Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:14 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,525,858 times

Advertisements

I've been called a troll because I have disagreed with someone. It is a term slung around to discredit someone. Sort of like calling someone a bigot, when they aren't...but boy, it sure can damage.
I think some want a thread to flow with their personal slants on things, and it doesn't lead to good discussions or exploring anything if that is the case.
Just one thought on those who might post and then not respond to all the responses--maybe they wanted to see what people thought and had no response. Maybe they read the posts, and because they didn't keep the thread going, doesn't mean they didn't get anything from it.
All sorts of things. Forums are words on a page, and anyone can say or be anything they want here. I agree about keeping it honest, but that is pretty hard for anyone to ever enforce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 08:38 AM

672 posts, read 2,127,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I've been called a troll because I have disagreed with someone. It is a term slung around to discredit someone. Sort of like calling someone a bigot, when they aren't...but boy, it sure can damage.
I think some want a thread to flow with their personal slants on things, and it doesn't lead to good discussions or exploring anything if that is the case.
Just one thought on those who might post and then not respond to all the responses--maybe they wanted to see what people thought and had no response. Maybe they read the posts, and because they didn't keep the thread going, doesn't mean they didn't get anything from it.
All sorts of things. Forums are words on a page, and anyone can say or be anything they want here. I agree about keeping it honest, but that is pretty hard for anyone to ever enforce.

Well, I don't mean to sound anyway except hoe I truly feel. And I do disagree with your entire post here. Troll is not just a term slung around. It has real meaning and most certainly does apply to a certain few at times. And people who start threads and then never respond, are not to be looked upon with pity. If they get anything from it, can't they at least have the decency to thank the people who responded. If they don't get anything from it, can't they at least STILL thank the people who tried to help? And, if they are too busy to respond, they shouldn't start threads in the first place. THAT is how I feel about all this!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:22 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,216,220 times
Responding at least once to let people know that you read their posts would be the polite thing to do. I have been amazed at times reading pages of responses to one question and never seeing the original poster respond. Sometimes the thread takes on a life of it's own without the OP ever coming back!
Just curious, what do you all think about posters that post on a different thread every few minutes for hours at a time? I read someones post that interested me and so out of curiosity, looked up their previous posts. They were all over the place every five minutes or so until the wee hours of the morning. They are no longer a member now.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:35 AM

28,975 posts, read 30,351,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post

that happened to me once in another forum...and I won't go back...it makes you feel bad...and should be a lesson to both of us, if and when we are tempted to judge someone else according to our experiences, yanno? Well, at least for me anyway....

Old 02-21-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
Well, I don't mean to sound anyway except hoe I truly feel. And I do disagree with your entire post here. Troll is not just a term slung around. It has real meaning and most certainly does apply to a certain few at times. And people who start threads and then never respond, are not to be looked upon with pity. If they get anything from it, can't they at least have the decency to thank the people who responded. If they don't get anything from it, can't they at least STILL thank the people who tried to help? And, if they are too busy to respond, they shouldn't start threads in the first place. THAT is how I feel about all this!
Hi Dennis, all who know you, and are familiar with your posts know that you are as sincere as the day is long...well, somedays are long anyway?

Yanno, after reading some of these posts and the horrible experiences they've had, makes you wonder how people can be so mean?

But you, you are a light at the end of the tunnel
the cream in my coffee
the sun on a cloudy day
your the wispy willow
a nightengale in song

so, don't let the rain getcha down...

smile and be happy

hugs
creme

Old 02-21-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Responding at least once to let people know that you read their posts would be the polite thing to do. I have been amazed at times reading pages of responses to one question and never seeing the original poster respond. Sometimes the thread takes on a life of it's own without the OP ever coming back!
Just curious, what do you all think about posters that post on a different thread every few minutes for hours at a time? I read someones post that interested me and so out of curiosity, looked up their previous posts. They were all over the place every five minutes or so until the wee hours of the morning. They are no longer a member now.
Hey puffle,
well, while reading your post, you made me think of something...sometimes, I can be in here for a few days, and not be able to return for days on end...and sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night and can't sleep so I write poetry and/or come into city data? And, I enjoy posting on a lot of different threads...why? You say....well, I'll tell ya...I love the interaction, but even more, learning from others and how they feel. What does it matter, if they are all over the place...maybe they're in a wheel chair, or in some way, handicapped....I do know there are posters on the poetry page I post in, who are...and they are posting sometimes all hours of the night, and/or posting several different poems....it's their life...their way of communicating...I never look at the times...maybe some work nights and can't go to sleep when they come home? I dunno...but, I don't, no, let me refrase that, I won't believe that all are trolls b/c they don't live and post within my schedule....and I don't believe that as many are trolls as what some may think...but when they are called trolls, we scare them away and hurt their feelings...like was done to me once....

funny, how suspicious people are...sad....and...and I'm thinking out loud here, not attacking you for your opinion...I guess what I'm trying to say is this....I know, I'm probably a lot like my mom, and live in this fantasy, little protective world of mine, but, I'd surely like to believe that there is so much more good out there, then bad people. And that trolls would in fact, be, those with warts on their noses who live under bridges....

Hugs
Creme

Old 02-21-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Hey puffle,
well, while reading your post, you made me think of something...sometimes, I can be in here for a few days, and not be able to return for days on end...and sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night and can't sleep so I write poetry and/or come into city data? And, I enjoy posting on a lot of different threads...why? You say....well, I'll tell ya...I love the interaction, but even more, learning from others and how they feel. What does it matter, if they are all over the place...maybe they're in a wheel chair, or in some way, handicapped....I do know there are posters on the poetry page I post in, who are...and they are posting sometimes all hours of the night, and/or posting several different poems....it's their life...their way of communicating...I never look at the times...maybe some work nights and can't go to sleep when they come home? I dunno...but, I don't, no, let me refrase that, I won't believe that all are trolls b/c they don't live and post within my schedule....and I don't believe that as many are trolls as what some may think...but when they are called trolls, we scare them away and hurt their feelings...like was done to me once....

funny, how suspicious people are...sad....and...and I'm thinking out loud here, not attacking you for your opinion...I guess what I'm trying to say is this....I know, I'm probably a lot like my mom, and live in this fantasy, little protective world of mine, but, I'd surely like to believe that there is so much more good out there, then bad people. And that trolls would in fact, be, those with warts on their noses who live under bridges....

Hugs
Creme
Creme, I just want to clarify that I do not consider people that post on several threads at once anything but people that post on several threads at once. I know this was a
"troll" topic but was not implying as such. I hate that word and find it rude and offensive. I was only referring to one poster long ago who was taken off CD. I appreciate the way you look at the world...don't stop.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Creme, I just want to clarify that I do not consider people that post on several threads at once anything but people that post on several threads at once. I know this was a
"troll" topic but was not implying as such. I hate that word and find it rude and offensive. I was only referring to one poster long ago who was taken off CD. I appreciate the way you look at the world...don't stop.

ahhhhhh, ok, now the light went on....well, next time you better be more clear missy...hehe...just kidding...thanks for the recap and for hitting me with a 2 x 4 ...ya never know with me, sometimes ya might even have to draw pictures....LOL

by the way, I love that name...puffle...

thanks so much
hugs
creme

Old 02-21-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
ahhhhhh, ok, now the light went on....well, next time you better be more clear missy...hehe...just kidding...thanks for the recap and for hitting me with a 2 x 4 ...ya never know with me, sometimes ya might even have to draw pictures....LOL

by the way, I love that name...puffle...

thanks so much
hugs
creme
No prob. Can see how the conclusion could be drawn. Now I have to order dessert somewhere?

Old 02-21-2008, 04:02 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,642,194 times
trolls?? You folks come across trolls in the forums Well I will say I see that term slung around quite a bit and often it does not really apply to the slingee...it is more like one member is in major disagreement with another on the hot topic of the moment That said when you do run into one of these trolls remember....don't feed em and they'll soon go away, one way or the other ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships