Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:29 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

So I'm a zoosk (so shoot me )...I've had my profile up for about a year now but I never really go on the site much, send messages.etc anymore. It's not a fully free site (you need to subscribe to unlock all the features) but you can receive flirts and messages.

So the other day I got a flirt from a lady. Average looking, profile seemed reasonable enough, pretty real, if not highly original.

She sends me a message saying I like your profile, I'd like to find out about you, please e-mail me. Didn't mention my name or make any reference to my profile, so I wrote her off but thought what the hey.

Sent her an e-mail asking her some questions pertaining to her profile. For instance, what she did (she said she was 'self employed').

In her response she didn't even reply to my questions...just basically rehashed what she wrote in her profile and wrote a whole bunch of other stuff about wanting to meet up. Not personalised at all, so I assumed she'd sent the same message to many others.

So I ask her why she didn't answer my questions.

Then another weird response...this time she says, 'when I get back to the states...' wtf? It said she lived in Australia and she said she was Australian (maybe that's why she said that), so I assume she now lives in the US?

I asked her about it and haven't heard from her since.

It's no big deal, of course...I'm used to fake profiles, but I don't get the point of this one...I looked her up on fb - she's a real person. She's pretty average looking, far from great...fake profiles usually have a model looking type. Said she was after a serious relationship with a god-fearing man (appears quite conservative yet, weirdly enough, says she's a 'lingere model' which probably rings alarm bells).

I'm just wondering what the point of sending me the flirt in the first place was. Just to screw with me? And then all those nonsensical follow-up messages? Is she maybe just a bot or using some programme, or someone pretending to be her?

I've been getting a few 'flirts' lately and I think they're pretty much all fakes, bar a few. Some of the profiles are no longer there, I assumed deleted when they were found out by Zoosk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,105,447 times
It's really sad that there are fake profiles at all. Some people have nothing better to do I guess, but it screws things up for those of us who are really hoping to meet someone decent.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:58 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,855,875 times
Trimac, it almost sounds like some person just messing around for fun.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:14 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,520,777 times
It's not uncommon to get flirts and messages like that, when you are using it for free. They do this to motivate you to start using the pay features. I don't know about Zoosk, but most sites only give you a limited amount of emails you can read per day or so when you are a free member. So the more emails these fakes send you, they will hope that you will be so curious to see what who emailed you, that you will pay the fees.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,131,970 times
Welcome to the real world of online dating. I'm at the point that a quick look and I am able to tell if its real or fake. Here are a few things to look for

poorly written sentences and grammar (doesn't sound like everyday English here)
if there is a picture - compare the hair or lack of it to their profile info
want your private email address or phone number right away
if chat is available on the website and the person will not respond to instant chat
anyone that says they are out of the country now but will return

Good Luck !!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:54 AM

639 posts, read 828,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
So I'm a zoosk (so shoot me )...I've had my profile up for about a year now but I never really go on the site much, send messages.etc anymore. It's not a fully free site (you need to subscribe to unlock all the features) but you can receive flirts and messages.

So the other day I got a flirt from a lady. Average looking, profile seemed reasonable enough, pretty real, if not highly original.

She sends me a message saying I like your profile, I'd like to find out about you, please e-mail me. Didn't mention my name or make any reference to my profile, so I wrote her off but thought what the hey.

Sent her an e-mail asking her some questions pertaining to her profile. For instance, what she did (she said she was 'self employed').

In her response she didn't even reply to my questions...just basically rehashed what she wrote in her profile and wrote a whole bunch of other stuff about wanting to meet up. Not personalised at all, so I assumed she'd sent the same message to many others.

So I ask her why she didn't answer my questions.

Then another weird response...this time she says, 'when I get back to the states...' wtf? It said she lived in Australia and she said she was Australian (maybe that's why she said that), so I assume she now lives in the US?

I asked her about it and haven't heard from her since.

It's no big deal, of course...I'm used to fake profiles, but I don't get the point of this one...I looked her up on fb - she's a real person. She's pretty average looking, far from great...fake profiles usually have a model looking type. Said she was after a serious relationship with a god-fearing man (appears quite conservative yet, weirdly enough, says she's a 'lingere model' which probably rings alarm bells).

I'm just wondering what the point of sending me the flirt in the first place was. Just to screw with me? And then all those nonsensical follow-up messages? Is she maybe just a bot or using some programme, or someone pretending to be her?

I've been getting a few 'flirts' lately and I think they're pretty much all fakes, bar a few. Some of the profiles are no longer there, I assumed deleted when they were found out by Zoosk.
aww, even Oz has this dating BS now???. I thought you were all Crododile Dundees grabbing the Sheilas at will

Old 05-03-2012, 09:57 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
I found sifting through the clutter in online dating to be extremely frustrating! This is just one of the reasons.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,018,750 times
The internet is loaded with fakes. Deal with it or meet women the old fashioned way before the net was invented.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:44 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,848,200 times
I think most of those internet dating sites are filled with 99% fakes and the ones that aren't fake are 99% guys as well... they put in a lot of fake girls in the hopes you will spend money... I did it once for kicks but that was a long time ago...

Old 05-03-2012, 10:08 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,467,908 times
Some of my favorite threads of all times on the interwebz are dating site troll threads. If somebody is trolling, share please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships