Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 07:25 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,706,649 times

Advertisements

It was only wealthier men who had mistresses. Poor men didn't really have them as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 08:26 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,186,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rome2300 View Post
Is there really a problem with your husband having 1 if he still loved and provided for you and your family?
are you on crack? seriously

Old 12-14-2016, 08:41 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,036,702 times
Newsflash: Married men who have affairs aren't necessarily sleeping with single women. OP, are you okay with your partner having sex with other men if she still loves you?

Old 12-14-2016, 08:51 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,632,989 times
Ah the good ole days

Old 12-14-2016, 09:19 AM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
French culture is very accepting of infidelity,I think mistresses are generally more accepted there.mistress sounds so much more romantic and fixed,than home wrecker,adulteress,other woman etc.
This seems to be an inaccurate stereotype. The French women I know are not at all accepting of infidelity, nor are they interested in cheating on their husbands. They say that stereotype got started by French films that made fun of infidelity, and the rest of the world took it as the French norm, not as the joke it was meant to be.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:22 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,095,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This seems to be an inaccurate stereotype. The French women I know are not at all accepting of infidelity, nor are they interested in cheating on their husbands. They say that stereotype got started by French films that made fun of infidelity, and the rest of the world took it as the French norm, not as the joke it was meant to be.
Perhaps the majority still do find it unacceptable. The links I posted do indicate that the French are the most accepting relative to other countries...

This whole thing about "accepting mistresses" sounds like one step away from being in an open relationship...

Old 12-14-2016, 09:27 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Perhaps the majority still do find it unacceptable. The links I posted do indicate that the French are the most accepting relative to other countries...

This whole thing about "accepting mistresses" sounds like one step away from being in an open relationship...
I think in those cases it's "open" in that the wife pretends like it's not happening, and the husband keeps his dalliances from going public or affecting their relationship.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:28 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
First of all, why do you think wives were more accepting of infidelity in the 1950s?

I've been married 35 years and yep, I'd have a problem with him having a mistress. If he wants another woman, he can damn well hand over all the assets we worked so hard for together and start over after we divorce. No way in hell will he be spending our money on another woman. Hell hath no fury my friend
Except in Maryland, he gets half. He may even get more if the judge has a hatred of women.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:32 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Because what choice did they have? Divorce made you a pariah and you couldn't get a job where you could support yourself, and if your husband wanted to retaliate for you not allowing him to be like all his buddies who were also doing the secretary, he'd just get a bunch of friends to testify that you had cheated on HIM so he could sip out of child support and alimony, and then you AND your kids would starve.

Yay, the good old days.

The choices were: be accepting of whatever a man wanted to do to humiliate you in marriage, or starve and lose every friend you'd ever had.
This is exactly the reason.

Even today, women that are completely dependent on their man put up with a lot more crap. My ex specifically sought out a woman that he could fully control and dominate, because it was always a fight with us because I would not let him run our show.

I know a woman with three kids and she has no job/ career. She has dealt with her husband in and out of jail because he supports her. I would have made him grow up or get out.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:07 AM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Because what choice did they have? Divorce made you a pariah and you couldn't get a job where you could support yourself, and if your husband wanted to retaliate for you not allowing him to be like all his buddies who were also doing the secretary, he'd just get a bunch of friends to testify that you had cheated on HIM so he could sip out of child support and alimony, and then you AND your kids would starve.

Yay, the good old days.

The choices were: be accepting of whatever a man wanted to do to humiliate you in marriage, or starve and lose every friend you'd ever had.
Need I remind you that although chasing the secretary around the office was a popular image, the reason it was a chronic chase without end was that the sec'y did not appreciate inappropriate attention. But back then, "sexual harassment" had not been coined as a term and as a legit grievance, so women either had to put up with unwanted attention they constantly dodged, or they'd quit, and look for a job with a better boss. The 50's were far from some kind of office sexual free-for-all, Helen Gurley Brown's infamous recommendations to women to use their sex to get jobs and move up, notwithstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships