Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 10:28 AM

264 posts, read 191,027 times

Advertisements

Yes I'm aware he didn't want me anymore,wasn't good enough for him etc etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 10:55 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyanne29 View Post
You cannot do a thing about him.

You can only fix what's wrong with YOU. You are asking the wrong questions, worried about the wrong things.

You should be asking how you can fix the broken part of you that trashes your self-worth.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:23 AM

290 posts, read 214,421 times
how on earth do guys like these get women interested in them so much ??? blows my freaking mind.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:26 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Why did you add that tidbit? No one here said that.

If you honestly think you were not good enough for the guy you described, you seriously need therapy.... NOW!

Old 01-06-2017, 11:34 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
No, it has nothing to do with you supposedly not being good enough for him. Again, it wasn't you, it's him. He's a flake. You did nothing wrong.

Was this your first bf in a very long time? I can see getting caught up in romantic conversations and situations, talking about the future: kids, no kids, what would the future look like, etc., but you were not being grounded in reality when you got caught up in this. Reality: he wouldn't be able to support kids (and may already be supporting one or two). Fantasy: "Let's talk about whether we'd want kids together."

Reality: you didn't even know him for a long enough time to have such a conversation! You've only known him--what, maybe 2 or 3 months? Only seen him in person how many times? Way premature to have conversations about the future.
Reality: he lives in a room. He's too absorbed in youtube to be interested in seeing you much. Even when he's with you, he fiddles with his phone a lot.
Does that sound like a mature, normal person?

Reality: he has kids that he's not allowed to see. (Huge red flag!)

So, OP, now that we've recapped, can you give any rational reason as to why you thought this was someone you could have a future with? Why on Earth are you thinking YOU weren't good enough for HIM? Can you not see that it was the other way around? Why would you stay hung up on a guy like this, just because he said all the right things and was charming the first couple of times you hung out together? This is why I ask: was this your first bf-type encounter in a few years? Or was this the first guy who EVER paid you any attention? Were you feeling lonely or something?

Because it doesn't make sense. People here are struggling to understand why you're so hung up on this guy, and why you're beating yourself up about him. See what I'm saying? It says some very worrisome things about you, that you don't value yourself enough to see that this guy has NOTHING going for him, while you, presumably, do have your act together. However, you won't have your act together for long if you continue to fall for guys like this!

Old 01-06-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, it has nothing to do with you supposedly not being good enough for him. Again, it wasn't you, it's him. He's a flake. You did nothing wrong.

Was this your first bf in a very long time? I can see getting caught up in romantic conversations and situations, talking about the future: kids, no kids, what would the future look like, etc., but you were not being grounded in reality when you got caught up in this. Reality: he wouldn't be able to support kids (and may already be supporting one or two). Fantasy: "Let's talk about whether we'd want kids together."

Reality: you didn't even know him for a long enough time to have such a conversation! You've only known him--what, maybe 2 or 3 months? Only seen him in person how many times? Way premature to have conversations about the future.
Reality: he lives in a room. He's too absorbed in youtube to be interested in seeing you much. Even when he's with you, he fiddles with his phone a lot.
Does that sound like a mature, normal person?

Reality: he has kids that he's not allowed to see. (Huge red flag!)

So, OP, now that we've recapped, can you give any rational reason as to why you thought this was someone you could have a future with? Why on Earth are you thinking YOU weren't good enough for HIM? Can you not see that it was the other way around? Why would you stay hung up on a guy like this, just because he said all the right things and was charming the first couple of times you hung out together? This is why I ask: was this your first bf-type encounter in a few years? Or was this the first guy who EVER paid you any attention? Were you feeling lonely or something?

Because it doesn't make sense. People here are struggling to understand why you're so hung up on this guy, and why you're beating yourself up about him. See what I'm saying? It says some very worrisome things about you, that you don't value yourself enough to see that this guy has NOTHING going for him, while you, presumably, do have your act together. However, you won't have your act together for long if you continue to fall for guys like this!
No I had been dating other people before him.
I was lonely tho,my mum passed away and I've felt quite sad and down since..one of my depression triggers was loosing my mum.
I've got my own place (well rented apartment) and I live alone so do get lonely.
I have family and Lots of nice friends but it's not the same as having some male affection.
Maybe il look back at this and realise that it wasn't him specifically it was the feeling of being wanted and with someone ..I don't know for certain.
I've had a bad relationship before after a year he ghosted me after being friends for 6 years,took me a while to get over that ...and this has been the second time it's happened

Old 01-06-2017, 01:49 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
... il look back at this and realise that it wasn't him specifically it was the feeling of being wanted and with someone ..
Yes. You want to fill that space with quality people, not a-holes.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:50 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
No I had been dating other people before him.
I was lonely tho,my mum passed away and I've felt quite sad and down since..one of my depression triggers was loosing my mum.
I've got my own place (well rented apartment) and I live alone so do get lonely.
I have family and Lots of nice friends but it's not the same as having some male affection.
Maybe il look back at this and realise that it wasn't him specifically it was the feeling of being wanted and with someone ..I don't know for certain.
I've had a bad relationship before after a year he ghosted me after being friends for 6 years,took me a while to get over that ...and this has been the second time it's happened
OK, there's some good insight there. Ponder that.

I wouldn't say at all that "this is the second time it's happened". Knowing a very flakey guy with a checkered past is not at all the same as being in an ACTUAL RELATIONSHIP, with someone for a long time, and having them suddenly disappear. It's not clear what you mean that you'd "been friends" for 6 years. You were platonic friends, then at some point got into a relationship? Or does "friends" mean you had a sexual relationship for 6 years? Hard to believe someone would just vanish after a 6-yr. relationship. I almost wonder if there was some kind of back story there, too, like with this one.

In any case, it seems clear that you could benefit from some grief counseling, re: the loss of your mum. I'm sorry for your loss, OP, and that kind of thing can be a major setback. It can be easy to get stuck in the grieving process, and sometimes people need a little boost from some professional help to get out of their funk. I think it's your depression that caused you to misperceive the situation with this guy, and to cling to it with such (unrealistic) hope. Please be good to yourself, and seek out a grief and loss counselor. You'll be surprised, it can really work wonders if you get a good one.

Take care, OP. It's a New Year; time for a New You, and a cheerier outlook.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yes. You want to fill that space with quality people, not a-holes.
I know..there's other things which aren't good about him but I won't mention as you've already got the jist of things...

Old 01-06-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, there's some good insight there. Ponder that.

I wouldn't say at all that "this is the second time it's happened". Knowing a very flakey guy with a checkered past is not at all the same as being in an ACTUAL RELATIONSHIP, with someone for some time, and having them suddenly disappear. It's not clear what you mean that you'd "been friends" for 6 years. You were platonic friends, then at some point got into a relationship? Or does "friends" mean you had a sexual relationship for 6 years? Hard to believe someone would just vanish after a 6-yr. relationship. I almost wonder if there was some kind of back story there, too, like with this one.

In any case, it seems clear that you could benefit from some grief counseling, re: the loss of your mom. I'm sorry for your loss, OP, and that kind of thing can be a major setback. It can be easy to get stuck in the grieving process, and sometimes people need a little boost from some professional help to get out of their funk. I think it's your depression that caused you to misperceive the situation with this guy, and to cling to it with such (unrealistic) hope. Please be good to yourself, and seek out a grief and loss counselor. You'll be surprised, it can really work wonders if you get a good one.

Take care, OP. It's a New Year; time for a New You, and a cheerier outlook.
The friend for 6 years ..we had dated a few times when he wanted basically.
I've never had a good relationship with a man.
They've all been the same.
Thankyou ..I hope this year is better than the last
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships