Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 08:51 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,662,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
He can only be leaving out (omitting) information if he is asked for information.
Do you really believe that? That's pretty sketchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 08:51 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,030,401 times
Quote:
This isn't a modern thing, this was the situation when I was dating in the late 80s and 90s as well. Exclusivity was never assumed, it was always explicitly discussed, or it did not exist.
Correction- this was your situation. Your experiences are not universal.

Be that as it may- He's going to bang the other chick at the end of next month. What's he going to say to the second gal? According to you, he just shouldn't say anything unless she explicitly asks, correct? She should just assume that he's sleeping around, as that apparently is the convenient "default" unless expressly stated otherwise?

Old 07-21-2016, 08:52 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,264,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I honestly think it is best to keep them both in the dark until this vacation is over.
Perhaps it was the way he put this that it sure does make it seem as if he has no intention of letting either one know.
Are you saying you WILL tell if asked?
And what have you said this trip is for? Any deceit involved?

Old 07-21-2016, 08:57 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,067,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Do you really believe that? That's pretty sketchy.
One can't omit something one is not asked for, or not obliged to share. It's rather impossible to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Correction- this was your situation. Your experiences are not universal.

Be that as it may- He's going to bang the other chick at the end of next month. What's he going to say to the second gal?

Say in response to what?

Quote:
According to you, he just shouldn't say anything unless she explicitly asks, correct?
Nope, not correct, you're not reading what I'm writing, obviously.

Quote:
She should just assume that he's sleeping around, as that apparently is the convenient "default" unless expressly stated otherwise?
The default is non-exclusivity until exclusivity is agreed upon. Of course. When one has a date with a person there is no assumption of exclusivity. So one starts with non exclusivity. For that status to change something needs to happen to change that status.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:00 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,367,949 times
There are some passionate responses on here.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:04 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,442,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Perhaps it was the way he put this that it sure does make it seem as if he has no intention of letting either one know.
Are you saying you WILL tell if asked?
And what have you said this trip is for? Any deceit involved?
Oh now! It's none of hot and heavy girl's business what he does - they aren't exclusive yet!

A lot of problems would be avoided if women were not so afraid of appearing "uncool" by explicitly asking about exclusivity. Women have been brainwashed to be passive for millennia, but most recently to not "have the talk" that used to be very common before doing the deed, or at least the morning after .

But if they don't ask, then guys like the OP will definitely not limit themselves. Sure, lots of guys would lie anyway but at least you'd be forcing the issue...of course, that's what many women wish to avoid so they don't appear to clingy, or possessive, or high-maintenance, or jealous...or whatever they've been convinced they might be.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:06 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,030,401 times
Quote:
The default is non-exclusivity until exclusivity is agreed upon. Of course. When one has a date with a person there is no assumption of exclusivity. So one starts with non exclusivity. For that status to change something needs to happen to change that status.
And, according to you, it happens with an explicit discussion- no more, no less.

I certainly hope that you don't assume that other people know that this is your default position.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:12 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,067,254 times
Quote:
And, according to you, it happens with an explicit discussion- no more, no less.

I certainly hope that you don't assume that other people know that this is your default position.
It has been the default with everyone I have dated over the last 25 years. I've never met anyone that believed differently.

But, I generally date intelligent, confident, adults that have explicit discussions about what they want and what their desires are so there aren't issues with this. Or there never have been. People know better than to assume things as it is quite rude and it creates problems, also, people know not to assume exclusivity because it is being quite possessive and not being respectful of another's individuality and independence. Any woman worth a lick would kick a guy to a curb if he assumed he has exclusive rights to her without discussing it with her. That's being a possessive, neanderthalic, disrespectful jerk, really. (Same goes for both genders).

I have no idea how else one could respectfully and without potential for a misunderstanding or taking someone for granted go from non-exclusive dating to exclusively dating. If one could explain how one would do so where there is not any assumption of exclusivity or taking a person for granted, I'd be curious to hear about it.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:21 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,297,428 times
I'm a guy who has been in an exclusive relationship for over a decade (half of it married). I say go for it. You have the rest of your life to be committed to one person. Have some fun now while you're young and unattached. I love my wife but I wish I'd had a little more fun before we were together. Live it up for the rest of us!

Old 07-21-2016, 09:24 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,359,830 times
Quote:
It has been the default with everyone I have dated over the last 25 years. I've never met anyone that believed differently.

But, I generally date intelligent, confident, adults that have explicit discussions about what they want and what their desires are so there aren't issues with this. Or there never have been. People know better than to assume things as it is quite rude and it creates problems, also, people know not to assume exclusivity because it is being quite possessive and not being respectful of another's individuality and independence. Any woman worth a lick would kick a guy to a curb if he assumed he has exclusive rights to her without discussing it with her. That's being a possessive, neanderthalic, disrespectful jerk, really. (Same goes for both genders).

I have no idea how else one could respectfully and without potential for a misunderstanding or taking someone for granted go from non-exclusive dating to exclusively dating. If one could explain how one would do so where there is not any assumption of exclusivity or taking a person for granted, I'd be curious to hear about it.
Since it hasn't been discussed you don't know that it's been the default, but my real comment is an admiring one. It must be tough to continually carry the mantle of hip urban professionals everywhere, who despite their numbers in your world don't seem to find their way here to offer you any support. Like ever. I guess they can't be bothered by the rabble, or perhaps they're too busy being fabulous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships