Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 01:58 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,340,692 times

Advertisements

[1.]No rendezvous, phone calls, text messaging, etc. until I meet the kid and his parents.
[2.]Dating is for mating. Don't date anyone that does not meet the qualifications for you marrying him.
[3.]Don't date any man who is not passionate for God. Those types of fellas will not be passionate for you.
[4.]Sex is for marriage. Period.
[5.]You need to be a who person. Live and love life as though you will be single all your life. The man for you will envelope you like a glove.
[6.]Remind him that his body will fit into the bed of my pickup.
[7.]The relationship that you have with any man will change. That includes the relationship you have with me. Evaluate the fella's potential as well as his current performance.
[8.]Find out what the guys dreams and visions are. Assess how hard he is working at fulfilling them.
[9.]I am the best judge of character you have in assessing a man. Ask me anything you want about any fella that you might even consider.
[10.]While you are a teenager, you don't date anyone more frequently than you date me.

Do you agree or disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 02:04 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,215,334 times
It sounds good on paper. In real life, things don't always work this way.

Still, I agree with teaching your children to demand the very best of themselves. No sense raising children with a defeatist attitude.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:05 PM

639 posts, read 829,438 times
number 10 is interesting...

Old 04-17-2012, 02:08 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,202,720 times
Probably the most asinine thing I've ever read.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:19 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,650,378 times
Threatening the boyfriend doesn't usually work. As upset as a lot of fathers get at the idea of their daughters dating a sleazebag, very few are actually willing to go to prison for murder over the issue, and in some of the few cases that make it to that stage, the daughter actually testifies against the father quite willingly, and then dad ends up at the mercy of much younger, stronger inmates with nobody to talk to during visiting hours.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:20 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,105,600 times

That was the beginning and end of our conversation. She will be 21 next month, it seems to have worked rather well.

By the way, when she left for college I decided that my role morphed from a regulatory role to one that was advisory. So I'm not sure of where you begin and end your advice. Some of it is appropriate for 13 year olds but the list gets smaller over time.

[5.]Live and love life as though you will be single all your life.

Definitely liked that one.

[7.]The relationship that you have with any man will change. That includes the relationship you have with me.

Another one I like.

[9.]I am the best judge of character you have in assessing a man. Ask me anything you want about any fella that you might even consider.

All dad's have delusions of grandeur.

[10.]While you are a teenager, you don't date anyone more frequently than you date me.

I like the idea, but it is kind of weird sounding rather creepy.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:37 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,689,104 times
My father called all my BF's George. When they would correct him, he'd say, doesn't matter, you won't be around that long.

He would always wait until we were walking out the door and say in a nice calm voice, "Remember George. You are leaving with my only daughter."

Old 04-17-2012, 02:38 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,369,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
[1.]No rendezvous, phone calls, text messaging, etc. until I meet the kid and his parents.
[2.]Dating is for mating. Don't date anyone that does not meet the qualifications for you marrying him.
[3.]Don't date any man who is not passionate for God. Those types of fellas will not be passionate for you.
[4.]Sex is for marriage. Period.
[5.]You need to be a who person. Live and love life as though you will be single all your life. The man for you will envelope you like a glove.
[7.]The relationship that you have with any man will change. That includes the relationship you have with me. Evaluate the fella's potential as well as his current performance.
[8.]Find out what the guys dreams and visions are. Assess how hard he is working at fulfilling them.

Do you agree or disagree?
Not only do I agree with every word, I suggest you teach a class to men, boys and the girls who will date them!

Old 04-17-2012, 02:40 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,310,772 times
FYI my Dad was over-protective...completely backfired. Word from the daughters prospective.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:41 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,369,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
My father called all my BF's George. When they would correct him, he'd say, doesn't matter, you won't be around that long.

He would always wait until we were walking out the door and say in a nice calm voice, "Remember George. You are leaving with my only daughter."
That is awesome! hahaha. And I suppose he was correct, yes? None of them lasted long?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships