Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 12:43 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times

Advertisements

If you were 17 or 18 and she was 12 years older, I could see people saying something. That's still not bad but you'd admit 17 would be a little young. But with you being 3 and she's 12 older I don't see a thing wrong with it. Go for it and congratulations!

A funny story on this subject, my wife is 6 years older. We chatted online and talked on the phone for 6 months before she'd agree to meet. She was raised by her grandmother who drilled in her head not to "get involved" with a younger man. Only be with one your age or older. My sweety said she realized Grandma wasn't going to send lightening down to strike her if she went out with me. Best 90 mile trip I ever made. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 01:11 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
People only started marrying their peers with the advent of public schooling...Prior to that men always married woman who were at least 7 years their junior. To marry a woman the same age is a mistake...You see these couples aging and the guy always looks like he is with his mother.

My primary mate was 10 years younger....25 years and four kids later....My present partner is 20 years younger...and to be with a woman that was older....I am 66....I can not imagine myself with an old woman the same age....or older.

Imagine if me at 66 was with a woman that was 76....are you nuts...who would want that? Forget older woman...they will even in their younger years become like a dominant mother...

My 26 year old son is with an older woman...smart and educated...but I see no future for the poor guy...not a real fulfilling future....woman age quicker than men...and once they go menopausal you might as well be living with your sister.
You're free to feel that you couldn't be with a woman your age, but your contention that women age faster than men is just your contention. Some women will argue just as crudely that men age faster than women. Lets call it a draw, which means that you're not interested in being with someone as decrepit as you

Old 11-28-2016, 02:12 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Just ignore that scab faced punk at work and just do your thang. What you do in your private life is of no concern to her.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:19 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
People only started marrying their peers with the advent of public schooling...Prior to that men always married woman who were at least 7 years their junior. To marry a woman the same age is a mistake...You see these couples aging and the guy always looks like he is with his mother.

My primary mate was 10 years younger....25 years and four kids later....My present partner is 20 years younger...and to be with a woman that was older....I am 66....I can not imagine myself with an old woman the same age....or older.

Imagine if me at 66 was with a woman that was 76....are you nuts...who would want that? Forget older woman...they will even in their younger years become like a dominant mother...

My 26 year old son is with an older woman...smart and educated...but I see no future for the poor guy...not a real fulfilling future....woman age quicker than men...and once they go menopausal you might as well be living with your sister.
LOL!

You're funny.

Some younger people are set in their ways and difficult. Some older people are.

You really cannot base such a thing on age. Some women don't like sex. Some love it. Same with men... again, doesn't depend on age, really.

Can you make general assumptions about stuff like that? Sure... but, those are loose guidelines. They aren't rules.

How many marriages have failed where people were close in age? Plenty.

So, people should do whatever makes them happy and not worry about what other people think.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
You're free to feel that you couldn't be with a woman your age, but your contention that women age faster than men is just your contention. Some women will argue just as crudely that men age faster than women. Lets call it a draw, which means that you're not interested in being with someone as decrepit as you
I'm pretty sure a 66 yo woman and and 66 yo man are both indeed 66 years old.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:21 PM

OP, I'm in my late 40s and my husband is in his mid 30s. We've been together for 11 years now, and married for almost 7 of those years.

Do whatever you want.

Perhaps your coworker is jealous.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:39 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Other people opinions don't matter.

But if you ARE going to listen to other's opinions, why would you listen to the one negative (a mere co-worker), and not all the positives from friends and family?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-28-2016, 03:25 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragnox View Post
I am 30 and the woman I am getting married to is 42. We have been together three years and I really love her and have been very happy to be with her. I have dated women my age and nothing against them not at all as if they were bad just simply ended up not being compatible for the long term, I am not one that tries to view or say all women are like this or that.

We actually met at a concert and I got her number and we went on a few dates the rest is history lol. Most of my friends and family are fine with it we both have good jobs after we got engaged I moved into her house and haven't had hardly any issues living together at all. There is this woman at work though that is my age who has made a number of disparaging comments about it but I don't let it bother me. Do you think such a relationship is so wrong? She has said it's "gross" and said I am being selfish and just taking advantage of an older woman.
30 and 42 is likely to work better than it will when it's 40 and 52. Just sayin'. If she stays in shape aggressively, it could still be working 10 to 15 years down the road.

But when you are 50, she will be 62.

These May-September relationships in general work worse as time goes on. Like I said, "Just sayin'".

Old 11-28-2016, 03:27 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
30 and 42 is likely to work better than it will when it's 40 and 52. Just sayin'. If she stays in shape aggressively, it could still be working 10 to 15 years down the road.

These May-September relationships in general work worse as time goes on. Like I said, "Just sayin'".
"Just sayin' "- code for "I can't be held responsible for any baseless generalities that I have made in these statements".

Old 11-28-2016, 03:35 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

I agree with they get trickier as time goes on both financially and physically. I see it all the time with my 60-70 year old friends that have a big age difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships