Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 08:33 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times

Advertisements

Who says they didn't have a side guy themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 08:34 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Who says they didn't have a side guy themselves?
They were just more discreet!

Old 12-13-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
They were just more discreet!
Exactly back then they didn't have paternity test. Why do you think the families were so huge?

That rich guy was paying for several children that weren't his.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Exactly back then they didn't have paternity test. Why do you think the families were so huge?

That rich guy was paying for several children that weren't his.
Milkman, mailman, meterman...

"I'm going to be a little late tonight, honey."

"ok...who is this?"

Old 12-13-2016, 08:57 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,971,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rome2300 View Post
Is there really a problem with your husband having 1 if he still loved and provided for you and your family?
Would you have a problem with your wife having a side guy... if she still loved and took care of you and the family? I am bettin.... NOT.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:57 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rome2300 View Post
Is there really a problem with your husband having 1 if he still loved and provided for you and your family?
Would you object to your wife having something going on the side with a boy-toy? If so, why?

They didn't accept mistresses in the 50's. You have to go a lot farther back than that, like to the Victorian era, when "good" women weren't supposed to enjoy sex, and many in fact didn't, in part because men back then were clueless about what women needed. Some women were clueless as to what they, themselves needed. So in SOME marriages, not as a general thing, wives were relieved not to have to provide that service for their men if they got it elsewhere. Things started to change sometime around the Roaring 20's, which was a rejection of Victorianism. By the 50's, women had come to expect more from their men than their mothers and grandmothers had, so infidelity was frowned upon.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:

"ok...who is this?"
Mayor,Sentator,Ceo,Executive director,.......

"I will buy a garden,where your flowers can grow,I can buy you a new life...."

Old 12-13-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Mayor,Sentator,Ceo,Executive director,.......

"I will buy a garden,where your flowers can grow,I can buy you a new life...."
PTA Dad, Doctor, kid's coach...

"They might think you're happy, Yeah maybe for a minute or two. They can't make you laugh, no they can't make you feel the way that I do..."

Old 12-13-2016, 09:19 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,729,878 times
Wow... the forum has gotten depressing. But sadly there is huge truth to this..... and for women still under the delusion marriage are a guaranteed forever situation that give up education and careers to have children and become unpaid domestic servants to their husband ..... the joke is on you. When he gets bored with you will be kicked to the curb and have to start a career all over again if you even have an education of worth or be in a shut up and take it situation until you can figure out a plan B.

One of the few things I think I have done right in life is be 100% economically independent of my husband... it gives be the power to without bluffing at any given time to remind him of where the door is and that I am choosing to stay married and don't need to be married. There is a certain level of relief in this reality. I choose to stay.... but I can always walk and will be okay.

I having multiple life accomplishments puts less pressure off one or two not working out perfectly lol ( this is the story I am telling myself today ).

On another note .... I think I will be trying to avoid this section of the forum for a bit before I get inspired to slit my wrists.

I would much rather talk about shoes or clothes .....way less complicated !

Old 12-13-2016, 09:22 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Quote:

"ok...who is this?"
Don't forget the poolboy.

Seriously, if you're getting your history from shows like Madmen, don't forget Betty Draper. She wasn't just sitting on her fainting couch wringing her hands over her husband's mistresses.

It's a fallacy that men had more mistresses back in the good old days. Certain men will be faithful to their partners and certain men will screw around. The era they live in has nothing to do with it. Women were not more accepting of their husbands' infidelity in the 1950s, they just had fewer choices than women today.

How many mistresses have you got in your rotation, OP? By the nature of your question I suspect you've not yet been married, so I'm going to venture a guess that you needn't concern yourself much with such issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships