Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 12:51 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,831,335 times

Advertisements

The past two years have been quite the experience. I finally accepted that I am bisexual/gay (sometimes not sure as I am sorting it out) and in the past weeks have come out to my friends and family. Sometimes it's scary and sometimes it feels amazing. But what is amazing, I am finally being true and honest to myself. I almost feel like a new person, and in a way, a better person.

I am pretty much considered "straight acting", was a jock in high school and college. When I came out to all of my friends last week, all of them were actually shocked and had not idea. Heck, I was shocked that they were shocked! Part of my battle is that I am not a big fan of "gay culture" and I never fit into the LGBT community, and fit more into the "straight world". So I feared not fitting into the one that I naturally belonged to and being shunned from the one that I feel most comfortable in.

For a time I even (some might remember when I posted a thread on it) had a friend, where we met on a gay app and never did anything, who is closeted and married with kids. He cheats on his wife with men, she knows, and they are miserable a good chunk of the time. I thought I loved him, but I realized it wasn't him, but that I was in love with the idea that there was someone that I could relate to in that situation sans the married and kids part. He would always say, "I just want to have friends where we are all closeted and we hang out and no ones our secrets." I then would look at his whole situation from afar, and would say "What's the point?" There were no winners in that situation, not him, not his wife, not his kids. And I didn't want to be that. Last summer I actually was ready to come out, but then it was also discovered that my stepmom was a lesbian and she had been cheating. My dad and her had to go through a rough divorce. It made me realize even more that denying that part of me, didn't do anyone any good. And again I thought to myself, what's the point of hiding? If we were in Saudi Arabia I could understand, but most people here don't care anymore.

So looking at my friend's situation, and then my stepmom's it made me realize I don't want to be like that. I want to be me. That if I date a woman from the beginning I let her know about my sexuality, and if it's something she is not comfortable with, it's a bummer that I would lose her, but at least I am being honest with her. The experience of coming out has been a great one. Not caring, hiding, or being anxious of what others think. To be completely and absolutely free, this is something I have never felt before.

For others going through a similar situation I know it's not easy, and sometimes friends and family are not as supportive. But it's worth it. You will truly find yourself and the ability to live so free. Actually it's nice to know what it FINALLY feels like to be truly free.

Last edited by UrbanCheetah; 07-18-2016 at 01:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 01:41 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,978,333 times
See a therapist.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:41 PM

I started this thread too, to share with people my story, and would love to hear from others who have similar experiences. Doesn't have to be a gay/bi story, maybe you were denying someone because your family was racist, or something like that.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
See a therapist.
Thanks, no need for it anymore. I went to one last year. But thanks for the advice.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:53 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,211,792 times
My son looks as straight as straight can be. He announced that he was bi the other day. I was like, yah? So? Be whatever you are. My daughter asked me what I would think (very hedgy) IF she were lesbian. I said I would not THINK anything. I would love you forever and nothing you could BE could ever make me stop liking you.

I am not going to add to any stress by rejecting them! They are my children!

Old 07-18-2016, 01:59 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,136,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
The past two years have been quite the experience. I finally accepted that I am bisexual/gay (sometimes not sure as I am sorting it out) and in the past weeks have come out to my friends and family. Sometimes it's scary and sometimes it feels amazing. But what is amazing, I am finally being true and honest to myself. I almost feel like a new person, and in a way, a better person.

I am pretty much considered "straight acting", was a jock in high school and college. When I came out to all of my friends last week, all of them were actually shocked and had not idea. Heck, I was shocked that they were shocked! Part of my battle is that I am not a big fan of "gay culture" and I never fit into the LGBT community, and fit more into the "straight world". So I feared not fitting into the one that I naturally belonged to and being shunned from the one that I feel most comfortable in.

For a time I even (some might remember when I posted a thread on it) had a friend, where we met on a gay app and never did anything, who is closeted and married with kids. He cheats on his wife with men, she knows, and they are miserable a good chunk of the time. I thought I loved him, but I realized it wasn't him, but that I was in love with the idea that there was someone that I could relate to in that situation sans the married and kids part. He would always say, "I just want to have friends where we are all closeted and we hang out and no ones our secrets." I then would look at his whole situation from afar, and would say "What's the point?" There were no winners in that situation, not him, not his wife, not his kids. And I didn't want to be that. Last summer I actually was ready to come out, but then it was also discovered that my stepmom was a lesbian and she had been cheating. My dad and her had to go through a rough divorce. It made me realize even more that denying that part of me, didn't do anyone any good. And again I thought to myself, what's the point of hiding? If we were in Saudi Arabia I could understand, but most people here don't care anymore.

So looking at my friend's situation, and then my stepmom's it made me realize I don't want to be like that. I want to be me. That if I date a woman from the beginning I let her know about my sexuality, and if it's something she is not comfortable with, it's a bummer that I would lose her, but at least I am being honest with her. The experience of coming out has been a great one. Not caring, hiding, or being anxious of what others think. To be completely and absolutely free, this is something I have never felt before.

For others going through a similar situation I know it's not easy, and sometimes friends and family are not as supportive. But it's worth it. You will truly find yourself and the ability to live so free. Actually it's nice to know what it FINALLY feels like to be truly free.
good for you!
No one should live a life, pretending they are something they are not.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:02 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,553,269 times
If you feel happy then I'm sure everyone else will be for ya

Old 07-18-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
My son looks as straight as straight can be. He announced that he was bi the other day. I was like, yah? So? Be whatever you are. My daughter asked me what I would think (very hedgy) IF she were lesbian. I said I would not THINK anything. I would love you forever and nothing you could BE could ever make me stop liking you.

I am not going to add to any stress by rejecting them! They are my children!
That's great, and I am sure that helped him feel so much better about his decision. This week I am telling my parents, and that will be a wrap in regards to people I am closest too.

My mom, I know she will be much like you and supportive. My dad it's a funky situation. My father was married to my stepmother for 12 years and they have a daughter. Last summer, my dad had suspected that my stepmom was cheating on him. He then discovered that she was, and with a woman. The divorce was very rough for him, so throughout that time, he actually held some animosity towards the LGBT community. He was always accepting of the community before but this incident made it personal for him. So he has struggled with it, but if anything positive came out of this, he began to understand my stepmom more and sexuality. He began to read books LGBT matters, which even though it delayed my coming out to almost a year, I feel it gave him the better knowledge and preparation to deal with my outing.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
good for you!
No one should live a life, pretending they are something they are not.
Thank you! Yes I have realized it it's not worth it. Be who you are.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
If you feel happy then I'm sure everyone else will be for ya
Yes, and thank you! I think it also makes one feel better, that all these people they love and care for you unconditionally. It reaffirms that they are special people you want to have in your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships