty and gratitude from pets than from what I've seen in kids.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:15 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,089 times
No. I don't think less of people over 40with no children. I do think less however, of people who judge others, especially in situations that are none of their business!

Old 06-13-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not having kids by forty (or any other age) isn't always something a person has chosen, and it is poor form to assume that it's the result of conscious choice. Maybe it is, maybe it's not.
Not sure if this response is to my post but for most past 40, it's a choice, as there is always adoption and many kids in foster care so if someone is child-free in their 40's I assume most made the decisions to NOT adopt. I am sure there are exceptions. Of course, I don't really care or judge people anyways so that was the question by the OP. Also, I can't tell how old people are by looking at them so there's that, as well.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:45 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Not sure if this response is to my post but for most past 40, it's a choice, as there is always adoption and many kids in foster care so if someone is child-free in their 40's I assume most made the decisions to NOT adopt. I am sure there are exceptions. Of course, I don't really care or judge people anyways so that was the question by the OP. Also, I can't tell how old people are by looking at them so there's that, as well.
Do they allow singles to adopt? Or are you assuming that anyone over 40 is partnered up and would have someone to help support and raise the kids? Raising a child alone is extremely challenging and not something every single can afford. And being single after 40 is not always a choice.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Do they allow singles to adopt? Or are you assuming that anyone over 40 is partnered up and would have someone to help support and raise the kids? Raising a child alone is extremely challenging and not something every single can afford. And being single after 40 is not always a choice.
I think I wrote that there are exceptions.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:54 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
DH and I are retired with no children because we never wanted any. Period, end of story. If other people want to judge us and think less of us because of that, then they're the ones who have issues, not us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships