Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 04:27 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I don't know...

Anyways, I am very much "pro therapy" because I have dealt with others with varying capacities of mental health issues throughout my life. I believe in taking care of one's health in every aspect, whether it be mentally, spiritually, emotionally, physically, etc.

With that said, I am not unfamiliar with therapy; I have seen 3 different therapists over the past 8 years (all have been good in their own rights; I have been forced to see different ones based on moving to different regions).

At the end of the day, I guess it's not the end of the world if I end up single for the duration of the remainder of my time here; it's not like I wouldn't be the first person that happened to.

I'm not sure I 100% cosign with everything you wrote though; I'm not the only female in my circle in my age range who hasn't had a committed long term relationshp in a very long time.
What did the therapists think about your problems with relationships?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 04:28 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
People don't just randomly choose to be jerks. Jerks usually started out that way as kids. Guess where that came from? Their parents maybe?
Are you a psychologist? A therapist? A psychiatrist?

Old 09-05-2016, 04:30 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,746,812 times
Quote:
What did the therapists think about your problems with relationships?
Oh Lord...you want me to post transcripts of my therapy sessions?? LOL

Old 09-05-2016, 04:32 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Quote:
No, just the general ideas. Since this is a concern of yours, it would be relevant to talk about what they thought. Has there been a consensus among them on why you are struggling in this area?

Old 09-05-2016, 04:58 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Quote:
I think you said earlier you weren't comfortable giving out personal details of your life, but indulged him with statements about your father. Don't reveal things you don't want to, you've already made the point about not picking losers, and you are correct, a relationship ends for many reasons. You just haven't been in a LTR for awhile. Like many people. No one should go to therapy just because a guy on the internet is making assumptions about their dating life.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:45 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
Quote:
No, just the general ideas. Since this is a concern of yours, it would be relevant to talk about what they thought. Has there been a consensus among them on why you are struggling in this area?
OP, don't indulge his desire to armchair analyze you.

You, JAG, seem to take perverse desire in getting anonymous women to confess their "daddy" issues to you. You should see a therapist about that.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:08 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,416 times
Quote:
Loneliness got the best of me. As I mentioned earlier I live in a city with very few friends here. Also I work a ton. I'm shy and stay in a lot these days. On top of all that, not having had companionship for over a decade makes for a really lonely life. Sometimes I'm ok with it, but other times it just gets rough. I mean, I can go well over a year at a time without ever being asked out by anyone.

Again...I understand there are more important issues in life than being single. It's just been hard for me lately.
That does sound lonely. Have you thought about pushing yourself out of your comfort zone a bit by getting out more? Learn something new, go new places? When was the last time you changed your style?

One year, when I was in my 40s, I decided to grow my hair out, wear more skirts/dresses paired with really femmy shoes, and to accept any and all (polite) invitations. I was asked out on more dates than ever in my whole life and my social life was reborn. I met my husband within a year. It was an epiphany for me to realize that how I was managing my "serene and quiet life" was hampering my social and romantic life.

Sometimes, it's good to mix things up and get out of our limiting routines.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:21 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Loneliness got the best of me. As I mentioned earlier I live in a city with very few friends here. Also I work a ton. I'm shy and stay in a lot these days. On top of all that, not having had companionship for over a decade makes for a really lonely life. Sometimes I'm ok with it, but other times it just gets rough. I mean, I can go well over a year at a time without ever being asked out by anyone.

Again...I understand there are more important issues in life than being single. It's just been hard for me lately.

Maybe you can chat with people here to help a bit. We all need some kind of interaction and I get how you're feeling. I really do, hang in there. Just be careful to not make bad decisions out of loneliness.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:44 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
This is downright creepy behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships